Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » CineAsset DCP creator software question (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: CineAsset DCP creator software question
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-19-2011 10:52 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm using version 5.0.1 and am having some issues converting from MPEG2 to JPEG2000.

I can get the JP2K to work just fine with the projector in 3D mode but in 2D mode the colour space is all wrong like there's a confliction between the player and the projector.

Anyone else using this who can shed some light on why this is happening?

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-21-2011 03:21 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No one? [Eek!]

Marcial Feliciano Ramos
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2011 07:51 PM      Profile for Marcial Feliciano Ramos   Email Marcial Feliciano Ramos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When preparing the files for 2D you are selecting the "Convert to XYZ" option?

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-21-2011 07:55 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Marcial

Thanks for responding. Yes, I am. Are you using this software also? Have you had any issues converting an MPEG2 to a JP2K?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-21-2011 08:17 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I downloaded the trial version of this just to mess with, and also add to my arsenal of software that I don't have time to learn to use.

I'd like to just create a brief clip that shows our own gift cards, and also a "Welcome to the Roxy" one that I could play at the beginning of the movie. Obviously, quite a learning curve here. But it'll be fun to try to figure it out.

Marcial Feliciano Ramos
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2011 08:20 PM      Profile for Marcial Feliciano Ramos   Email Marcial Feliciano Ramos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was working with a mpeg file that was trying to convert it (2D and 3D) and always had troubles with colors. I did a lot of test and finally I found in common that Im using the Convert to XYZ option and that my source file is 24fps or 23.97fps and use the option Convert 23.97 frames to 24 frames. It works

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-21-2011 08:22 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That may be it. Stay tuned.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-21-2011 10:34 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was it.

It now works on my two DSS-200's but unfortunately comes up as 'unsupported clip' on the DSP-100.

Any ideas?

Thanks for that Marcial! It must be the only thing I didn't try! [Eek!]

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2011 02:51 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those not willing to spend a fortune on the CineAsset software, I strongly recommend OpenDCP. It's free and works like a charm.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-22-2011 05:41 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is your DSS100/DSP100 on the same system software version as your DSS200s? If not, upgrade the DSS100/DSP100 to at least 4.2.1 (3)...last I heard, there is NO CHARGE for that upgrade.

-Steve

Kris Verhanneman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2011 06:27 AM      Profile for Kris Verhanneman   Email Kris Verhanneman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If your dsp100 don't play the clip it is in 25 frames/sec.

Brian Guckian
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2011 08:24 AM      Profile for Brian Guckian   Email Brian Guckian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it possible to have the files you're working with John supplied not as MPEG2, but as say, a 12-bit TIFF sequence?

Marcial Feliciano Ramos
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2011 10:26 PM      Profile for Marcial Feliciano Ramos   Email Marcial Feliciano Ramos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try Steve suggestion of upgrading if you haven't. All our Dolby server are upgraded and the clips run well.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-23-2011 12:52 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the tips guys. I'm working on them. I'll let you know how it works out.

Brian Guckian
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2011 07:09 AM      Profile for Brian Guckian   Email Brian Guckian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apologies but I'm puzzled by this; aren't DCPs mostly JPEG2000-based today, and having studied the CineAsset User Manual I couldn't find any reference to converting MPEG2 files to JPEG2000? Aren't these two distinct compression schemas?

Isn't the MXF wrapper going to be either MPEG2-based, in which case there might possibly be compatibility issues with current hardware combinations, or JPEG2000-based in which case there should be no problem?

Also, having read the literature, it is frequently explained that it should not be necessary to perform XYZ colour space conversion on MPEG2 material.

It seems like the most robust workflow for DCP creation currently is to start with a 12-bit TIFF sequence, perform XYZ colour space conversion, then encode to JPEG2000 (audio and encryption aspects aside).

Any comments would be appreciated as they might help others as well.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: