Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Doremi ->JSD80 wiring?

Author Topic: Doremi ->JSD80 wiring?
Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 08-12-2011 01:08 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was attending a new installation yesterday. A new Doremi DCP2k4 should have been connected to a (pre-existing) JSD80 AES input (which had never been utilized before).

Unit came with an AES/DB25 cable (probably 1:1), plus a short dongle-style adaptor 'AES to JSD' (marked as such). The JSD80 would not detect the Doremi audio and give a corresponding error msg, and fallback. We checked wiring diagrams we had on location and noticed they showed a different pinout for Doremi and JSD - hence the adaptor.

Then someone just decided to try without the adaptor - and voila, all audio was there.

What have we been missing here? Did Doremi correct their wiring, or JSD?

- Carsten

|  IP: Logged

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 08-12-2011 02:55 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if this is your problem or not, but the JSD80 and JSD100 have different pinouts.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2011 03:42 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The cable supplied with Doremi that has ends designated server and cinema processor is not wired pin to pin, it suits Doremi to Dolby or in your case JSD80 (as JSD80 and Dolby have the same pinout).

There is usually another cable supplied, much shorter. This is pin to pin and is to be used between the Doremi server and their D2A prodcut. They then supply another cable to connect the analogue output to the host CP.

Sebastian Binz
Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2011 08:16 AM      Profile for Sebastian Binz   Email Sebastian Binz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The short pin changer Carsten is referring to was supplied with the JSD in 2008 and is described in this document, suggesting that it is always necessary to use this dongle when hooking up a DCI server:
http://uslinc.com/images/products/download/JSD80D_Digital_Connector.pdf

However, the pin changer was not necessary and the Doremi went straight into the JSD with the cable supplied by Doremi.

Carsten is asking whether anyone changed the pinout-specs of the audio connectors in the time between 2008 and today.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 08-14-2011 08:52 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the long black cable that came with the Doremi indeed has no 1:1 wiring but is tailored to the 2k4->JSD80 connection.

I thought it comes as standard with the Doremi servers and as such I would assume 1:1 wiring. Strange there are so many different AES-D25 pinouts anyway...

If JSD80 and Dolby have the same pinout, then of course it makes sense to ship a 1:1 cable for AUD-D2A plus a tailored cinema processor cable.

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: