Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » 3-Dee Blue Ray Disks

Author Topic: 3-Dee Blue Ray Disks
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-06-2011 04:47 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone tried or is it possible to project the Blue Ray 3-Dee disks in 3-Dee using a Digital Cinema projector? I have been overly unimpressed with home 3-Dee so have not bothered to look into how these even work... Thanks in advance to any one that can shed any light on this...

Mark

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-06-2011 05:44 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been more impressed with home 3D than theatrical 3D because it's a shit-ton brighter.

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2011 05:49 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Runco is one manufacturer to have a high end dlp 3 dee projector.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 06-07-2011 11:43 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok this is how I understand this. The 3-D blu-ray player has to recognize what it is sending the 3-D content to. It's destination must be 3-D capable using the HDMI cable connection. If the digital projector being used has the 1.4 chips it will know that it can pass through the 3-D content, otherwise the player will refuse to play it.

With my 3-D TV I use the PS3. When I first set it up the PS3 refused to recognize the TV. Turns out that my 7.1 stereo I had at the time was only 1.3 compliant. Once I updated the system to a 1.4 compliant unit it would pass the HDMI signal through to the TV and the PS3 would then recognize the TV as being 3-D capable and allow the Left and Right eye signals to pass through. The only downfall of using the new PS3 to play 3-D content is that it will not allow the DTS HD Master Audio to pass through uncompressed sound. It forces it into DTS core mode because it requires that the Left/Right eye information be sent in the same area as the uncompressed audio information would have been. That's so it can send the full 1080p for both left and right eyes to the TV. My TV also requires the use of Synced shutter glasses. Not sure how that would exactly work in the cinema application.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 06-09-2011 08:20 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I understand that there are breakout boxes that can split the right and left video signals so you can use two HD video projectors to project dual images and with polarization and a silver screen, you can then use passive polaroid glasses just like the theatres. The advantage of this is, 1) dual projectors give you double light output, so you get nice bright bright images 2) both images are presented to the eyes at the exact same time and stay on the screen together, so there is no temporal anomoly like you get with alternating ON/OFF shutter glasses and which some people evidently find really, REALLY annoying and 3) the classes are cheap cheap. Or free if you use the RealD 3D glasses that you don't throw into the bin like they tell you to do at the multiplex but that you take home with you for your Home 3D Theatre instead!

Robert John Jeromson
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2011 06:30 PM      Profile for Robert John Jeromson   Email Robert John Jeromson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could always buy one of these: -

http://www.doremilabs.com/dimension3d.html

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-11-2011 07:04 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Robert! I believe that is exactly what we need...

Anders Nordentoft-Madsen
Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2011 08:09 AM      Profile for Anders Nordentoft-Madsen   Author's Homepage   Email Anders Nordentoft-Madsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You will still have a problem with HDCP. The Doremi box does not support HDCP. So you will need some way of stripping HDCP from the video signal.

We have looked into this, and is going to try this setup: PC with blu-ray hard- and software (powerdvd ect.), AnyDVDHD (for removing HDCP), HDMI to the Dimension 3D box, and then HDSDI to the Projector. We are going to test this setup soon, ill get back to you with the results when we do.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-13-2011 08:43 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm wondering wether ANY current DCI projector is able to create 3D formats and sync from DVI/HDMI inputs.

So far it seems unnecessary expensive to adopt 3D BluRay to DCI projectors. The DCI framesequential 3D format is not used in the consumer HDMI 1.4 area. Would be easier if e.g. Oppo would choose to implement a real frame-sequential 48fps mode in their players. Then you could get away with an HD-SDI-Converter.

Stereoscopic player is able to play back MVC/SSIF files under windows for all known sorts of 3D setups and devices, but that means you would have to rip them off BDs beforehand, which has some known implications.

So far, I would step back from the idea. There are pro-devices like the Doremi and others being used for 3D-broadcasts. But they usually offer the HD-SDI outputs directly, and they usually do not have to deal with HDCP signaling. Yet they cost ten to twenty times as much as the 3D BluRay player itself.

Best thing would be a firmware upgrade for the projectors that would allow dewrapping of common HDMI 1.4 formats and stereo sync.

- Carsten

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-13-2011 05:00 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Carsten. Good point... Although the projector is HDCP compliant the processor is not. I talked with Doremi and the Blue-Ray HDCP encription codes... probably set by the studios and Sony do not allow HDMI to HDSDI conversion ala HDCP. They did say they are going to probably do HDMI to HDMI conversion with HDCP in a future software upgrade so adding an HDSDI converter would probably get things to where they need to be. Let me know how your experiment goes...

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: