Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Drive Fail Rate (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Drive Fail Rate
Ed Forth
Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2011 06:33 PM      Profile for Ed Forth   Author's Homepage   Email Ed Forth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I manage a one screen subrun that just switched to digital

Tomorrow will be the fifth week and I just received my second non-working drive (out of 10 total features).

Is this normal, or am I just unlucky?

|  IP: Logged

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2011 08:09 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unlucky I suppose. I've never had a failed drive come in in the 2+ years we've had digital. I've had bad power supplies, but I was able to use one from another drive.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-21-2011 09:10 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Were the two failures from the original installation? There may have been a bad batch of drives.

What brand and model is it? What interface (SATA, SAS, or SCSI)?

For the most part, disks will either fail soon after installation or will last for many years.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2011 09:32 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think he's referring to "feature" drives from TES or DFS. At least that's the way I read it.

Phil Ranucci
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2011 11:30 PM      Profile for Phil Ranucci   Email Phil Ranucci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only one totally dead drive in over 2 years(I'm probably jinxing myself).I've had some drives that won't mount as a CRU drive, but will load through the USB port. Much slower, but usable.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-22-2011 12:43 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't had a bad drive yet, except I had one CRU type drive that I could NOT get out of the carrier. I tried everything I could think of but it was like the thing was glued together. Just ingested it via USB rather than bust something trying to get it apart. (It was a Deluxe drive.)

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 07-22-2011 01:03 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just had one last week (one of the Trail Mix drives) that wouldn't slide into the CRU slot. There didn't appear to be anything obviously bent or wrong with it, but it would slide in about 2/3 of the way and get stuck. I set up the little power supply and hooked it up through the USB port and ingested it that way. First time I've had to do that.

Boy, USB transfer is ghawd-awful slow compared to directly copying it via the CRU slot. What takes maybe ten minutes to do via CRU took about 40 minutes via USB.

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2011 01:11 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had one or two bad drives in the five years of dealing with digital cinema. Failure rate far below 1/5th of one percent.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-22-2011 01:36 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..Sounds like a Sony unit - they have fits with TECH drives at times and refuse to recognize the drive...and it's USB only on the local injest - no drive sled.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-22-2011 08:54 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
USB 3.0 to the rescue...! That is at least if the drive caddys are also updated to USB 3.0.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-22-2011 11:57 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
USB3 is a stupid, stupid feature to add to a server. The industry has standardized on CRU drives and they are NOT going to run out and buy new drives with a USB3 connector.

Talk about a complete waste of money on R&D.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-22-2011 12:39 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Evidently, I misinterpreted the original question.

Question: when a movie disk is returned to the depot, does someone verify that the contents are correct before the disk is shipped to another theatre? Or is it possible for a theatre that plays the movie after its opening date to get a wiped or otherwise corrupt copy?

[ 07-22-2011, 09:52 PM: Message edited by: Scott Norwood ]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-22-2011 01:59 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
or otherwise corrupt copy?

I've had to request duplicate drives (or go to a location and borrow their HD copy until my duplicate arrives..) due to the injest manager program can't see the content on the drives - in either USB connected or CRU slot install.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 07-22-2011 09:05 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They haven't checked film prints in 30 years, I don't see any reason why they would start checking electronic devices

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 07-23-2011 05:02 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depends I guess. One major posthouse I recently spoke to is formatting every drive they get back, because they regularly find weird stuff,alien data, viruses, etc. on these drives. Seems a lot of cinemas use intermediate storage on local machines with plain-vanilla operating systems and the usual candidates of possible issues with them.
So, even if they send out this drive with the same content later again, is has been wiped before.

Checking a whole drive for bad blocks takes considerable time. Though I guess that when they copy new content to it, they will usually perform at least a validation of the data they actually copied before the drive is sent out.

Of course, drives will fail sooner or later. This is the only business where so many magnetomechanical drives are shipped around on a regular schedule. Though this is not perfectly in line with drive specs, the amount of failures seems to be quite small. Once SSDs are becoming considerably cheaper, we will see even less issues. They will probably then ship them in cushion envelopes instead of boxes.

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: