Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Sony SRX-R220 illumination (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Sony SRX-R220 illumination
Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2011 04:07 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody here have first-hand experience with a dim R220?
I've got two houses that are identical. Same size, make, and model screen. Same projector (R220), and roughly the same throw.
Same lamp in both, in fact the dim one has a new lamp (symptoms existed before the lamp was installed).

The good house reads 8fL in 3D and 26 in 2D at full power.

The bad house reads 3.5 and 10 respectively and really looks terrible.

The PS converter is a bit worn in but no more so than the big houses which both read dead-on DCI spec or a bit over and those houses have bigger lamps and have run more hours on the optics.

The house in question has a brand new PRD (problem existed before PRD swap) as well.

Sony's first suggestion was try changing the PS converter. We'll see how that goes since it needs to come out anyhow, but just wondering if anyones experienced this before?

|  IP: Logged

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2011 05:02 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had issues before, and cleaning the PRD significantly improved the quality and amount of light on screen. But you installed a new PRD, so that isn't the issue here. When I clean a PRD, I also inspect and, if necessary, clean each of the elements in the LRD. You inspected the PS Converter, so I'm guessing you inspected the rest of the elements in the LRD. Still, even if the elements in the LRD are dirty, that shouldn't be enough to cause the problem you describe. I wonder if there is an issue with the lens? You could try swapping with another house. Of course one of the first things to check is lamp alignment, but I'm sure you've already done that! [Smile]

What size screen are we talking about? I wonder if the screen could be pushing the limits of Sony's spec for maximum size. Also, since the other houses you mention use larger lamps, there is headroom here, so perhaps simply increasing the lamp size will solve the problem.

Please keep us posted. I'd like to know what the solution is when you find one.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-10-2011 09:35 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...are your bulbs black after 500 hrs of usage?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-11-2011 05:38 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to say... What illumination? [Embarrassed]

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2011 06:13 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My 220's cook lamps black in 500 hours. Just before replacement time, I start noticing that the white white parts of the image now have a reddish look to them.

My 320's bulbs look like new at 570 hours.

What illumination? Monte, Mark, you read my mind!!

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 08-11-2011 09:41 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One word:

Sony.

As Mythbusters would say, "Well there's your problem."

Anyone else find it odd the Dominic is having so many problems with lamps and illumination lately? Who the hell was messing with his equipment before he got there?

Jerome Holmes
Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2011 11:26 PM      Profile for Jerome Holmes   Email Jerome Holmes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He's probably playing with his new spectrometer :-p

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-12-2011 03:20 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bruce McGee
My 320's bulbs look like new at 570 hours
What's your secret in keeping them clear .. took out the screen above the bulb that covers the EXH entrance?

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2011 11:28 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No secret, Monte. They just do this. They have the exact same blowers on the roof as the 220's. Also running them at full power.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2011 01:05 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jerome Holmes
He's probably playing with his new spectrometer :-p
You're absolutely correct, Jerry. I need to do both the downtown theaters still. I'm afraid of what I'm going to find in at the 3.

quote: Tony Bandiera Jr was the last to post
Sony.
I knew I was opening a pandoras box with this thread...

Yes, when I do PM on the machine I clean the PRD and at lesat inspect the LRD. Usually the first and last lenses in the LRD are what get dirty but yes, you are correct, they aren't typically going to create that big a problem.

I don't have the measurements for this screen in front of me as i write but it's one of the smalelr houses. Roughly 18' wide.
There's a 3K lamp in the projector (since we also do 3D) and the screen is identical in size to the house pushing 26fL in 2D mode.

quote: Monte L Fullmer
...are your bulbs black after 500 hrs of usage?
No. No they are not.
What lamps are you using?

We tried LTI/Philips and those seemed to go pretty fast. Our old "tech" decided to have the lamps turned off between shows as well.
At that time we would have lamps spontaneously stop striking within a day of the lamp alert coming up.
If they did last longer than that they were black.
The not striking thing went away as soon as we started leaving the lamps on between shows.

The blackness at age issue seemed to be mostly limited to the LTI/Philips lamps.

Now that I can comfotably check my light levels once a month I an be extra certain about what I'm getting [Wink]
In the house I'm using by comparisson to the dim house as well as the 2 larger houses I have:
3K lamp -- double the fL of DCI spec @ 100% power -- I'm running it lower a tad, not by much, and full power in 3D to get all I can out of it.

4K lamp, (roughly) 36x17 screen, exactly at DCI spec @ 85% power currently.

4K lamp, same as the other, exactly at DCI spec @ 99%.

The lamp alert is up on all 3 of those machines. The highest of which was nearing 600 hours I believe. With no striking, flickering, and only slight discoloring on the envelope.

I have noticed some houses more so than others get a little black spot on the front top of the envelope where as others just don't. Perhaps they don't get hot enough.

I feel like it's an airflow thing. Even though we're pushing the > Sony-recommended 550cfm, the 4200w lamphouses are warmer than I'd like them to be.

I could continue rambling but I'll stop now.
[beer]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-12-2011 01:29 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dominic Espinosa
The blackness at age issue seemed to be mostly limited to the LTI/Philips lamps
I even had black ones with Ushio lamps ... bet it's an exhaust issue then ...

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 08-12-2011 02:02 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SONY, I understand, is about to introduce a DARKNESS meter. Their's will read higher than anyone elses. Louis

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-12-2011 02:51 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yellow lamp alert .. definite time for a pull since that means they've passed warranty hours ...

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2011 12:50 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte, does anyone really ever pull them at exactly warranty hours?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-13-2011 12:57 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We do .. Mandatory company policy. Any red tail lights or flashing yellow status lights means bulb changeout pronto!

For if a bulb blows and takes a reflector due to going past warranty, the person in charge of bulb maintainence could face termination since the person failed in following company policy.

Thus, I'll catch them when they've got 10 or less hrs on them before warranty hours expire.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: