Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Help with my movie... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Help with my movie...
Jenn Jennings
Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2011 07:26 AM      Profile for Jenn Jennings   Author's Homepage   Email Jenn Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,
I am working on a documentary on how digital is changing the way we see movies and how this potentially will kill a lot of independent movie houses. The pros, cons and confusion of what exactly is happening out there. I have received multiple answers on what is happenings with the VPF deals, the fact that you need to sign a non-disclosure to even talk with Cinedigm, and how this is effecting the small mom & pop theaters out there. If you are a theater owner/operator I would like to know how you feel about this and if possible, document you on camera. Please post here if you like. Also, if you wish to speak out about this issue in private we can do so with undercover precision.

I look forward to hearing and learning more about this.

[ 08-06-2011, 07:56 AM: Message edited by: Brad Miller ]

|  IP: Logged

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-06-2011 07:49 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone didn't read the site rules...

Namely the one against teaser titles.

Jenn Jennings
Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2011 07:55 AM      Profile for Jenn Jennings   Author's Homepage   Email Jenn Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry about that, fixed it I hope that's better

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-06-2011 07:56 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Jenn - welcome to the forums, but do not post again until you have read all of the rules. You broke 2 rules in your first post.

Jenn Jennings
Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2011 07:58 AM      Profile for Jenn Jennings   Author's Homepage   Email Jenn Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have and you beat me to my edit..i was on my way to remove my email...so sorry about that.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-06-2011 09:31 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope that this will be shot on film. Or else with a really crappy Handycam.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-06-2011 02:11 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One simple instruction to independents: "Don't sign any contracts!"

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2011 01:44 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I read the idea for your documentary I interpret it to mean, “I'm exploring how the world of cinema is changing and I'm looking for people who will whine about it either openly or secretly.” I fail to see why this is a compelling story for anyone who doesn't already work in the industry and who hasn't already seen the writing on the wall for years. If you hope to turn back the tide then you'll have to convince the general public that this is something worth thinking about. And that's not going to happen. And if you merely want to document this moment without hoping to change anything then... yawn... I still don't see the appeal.

As projectionists, we are like blacksmiths in a world where people don't use horses to commute to work anymore. We can complain that our skills and craftsmanship will be lost to history but, on the other hand, the market doesn't need us the way it used to. And there's no turning back the clock.

You'll find people who'll say that movies don't look as good since theatres stopped using carbon arc lamps. It doesn't matter. We're never going back to that. Digital sound isn't as good as analog 6-track magnetic sound, they say. But it doesn't matter because we're never going back to that.

If you want to explore the switch from film to digital you're just taking a snapshot of what's happening right now. But “bad things” have been happening to the business for over 30 years. In the 1970s, the switch from changeover systems to platter systems was a blow to the projectionist trade. In the 1980s, the trend towards multiplexes hurt the smaller venues. The early 1990s brought us a lot of multiplexes with 8 or more screens, which hurt the 2-screen and 4-screen businesses. Then the 8-plexes were hurt in the late-1990s because all of the newer 8-plexes and 12-plexes had stadium seating. And never mind how Hollywood has pushed the emphasis towards opening weekend grosses (and nobody cares to wait all summer for a movie to make its money).

So now the big, bad bully on the playground is digital. Meanwhile, the customer is getting what they want. Let's face it, there hasn't been a designated projectionist keeping a constant eye on each screen to ensure a flawless performance since... before most of us were born. And, with that kind of business model, a digital system does seem to offer a more predictable, trouble-free experience for the customer. They also don't have to wait weeks before a movie has a non-sold-out show on a Saturday night. And if they miss the movie they can watch it on their iPhone at the end of the summer anyway. Most people don't have a state-of-the-art sound system or monitor at home but DVDs with Dolby Digital are still so much better than the VHS we grew up with. So, as much as some around here would deny it, the bar has generally been raised anyway.

In summary: If the customers aren't upset then where's your story?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-07-2011 06:10 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's supposedly the theater owners that are upset... Although all of the theater owners I've put in digital for were very happy with it when all was said and done. I can't get systems installed fast enough! What the world does need is a documentary on the conversion to digital from 100 year old existing Edison technology. In reality, digital projection accomplishes a huge chunk of what film only strives to do. The conversion to digital is a big deal for the movie buisness historically speaking... just like sound and color movies were and how Cinerama and Cinemascope saved the movies. Weather you want to agree with it or not the general public DOES notice the difference... especially older people do. Digital has improved the presentations at countless cinemas all over the world. Indeed, the industry conversion to digital deserves a story of it's own.

@ Monte... What do you mean by that? What contract? The present VPF contract is not all that bad of a deal. One gets back about 75% of what one puts in. How can that be a bad deal?

Mark

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-07-2011 08:24 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Greg Anderson
the big, bad bully on the playground is digital.
...I like this one - picking on "poor" digital once again when it's really not digital's fault in the first place to appear prominent where, once again, it's the user that began the need for digital. Thus, it's quite a very unfair statement to make.

But, that's more of a complicated situation that caused digital to come forth outside of film machine operators ... and we can point some of the finger to the high budgets of filmmaking...and the price of oil to make the prints and not getting any return for the use...why carbon arc went out the window for xenon since there was no gain in using this procedure.

Goes back to the old cliche of: "Motorcycles kills people!" No.."people kill people!" I'm a biker and I know how to handle a motorcycle and seeing some of the goons on these
"bullet bikes" deserves to place themselves in jeparody of facing death.

True, VPF contracts are good, but it's getting 3rd parties involved to acquire the equipment that could have its consequences.

Jenn Jennings
Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2011 09:39 PM      Profile for Jenn Jennings   Author's Homepage   Email Jenn Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@Greg Don't interpet anything...also, I am doing this as my thesis for film school so relax.
I am not really looking for the projectionist perspective(I have plenty of that) but rather the owner that is not qualified for the VPF deals and can't really afford to get a 3rd party digital system and is torn on what to do. Some are making the choices to close their doors after many years of business, some are switching to non-profits to keep the places alive and community supported. Some folks are just really confused and some are denying that film will ever go away.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-07-2011 10:07 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jenn Jennings
Some folks are just really confused and some are denying that film will ever go away.

..and I do really believe, it's the latter. This whole digital thing also has a similie of the "Y2K" thing that all computers and computer related equipment will cease to operate when the clocks hits "010100" ... and that really did raise quite the stir.

That comment that Fithian made at CinemaCom was not a quote to be taken as gospel, but just a subjective comment due to facts laid out and the progress laid out by digital conversions, that film will be extinct by 2013...and once again, it's raising a stir...

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-07-2011 10:44 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte.... Actually his quote is pretty much on target and it is based on several things, not speculation. With filum labs increasingly shutting down and or consolidating and at the present rate of conversion the 2013 date is pretty firm. It's just that simple. Film on a large scale will be gone. What film prints are still struck will be extremely expensive to produce.

quote: Jenn Jennings
and some are denying that film will ever go away.

There are a plenty of those here on this board!

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-08-2011 12:39 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
What film prints are still struck will be extremely expensive to produce.

...in which we'll prob be seeing prints being circulated like it was in the olden days: a market demand where large cities got the prints first, then were trickled down to the smaller towns...used and abused by then.

quote:
There are a plenty of those here on this board!

.....fully agree!

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-08-2011 09:56 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
...in which we'll prob be seeing prints being circulated like it was in the olden days: a market demand where large cities got the prints first, then were trickled down to the smaller towns...used and abused by then.
The large cities will be converted...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: