Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Silver Screen Products

Author Topic: Silver Screen Products
Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2011 05:31 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody ever dealt with these guys?
I've been called twice and been rambled to by whomever is on the other end about some new lamp they're hoping to have in production in July for Sony projectors. Supposedly the life of the lamp will be extraordinary vs all other lamps we're using.

The e-mail I received in lieu of listening to him ramble a second time was poorly written as is most of their website which doesn't instill a lot of confidence.

Any experience with them?

|  IP: Logged

Kyle Butler
Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2011 06:13 PM      Profile for Kyle Butler   Email Kyle Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've ordered several pre-show lamps from them and haven't had any issues thus far. I always receive an email with shipping notification minutes later, and i can usually expect the lamps to arrive 2-3 days later.

The life of their lamps are questionable though. our alternative content projectors are on the fritz and won't record hour information, so we've been relying on good estimates. I'd say the SSP lamps last HALF as long as a new lamp from Christie.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 05-20-2011 11:19 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Their website contains exactly zero information.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 05-20-2011 09:44 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they are so gug-ho about their product and what they are claiming puts them head and shoulders above everyone else, ask the salesman if the company is really convinced they have a better product and if they do, will they back up their claims. Ask if they will refund your money for every hour less than the rated hours. If they are not willing to do that, then tell him not to call again.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-21-2011 11:54 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the sad about rebuilt lamps modules from any of these lamp rebuilders is that: don't expect the same life expectancy as with any new lamp modules from the factory.

If new ones claim 2k hours on economy, then expect 1k hours with relamped modules...basically why they are cheaper.

..and I've also seen them die a lot sooner than expected.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2011 11:51 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, guys.

These guys aren't after our pre-show lamp business though...They want to sell us 4200 watt lamps for our Sony 4K's.
I'm relatively certain that if it's not on the Sony approved list it voids the warranty though...Think that'll be my first question.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-05-2011 11:52 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Look at them, then run away - stay with reliable manufacturers, esp the ones that are on the list that SONY recommends - simply due to warranty issues.

You don't want your company to get stuck with $20k worth of damage when one of those un-recommended bulbs lets go in that SONY unit..

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: