Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » WB Announces Looney Tunes Shorts in 3D

Author Topic: WB Announces Looney Tunes Shorts in 3D
Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 06-09-2011 01:18 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
THE LOONEY TUNES — AND THE LEGENDARY MEL BLANC — RETURN TO THE SILVER SCREEN, STARTING IN 2011

Warner Bros. Animation Announces Three New 3D Theatrical Cartoon Shorts

Two of the Original Films Feature Voice Recordings Made by Mel Blanc

ANNECY, France and BURBANK, Calif. (8 June 2011) — “Thufferin thuccotash!” Sylvester the Cat, Tweety Bird, Daffy Duck, Elmer Fudd, Wile E. Coyote and the Road Runner will all return to theaters in three original Looney Tunes 3D theatrical cartoon shorts produced by Warner Bros. Animation and directed by Matthew O’Callaghan (Coyote Falls). Two of the new shorts — Daffy’s Rhapsody and I Tawt I Taw a Puddy Tat — will feature the voice of the late, great Mel Blanc. The legendary actor/comedian known as The Man of a Thousand Voices brought to life some of the most revered characters in animation history during a celebrated career spanning six decades. Blanc will appear in the shorts — which are created using state-of-the-art CG animation and rendered in stereoscopic 3D — via original songs he recorded in character in the 1950s.

The announcement was made today by Peter Roth, President, Warner Bros. Television, who oversees television animation for the Studio, and Sam Register, Executive Vice President, Creative Affairs, Warner Bros. Animation (WBA). Register unveiled news of the three original shorts — which also include an as-yet-untitled adventure featuring the Coyote and Road Runner — during a presentation at the Annecy International Animated Film Festival.

“Everyone at Warner Bros. Animation grew up loving the Looney Tunes characters, and it has been both a great honor and an enormous challenge to continue the legacy of these animation icons and introduce them to a new generation of fans,” said Register. “And to have the incomparable Mel Blanc voicing these characters once more is nothing short of a dream come true for all of us.”

Register added, “This will probably be the last time that Looney Tunes fans will have an opportunity to see an original Mel Blanc short featuring these characters. We are honored to bring Mr. Blanc and his legacy to Looney Tunes fans once again.”

* Daffy’s Rhapsody: In the first of the new shorts, a persistent Elmer Fudd chases Daffy Duck (Blanc) on stage during a musical performance. The short features Blanc performing the song “Daffy Duck’s Rhapsody.” Daffy’s Rhapsody is scheduled to debut in theaters on November 18, 2011, in conjunction with Warner Bros. Pictures’ release of Happy Feet 2.

* I Tawt I Taw a Puddy Tat: A classic game of cat and bird transpires in Granny’s apartment as Tweety Bird goes to great lengths to avoid the clutches of his arch-nemesis Sylvester the Cat. The short also features the hit song of the same name, which was performed by Blanc, and sold over three million copies worldwide.

* Untitled Coyote & Road Runner: Wile E. Coyote’s epic quest to capture the Road Runner continues in this all-new short. Will the Coyote finally get his paws on his elusive prize?

* The three new shorts are all directed by Matthew O’Callaghan and executive produced by WBA’s Sam Register (The Looney Tunes Show, Teen Titans, Ben 10). The producers are Spike Brandt (The Looney Tunes Show, Duck Dodgers) and Tony Cervone (The Looney Tunes Show, Duck Dodgers).

The new theatrical shorts follow closely after the launch of The Looney Tunes Show, an all-new modern comedy series from Warner Bros. Animation which debuted in May and airs Tuesdays at 8/7c on Cartoon Network. The animated sitcom finds Bugs and Daffy living together as unlikely roommates: Bugs is as brazen, sarcastic and ahead-of-the-game as ever, while Daffy — despite his narcissistic, sociopathic and paranoid tendencies — is Bugs’ best friend and seemingly permanent houseguest.

In 2010, Warner Bros. Animation unveiled its first three CG cartoon shorts, all of which featured Wile E. Coyote and Road Runner. The first, Coyote Falls, was shortlisted for the Academy Award® for Best Short Film (Animated) and was nominated for an Annie Award for Best Animated Short Subject.

The original article, with images, can be seen here.

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2011 01:22 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They ran a CGI Roadrunner before Born to be Wild in IMAX, and I must say, it was pretty cool. Despite being 3D, the image looked very bright, probably thanks to 15/70.

AJG

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 06-09-2011 01:25 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The IMAX here in Indy is showing "Born to be Wild" -- I might've gone to see it, too -- but they let dirt and hair get all over their "Hubble" print. [Frown]

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 06-09-2011 01:57 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Aaron Garman
Despite being 3D, the image looked very bright, probably thanks to 15/70.
Aaron, IMAX dual digital 3D projection is the brightest 3D I have ever seen -- as good as a well lit, normal 2D image. Getting a bright 3D image is not an issue with IMAX dual digital. I have seen 15/70 3D and it was not able to match IMAX 3D in brightness.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-09-2011 02:06 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well if the new cartoons are all politically correct (i.e. no TNT, explosions or boulders falling) like the recent Road Runner shorts were, they're not going to be any good anyway. 3D isn't going to help that.

Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2011 09:49 PM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There has been at least one, if not two Roadrunner shorts on the Tech 3d film prints and I thought they looked pretty darn good. Good 3d and nice bright colors.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-09-2011 10:39 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, they LOOK good but that doesn't help that the stories are lame due to the political correctness, not to mention the frantic pacing. Watch any of the newer ones (they're all on YouTube) and then watch something like "Zoom and Bored" and you'll see what I mean.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-16-2011 03:40 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want 'South Park' in 3D...

- Carsten

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2011 05:55 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had not thought about the PC angle with these cartoons.

I won't watch them if they are cut.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: