Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Ingesting Doremi DCP2000 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Ingesting Doremi DCP2000
William F Green
Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2011 09:48 AM      Profile for William F Green   Email William F Green   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure this will seem a daft question to those that do it all the time but bear with me.. In about a week or so we will have our first DCP server/projector.
Server is a Doremi DCP2000 and my question is about ingest. The manual mentions SATA ingest but makes no mention of how to do this only describing USB ingest. It describes USB ingest as being in 'real time' with SATA being about two thirds real time.
Is there a faster way than USB? Can a drive be slotted into one of the 3 drive bays for ingest?
If so, which drive bay?

|  IP: Logged

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-18-2011 10:20 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A faster way than USB? Yeah. As the manual notes, SATA is faster. And forgive my ignorance on this particular server, but if it's got an external slot then you'd use that would provide an SATA connection for drives that can be separated from the USB portion.

William F Green
Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2011 10:28 AM      Profile for William F Green   Email William F Green   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Chris,
Sorry my question was badly worded - I know the SATA interface is going to be quicker than USB, I just meant how to I connect to a SATA interface on this server?
I don't have the server in front of me but the manual shows just three slots and these are all occupied with RAID drives so I'm a little puzzled.
I'm trying to get up to speed before the server actually comes.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-18-2011 10:50 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It's called a CRU drive bay. You have to pull apart the hard drives and dock it in. Much faster and eliminates jacking around with the cables.

Of course then again you will get a movie on these old antique drives that Deluxe likes to send out that are USB only. A popular theory for why these drives are constantly failing is that they are dropped down the stairs multiple times before returning to get them out of circulation.

William F Green
Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2011 10:53 AM      Profile for William F Green   Email William F Green   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok thanks Brad, CRU.
I can't imagine how I'm going to manage with USB when we have 4 to 6 different features on the same screen in a weekend. Is a CRU drive bay fitted as an extra or is it integrated with the server?

Chase Pickett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2011 12:21 PM      Profile for Chase Pickett   Email Chase Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know I'm not Brad but I don't think there is. I'm pretty sure there is just a 2.0 USB. I hope I'm wrong though, with that many features needing to be ingested.

William F Green
Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2011 12:34 PM      Profile for William F Green   Email William F Green   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it is just USB that's seriously depressing - could be up to 10+ hours of ingesting each weekend! Maybe I can get an external drive bay to hook-up with the Doremi. Or maybe when the server arrives I will have a pleasant surprise and find I'm worrying about nothing...

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2011 01:37 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
William,

No external ports for hooking up a CRU bay or an external SATA drive on that server.

It's got 2 x USB 2.0 on the front, if you're lucky, they both might even work.

There are other USB ports on the back too.

Pietro Clarici
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2011 02:45 PM      Profile for Pietro Clarici   Author's Homepage   Email Pietro Clarici   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The standard DCP-2000 only supports ingestion via USB: the DCP-2K4 adds a CRU slot and DVD drive, but as a result you lose the touchscreen, so for local control a VGA monitor, keyboard and mouse are needed.

Anyway, I think there is an optional eSATA board available for the DCP-2000, and a rack mounted unit with 1 CRU slot and a DVD drive that connects to it.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 08-18-2011 03:54 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@William - the Doremi may hold 4-6 features on his RAID system, depending on the capacity of your unit. So you only need about 'one' realtime timeslot per feature to ingest in advance over USB. USB will give you about 15-30Mbyte/s, that is about realtime for DCP features. SATA can be four times faster - but currently is only available through the slot-in CRU on DCP2k4 units.

If I remember right, you have bought the second-hand DCN system. These will probably be touchscreen DCP2000 without the CRU Carrier, thus USB only. You will probably be okay for a while with USB, but should inquire at Doremi for SATA options.

http://www.doremilabs.com/products/cinema-products/

http://www.youtube.com/user/DoremiCinema

Sooner or later you will consider to buy your own CRU carrier so you just pop in any drive to ingest faster if needed. These carriers are relatively expensive now that they are the defacto digital cinema standard, but you only need one. Sometimes USB is dead on the drives, so you should have a backup solution anyway.

http://www.cru-dataport.com/products/Digital-Cinema.php

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CRU-data-express-dx115-carrier-only-SATA-6607-7100-0500-/20062 2085070?pt=PCC_Drives_Storage_Internal&hash=item2eb60213ce#ht_3552wt_907

- Carsten

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-18-2011 09:14 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doremi must have an outboard rack mount CRU option for that server by now! CRU does make them. Probably not cheap though... Would have to be via eSATA to have any real ingest speed.

Mark

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2011 09:23 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But does the DCP2000 have an eSATA port? I can look at one next week, but my memory tells me it does not.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-18-2011 09:34 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, they don't - USB only for local injests.

But, there is a get-around with this if fundage is available and that is to get a library server and a TMS (Theatre Management System) program on a booth computer, with all the individual servers are tied together via local network to the library server.

This way, one injest all of the many HD content into the library server (which will have at least 6Tb of disc space with 6, 1Tb drives in a RAID configuration, along with 4 CRU bays), make the playlists there, then the TMS "pushes" the playlist and assigned content out to the individual servers that are assigned to receive the completed content.

Really simplifies the builds..

-Monte

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 08-19-2011 04:19 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You don't need a TMS, any DCP-2000 or DCP-2k4 can connect to a networked computer or NAS through FTP. However, this will still not be as fast as SATA ingest, at least with affordable devices.

I would first try to live with USB, and inquire at Doremi for upgrade options. These boards definitly have internal SATA connectors. I just don't know if Doremis software can use them for ingest without changes, and if the SATA on these older units is compatible with modern drives.

- Carsten

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2011 07:58 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Carsten. Also, it sounds like we're talking about a single screen here. If that's the case, I'm not sure all that network infrastructure is worth the effort and money.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: