Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » HELP. color space ? for Dolby DSS200 w/ NEC1200c and realD

Author Topic: HELP. color space ? for Dolby DSS200 w/ NEC1200c and realD
Drew King
Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2011 01:56 PM      Profile for Drew King   Email Drew King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm operating a Dolby DSS200 with a Real D system.

Within DCC Our TCGD for the DCP macro is DC28_DCI_xenon and the picture looks correct, this is confusing because what I understand DCI content should be XYZ.

I have played about a dozen different DCPs encoded from different vendors and they all look correct using the xenon TCGD. When using the XYZ TCGD the picture is completely out of range looking very pink.

Something is fishy...

I see that the realD Control Module that is mounted in the rack has an LED display that says REC 601 full range which would be wrong since that is YCxCz, but there are no SDI cables routed in our out of the realD so I assume the color space is not being affected here. I also switched the Equalization and Video Settings switch to disable this (the only switch on the front of the Control Module) rebooted and it made no difference.

I need help [Smile]

thanks in advance because I know you folks are going to be able to help me in some sort of way.

[Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-24-2011 02:39 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are close but not quite on the dci_xenon (which is normally only used on testing, setup or Dolby 3D). What you really want is DCI(P3) for the Target Color. And the color space should be set to Scaled_240M_0_1023. Note, these settings only apply when using the Dolby brand servers.

-Steve

Drew King
Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2011 03:21 PM      Profile for Drew King   Email Drew King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FASCINATING! i will respond again once I can test. Thank you!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-25-2011 09:25 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, This is but another aspect (of many) of D-Cinema that really needs to be standardized! There are several different color spaces being used for 3-Deee.

Mark

Danial Simmonds
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2011 11:42 AM      Profile for Danial Simmonds   Author's Homepage   Email Danial Simmonds   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So many to remember, Dolby 3D or RealD or Xpand or Etoniq or Masterimage used with Dolby or Doremi or GDC or Cube = this and that color space and target color

I whished the manufacturer or somebody comes out with a chart showing the meaning to everything and what setting is for what.

Drew King
Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2011 11:36 AM      Profile for Drew King   Email Drew King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I changed the csc setting within the pcf of the dcc software to scaled_240m_0_1023 and the picture looks correct. I don't have any equipment to do any measurements so I cant give any specific feedback.

Is there any documentation that supports these statements of xenon being for testing and the 240m being for dolby servers?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-30-2011 02:49 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey...I'm all the documentation you need! [Wink]

Real-D does indeed have a document that calls out what settings or PCFs they are looking for on the various players.

If you have the TI DLP program and suitable passwords...etc, you can see what changes when each file loads to see what each are doing.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: