Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Article on small town Digital conversion (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Article on small town Digital conversion
Steven J Hart
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2011 08:25 AM      Profile for Steven J Hart   Author's Homepage   Email Steven J Hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Article from Grand Forks Herald

RYAN BAKKEN: Rocky future for the Roxy?

Sometimes, progress stinks.

That’s the case in Langdon, N.D., which is threatened by the loss of its movie theater unless community members rally.

Again.

The first rally was necessary in 1995, when the Roxy Theater closed after almost 60 years. But the Northern Lights Art Council organized a community fundraising campaign that secured $68,000 for new projection equipment, new seats, a new roof and other improvements. The Roxy reopened after a three-year hiatus.

Now, it’s on life support again. Box office receipts and popcorn sales aren’t to blame. Other than one year, the Roxy has turned a modest profit despite bargain ticket prices of $6 for adults and $4 for children. The four-figure annual profits always go toward improvements.

The blame instead goes to progress. Starting in 2013, studios will stop supplying movies on 35 millimeter film. So, the Roxy will need to buy a projection system for that newfangled digital.

The cost is $70,000.

“Basically, we either switch to digital or close some time in the next two years because we won’t be able to get product,” said Steve Hart, the theater manager since the 1998 reopening.

The nonprofit NLAC again is taking the town’s temperature for donations to salvage the operation, which offers movies four nights a week.

If residents respond again, quality of life and nostalgia will be their motivators. For quite a while, smaller communities have used public money to subsidize cafes and grocery stores that provide convenience. Recently, similar help has been given to maintain entertainment options for young and old in shrinking burgs with fewer things to do.

The Roxy, with its old-school marquee and quaint inside, also provides memories. “We have great-grandparents who remember going to the movies there as kids,” Hart said.

Small town movie theaters certainly have their charm, especially those kept alive by grassroots efforts. The Roxy, Cando’s Audi, Park River’s Lyric and the Rockford in New Rockford were part of feel-good features in 2010 produced by the New York Times and NBC Nightly News. The theme of both stories was about small towns preserving their way of life.

The problem is a shrinking customer base. Recent census numbers show Cavalier County lost 17.3 percent of its population from 10 years ago, falling below 4,000 people. About half live in Langdon. Given that trend, what’s the future of small-town theaters?

Langdon likely will soon provide one answer.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-10-2011 12:07 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A. It doesn't cost 65,000 dollars to buy a system.

B. you may have longer than the end of 2013. 2013 was not given as a definate date. Just a forecast based on the present rate of conversion to digital.

C. Isn't N.D. a state that is pretty well off? Seems to me you have one of the lowest unemployment rates in the US. Now is the time to apply for grants, etc. so you don't have to buy a system out of pocket.

Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-10-2011 01:25 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know i don't think it is as much of an issue as you think i know of several theatres that have decomissioned and sold there d cinema and gone back to film because of booking restrictions and operating cost

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-10-2011 02:00 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John Fithian has repeated given "end 2012" as the end of film by 3 studios. He lies. Louis

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-10-2011 02:30 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's not quite true...I saw him at the CinemaCon. Both in his "state of the industry" speech and at the CBG meeting he did say the end of film COULD come by the end of 2013 "according to our best guess" but he never said it was anything definite about that date. He never said anything about 3 studios as far as I remember.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-10-2011 02:53 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
It doesn't cost 65,000 dollars to buy a system.
Not for a small screen that can use a baby projector...and if you don't care what the brand and/or reliability is...and if you don't care what the actual operating costs are, of course not.

There is FAR MORE to this equation than the mere "purchase price". Digital cinema is not a matter of how much the price is, but how much it will cost you. Today's decision can easily turn into tomorrow's nightmare.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-10-2011 08:25 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
His present 2013 date was based merely on the present rate of conversion. Folks, like it or not it is progrressing far faster then most of you might care to know. And it is progressing faster in Europe than it is here in the States...

As for reliability of the presently available equipment... from what I've seen in the last year the reliability level IS THE SAME between all three manufacturers. Problem level on new gear is basically so close to zero as to not even matter. If you live in dirty-dusty-greasy environment then a projector whose entire air intake is filtered is very important.

@Gord... Re:Booking.... There have already been locations here turned down for 35mm film prints because there was a shortage of them. Kings Speech is a prime example, some Warners and some Disney stuff as well. I know for all my customers that have digital installed booking films has been much, much easier. May not be true of the Artsy Fartsy film world yet but they are not lagging far behind either because DCP's are far less expensive to produce.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-10-2011 09:19 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got a copy here of Fithian's exact remarks from the convention, as follows:

"...based on our assessment of the roll-out schedule and our conversations with our distribution partners, I believe that film prints could be unavailable as early as the end of 2013. Simply put, if you don't make the decision to get on the digital train soon, you will be making the decision to get out of the business."

(Me again) Re: Booking: I can tell you for sure that we've had less trouble getting movies since our conversion. There have been several off-break films where there were no 35MM available but there were digital prints; and we've had at least one instance so far where we got a 3-D print on the break but our neighboring theatre could not get a 35MM booked on the break.

One thing to consider (which I never even dreamed would be a problem), is that even with digital there is still a "set" number of digital prints. Stupid as that is, that's the way it is. Once that number of prints is reached by whatever means, that's it -- you can't get a print, same as with film.

Another thing is the studios don't make any allowance for the higher 3D ticket prices when insisting that you keep a print over. For example, "Rio" would have normally been a 2-week booking for us, but the 3D prices pushed our second-week gross high enough that Fox wanted us to keep it another week. That third week was pretty soft (although we played the movie in 2-D that week and advertised it as such, so we picked up a few non-3-D fans that we would have missed otherwise).

I'm hoping that the studios will eventually wake up to the fact that we and they could make more money if they would address these issues. We'd love to play a movie on the break every week, thereby increasing our grosses and our film rental paid, but we can't play everything for 2 or 3 or 4 weeks.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 05-10-2011 09:29 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
I believe that film prints could be unavailable as early as the end of 2013
Seems to me he is saying not that film will be dead at the end of 2013, but that there will some movies that will not be released on film. At least in the art film biz, there are always prints unavailable.

I'm not familiar enough with his other statements to know what he really means to say.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-10-2011 10:58 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
from what I've seen in the last year the reliability level IS THE SAME between all three manufacturers.
Everything new works well, but you and I both know there are some designs out there that are doomed to have earlier failures than their competitors.

As far as dirty environments, Barco pretty much has everyone beat there.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 05-11-2011 02:54 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Martin McCaffery
Seems to me he is saying not that film will be dead at the end of 2013, but that there will some movies that will not be released on film. At least in the art film biz, there are always prints unavailable.
I think you are right. And the most important thing is that, if stuidos make only a few 35mm prints, then major players will get those prints over a small player like the Roxy. I know of one guy who can't get certain independent film prints in a certain market because Cineplex has so much market share that they will get their hands on them first and then hang on to them for a very long time.

quote: Mike Blakesley
I'm hoping that the studios will eventually wake up to the fact that we and they could make more money if they would address these issues. We'd love to play a movie on the break every week, thereby increasing our grosses and our film rental paid, but we can't play everything for 2 or 3 or 4 weeks.
Hey Mike. I am looking at your cinema, is your theatre always second run? Or do you play first runs films some of the time?

BTW-nice theatre.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-11-2011 08:11 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Brad it is NEC that has the other two beat as per the filtering. They filter all incomming air with Hepa filters. Hepa filters do a much beter job than the metal screen filters BARCO uses...

Mark

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2011 09:17 AM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike is spot an as usual. The only reason we will be converting in the next 1-2 years is due to the availability of prints, and maybe a little bit for the 3D aspect.

This past year we have been turned down for several films we would have never been turned down for in the past, and its only going to get worse.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-11-2011 11:02 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom - thanks for the compliment. We play around 8 to 12 movies on the break each year -- the rest, usually 3 to 5 weeks after break.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 05-11-2011 11:14 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tom Petrov
I know of one guy who can't get certain independent film prints in a certain market because Cineplex has so much market share that they will get their hands on them first and then hang on to them for a very long time.
This has always been a problem in the Art/Indie biz, it has nothing to do with digital. Even if we will do better with a certain art title, the distribs would rather show it in the multi-plex first. Every art theatre in the US faces this problem. Unless the art biz is going to start treating their product like major releases (not likely) with thousands of screens playing the film, it will still be a problem if digital takes over.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: