Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Booking advantages of digital

Author Topic: Booking advantages of digital
Paul Looker
Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2011 08:43 PM      Profile for Paul Looker   Email Paul Looker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wondering if anyone could chime in on the booking advantages of digital cinema. Would I have still have been turned down for that print of Precious last November when it first expanded if I had a digital screen for it? I would think that if it's out there to be had if I was running all digital I should be able to show whatever I want and not get the same old line about how this movie is going to higher grossing theaters only. What's the scoop guys? Anyone have any first hand experience?

|  IP: Logged

Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2011 11:11 PM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As of right now you will find it easier to get movies if you are NOT receiving VPFs. I know of operators who are self financed and have lower guarantees on the break if they are in that marginal area. $1000 in many instances where you will find a $1500 guarantee if film.

Plus, in two years you will probably have no choice 8-9 mos. a year. I believe you will stick get Iron Man 3 on film and other tent pole titles in the summer or Christmas.

It does seem that most studios will allow better access to movies when it all settles. just make sure that they know you are not getting a VPF. I believe 90% of the digital locations are receiving VPFs which why many studios book the same way they always do.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-20-2011 11:47 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There have definitely been some times when we have been able to get a title in digital, that our neighboring 35mm theatre down the road was not able to get on film until a couple of weeks later. And, since we have 3D there have been a couple of times we were able to get a 3D booking when there were no 35mm prints available to the neighboring theatre.

Having said that -- don't get a pie-in-the-sky notion about digital being a perfect world where you can play any movie you want to. The often-floated notion that "a movie can open in every town in the country on the same day!" ain't happening -- not yet, anyway. The studios largely book JUST LIKE THEY ALWAYS DID, meaning there is only a finite number of prints available, be they digital or film. And, they still require two or three (or sometimes four) weeks to get a movie on the break.

For us, I would say it's about 90% just like it was before. (For the record, we are not on a VPF program.)

Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2011 11:57 AM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

I think it will get easier for locations that are 3+ screens because you will be able to play movies for 3 weeks. Now if you are a single screen that is only able to give a movie one or two weeks, it will not be much difference.

The key of course is many many locations asking and letting their studio reps know they are not getting VPFs. This still a new concept to the studios b/c so few small theaters have not gone a vpf route. I have at least 3 district managers of studios tell that they do think there will be increased availability.

How much you can plug in to your forecasting model for conversion is a tough question.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-22-2011 06:17 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The word from our booker this week is that this one certain film company is booking their 3-week-old movie at 35% in 35mm, and 40% in digital. WTF??

Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2011 08:21 PM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
VPFs and/or the higher cost to book the move-over. 35mm cost the studio nothing. Digital they have to pay whoever to administer that key code.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 08-22-2011 09:00 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right now I only have 2 of 5 screens digital, but there are a couple things I have seen already.

1. We have been able to get a couple titles in week 2 that we did not have room for on the break. With 35mm, it has always been at least week 3 unless the studio expands the release in week 2.

2. We have been able to hold titles for 1 or 2 shows after we would have normally had to drop the title. Once we have all 5 screens digital, I expect we will frequently have a title playing only one or two shows per day. With 35mm, it was very seldom we were allowed to split a screen - especially in the first 2-3 weeks.

I do know that for 8/26 we were not able to get Columbiana or Idiot Brother despite having a digital screen available. And we are not receiving VPFs yet. And we are not guaranteed Shark Night on 9/2 even if we take digital.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-22-2011 11:42 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Frese
VPFs and/or the higher cost to book the move-over. 35mm cost the studio nothing. Digital they have to pay whoever to administer that key code.
The booking cost would be the same. There is no cost for the drive, they're just sending out one that somebody else used -- just like with film. We are paying all of the shipping. We're not on a VPF program.

That leaves emailing us the KDM. 5% of our gross could run anywhere up to a couple of hundred bucks....I can't imagine it costs THAT much to generate and email a KDM. (If it does, then we're all in the wrong business!)

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 08-23-2011 08:59 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Disney made no bones about it. They said out loud that if installed digital, it changed nothing. If you weren't getting product from them in film, you wouldn't be getting it just because you have a digital box. In other words, if it was like root canal to get a good deal from them when you were running film, there's no novocane in your future by virtue of your $70 thousand digital expenditure.

Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2011 10:51 PM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank,

You are correct, Disney is not one of those that is/could make it easier for better availability. Others have been positive about better availability in the future. I think there needs to be more 1st-run self-financed converted theaters asking.

Mike,

Remember that almost all digital theaters receive VPFs for up to 6 weeks. Very few do not receive VPFs. I would imagine that number is 10% or less right now. Have your booker remind the studio rep that you do not. I know of situations where the guarantee on the break is lower for digital than film. Unfortunately, the guarantees on movies off the break are higher for digital than film (usually $100 more). So there is a higher cost. Putting the movie on the hard drive?

BTW, $200 at 5% is $4000 gross! That is pretty damn good for a move-over. How often do gross $4000 on a move-over? If often, kudos! You are pretty damn fortunate.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: