Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Christie CP2220 pedestal (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Christie CP2220 pedestal
Trevor Cable
Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2011 05:30 PM      Profile for Trevor Cable   Email Trevor Cable   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,
Next week I will be installing a new CP2220. I purchased it with the optional pedestal mount. I have never used one of these Christie pedestals before and am curious if it includes a power strip built in. My Barco DP100 came with the pedestal with a 208V power strip built in. Does anyone know if the Christie also includes a power strip? And what voltage it is?

Also, I am presuming the Christie UPS input can be either 120V or 208V. Is this a correct presumption? My CP2210 supports both so I'd guess the CP2220 also does. The manual was not clear on this.
Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-28-2011 11:54 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have found the Christie pedestal to be the most useless piece of gear ever devised. Both the Eprad and the Strong pedestal are compatable with the Christie you ordered. Both offer power distribution options. The Strong ped. is about the same cost as the Christie ped. Both the Eprad and the Strong pedestal actually have a tilting platform and both types offer two seperate rack spaces while Eprad offers 4 different styles of bases depending on what your needs are... from small to very large and you can also integrate their light dimmers into the base. The slick part about the Eprad pedestals is that the racks themselves are removable from the pedestal to facilitate easier assembly and wiring on the bench. Then you slide the assembled and wired rack back into the pedestal and bolt it in place. Also makes moving an assembled system into the booth much easier.

Brad also makes a nice pedestal but I'm not sure if he offers it for sale as a seperate piece or not.

Mark

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 09-29-2016 05:07 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 1919 days since the last post.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2016 05:07 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

Do you know if Eprad manufactures the Strong pedestal for them? IFIRC Eprad used to build some (maybe all?) 35mm automations from Strong.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-29-2016 05:43 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
eprad builds strong pedestals

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-29-2016 05:57 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When Mark's last post was written, Strong made their own pedestal too (they were still a manufacturer then). Now, all of Strong's pedestals (and just about everything else that is manufactured is OEMed to them).

The Eprad pedestal prices have jumped up significantly in the last year or two though. They are nice pedestals and have quite a few valuable features to them. I also like MIT pedestals.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-30-2016 08:45 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i like the kneisley base low cost functional

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-30-2016 02:03 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MIT offers the most bang for the buck in pedestals these days....

Gord,

Kneisley is nothing but a name any more. Its not like Betty still answers the phone there in Toledo.

Mark

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2016 03:59 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for dragging up such an old thread. Thank you all for the replies! [Smile]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-30-2016 04:06 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are part of Sonic they also make dimmers

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 09-30-2016 04:36 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the MIT pedestals, they make the solid (not "flatpack") Barco ones for N.A. as well I believe. The tilting projector plate is a very good feature.
The removable rack assembly from Eprad sounds sweet, but I wouldn't pay a much for it. We try to put minimal equipment in the pedestal anyway, servicing stuff on my knees with head inside a pedestal is not ideal.
The Christie quick-release side panels are a good design featured. The snap-nut rack rails are not. Just try to find those snap nuts in 10-32 if you don't want to use Christie's 1/4" screws (I know you can... but they aren't at Home Despot).

Steve Guttag

- posted 10-01-2016 03:44 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Though clearly Barco and MIT were looking on the same plans for the pedestal you speak of, they each make their own and there are several differences between them.

Space often dictactes what we have to put in the pedestal. Given a choice, I agree that I'd rather rack up equipment and let the pedestal just support the projector.

I like the Eprad M9000L a lot though it isn't perfect (what is?). It also has a tilting top and plenty of room for just about evertything. It too uses caged nuts and that is not my favorite part either. I don't see why that sort of rail is used at all in this industry. You may have one piece (the server) that would use that sort of rail, the rest all need caged nuts.

Christie also is into this sort of rail system. The length of the pedestal makes it difficult to use with slide rails. Their current pedestal does a much better job with respect to adjusting height (the original one was too tall). With the CP4230/CP2230, the pedestal is mostly consumed by the power supply.

MIT has several pedestals starting with the S1 (the one that looks like the Barco and holds just about every projector but there are 4 or 5 other varients (none of the other have a tilting top, unfortunately). They have one pedestal that is just about as good as the Eprad except no tilting top and I'm not wild about the MIT foot clamps for it (I think it is the S4).

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-01-2016 10:43 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Caged nut rails are way cheaper for the manufacturer to produce. No holes to tap and taps to break. They are merely an IT Department carry over.

quote: Gordon McLeod
They are part of Sonic
That alone is creepy enough for me to never use them. Bring back Betty!

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 10-01-2016 08:57 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm projecting digital from the 35mm #1 view port between the two film projectors (which remain in place). I don't know if there is a store-bought solution for that but any base designed for film projector port height would need to be raised on a platform or have something atop it to raise the projector. So I built my own from wood which directly gets me to the correct height. The DSS200 server is too deep for my racks so it just sits on the middle shelf with UPS at the bottom.

-

Steve Guttag

- posted 10-01-2016 09:47 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MIT has a riser base for their S1 pedestal that puts the projector at view port height (5-feet AFF). MIT will also make riser extensions to get your desired lens height.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: