Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » It really does some good to talk to factory reps at conventions

Author Topic: It really does some good to talk to factory reps at conventions
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-19-2011 01:53 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another independent owner and I (Tony Beaverson from Cody, WY) spent about a half hour at the CinemaCon trade show talking with a rep from Dolby about various things. One thing we discussed was how it's been virtually impossible for us to get Dolby "rolling stock" on DCPs, specifically a Dolby "Put on your 3-D glasses" clip or a Dolby sound clip, etc. He seemed quite surprised to hear about the easy availability of other 3D formats' promotional stuff on Trail Mix and other trailer services.

Well lo and behold, this week's Trail Mix showed up today and it came with four Dolby clips -- "Countdown" in regular and 3-D versions, "Sphere" (7.1 sound clip) in regular and 3-D, a Dolby put-on-glasses card and a Dolby return-your-glasses card.

Now I have no idea how many other guys talked to this Dolby rep about this, or if our discussion had anything at all to do with their stuff winding up on the Trail Mix. Who knows, it might have been in the works months before CinemaCon. But, I like to think Tony and I might have helped a little.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-19-2011 03:32 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure you probably did. Most companies assume there are no issues unless they are informed of them.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-19-2011 09:31 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
They provide discs of those clips when you buy a Dolby 3D system or Dolby server. It is in the box along with other promotional materials.

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2011 09:31 AM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I work in the welding industry now, but our trade show is very valuable for customer feedback. Many times there are just little issues that the customer may not have thought important enough to call, or they may not have known who or where to call. When they visit our booth to check out new equipment or just happen to be passing by, they usually mention these little issues which help us to better improve our equipment. Sometimes the little problems may end up being bigger problems later and this helps to head them off.

It also helps to grow a relationship with your customers and spend some time with them. You would be amazed at how much you hear about the industry or just their experiences with your company while shooting the breeze over a dinner. The information can be worth a hundred times what the dinner costs, especially if it leads to future sales.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-19-2011 01:33 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
They provide discs of those clips when you buy a Dolby 3D system or Dolby server.
Indeed they do but it will not load into anyone elses server. Dolby uses a non standard package format. Won't load into GDC, Doremi, Qube, etc, etc.

Mark

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-19-2011 04:44 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yes you are correct, I forgot about that nonsense. We had to convert them for our non-Dolby servers. It has been so long I forgot.

I'll add the 3D logo to the warehouse.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-19-2011 05:47 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Brad!

Jo Mostert
Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2011 06:49 PM      Profile for Jo Mostert   Email Jo Mostert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure discussions like this really help speeding something up. At least, I have the feeling too 'people around' do take us serious. Most of these conversations are win-win in the end.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: