Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Which TMS are you using?

Author Topic: Which TMS are you using?
Olivier Lemaire
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2011 07:34 PM      Profile for Olivier Lemaire   Author's Homepage   Email Olivier Lemaire   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

I was wondering about which TMS are you using at work - if you do use one of course?

tia for any answer [Smile]

Cheers,
--
lem

|  IP: Logged

Elijah Althoff
Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2011 09:33 PM      Profile for Elijah Althoff   Email Elijah Althoff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In CA here, and we've got all 16 of our screens running Dolby's TMS. It's ridiculously easy to use, and with our network setup allows us to access everything remotely.

I've heard Doremi is supposed to be pretty good also, but I've never had the chance to use it.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-07-2011 09:13 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have a rough idea what the software/license cost for these TMS are? I guess it also factors in the number of screens being managed?

- Carsten

Olivier Lemaire
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2011 02:17 PM      Profile for Olivier Lemaire   Author's Homepage   Email Olivier Lemaire   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Europe:
=> License costs seems to turn around 500 to 1500 € / screen- public price (depending of the product, the volume of screens, the customer, the wind direction...).
=> (Software) Maintenance costs seems to turn around 100 to 350 €/screen/year (after year 1 most of the time). Most of the time obscure because "embedded" in maintenance and support contact ("tying", dit I said this world?).

All that can of course drop low if big group deal. YYMMV [Wink]

Jo Mostert
Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2011 07:06 AM      Profile for Jo Mostert   Email Jo Mostert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
11 screens - barco projectors (DP2k-15c up to DP2k-32b)
Software from XDC (Solo G3 and CineStore PLAZA).

I still regret their choice to operate on some modied windows-shit. Makes it less stable, and demands regular reboots.
Easy to use, quite user-friendly, still lacks some features which should be released in the near future.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2011 07:54 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jo, how would you compare XDC's software with Doremi apps? I tend to think that Cinelister is no-nonsense and rather easy to use.

Olivier: recently, I've seen a lot of ADDE's DigiCAB suite in use.

Olivier Lemaire
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2011 04:13 PM      Profile for Olivier Lemaire   Author's Homepage   Email Olivier Lemaire   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean-Marc : yes, indeed, Europalace is - afaik - ADDE integrated, and so iCab equipped.

This is one of the point with TMS - they are pure software. But somes are :
* "vendor specific" (example: Doremi TMS will work only with Doremi players, Dolby TMS will work only with Dolby players, GDC TMS ...)
* "integrator specific" (iCab will only be sold and maintained by ADDE)
* interoperables : Unique, Dvidea, Cinedigm (afaik), AAM, ...

The vendor specific will stuck you with a manufacturer - but after all, you won't change your manufacturer for some times (at least the time to compensate the invest), so, wft. Anyway, you're not stuck with integartors as most of them (if not all) are to sell and support them.

Interoperable TMS allow you to split your fleet, regarding vendors and integrator : you just don't care, TMS is just "yet another useful piece of software" - so it's up to you to choose the best fitted to your need.

The integrator specific will stuck you to a given integrator. But afterall, peoples were used to that way of life - even if in this digital age, things are quickly changing...

Regarding vendor specific, I must admit that I just don't understand why manufacturers don't embed them directly with their products (like Dobly does)... You cannot call tied sale, as you're perfectly free to use whatever other software if needed (and willing to pay for more of course) - and it would probably ease the life of most theaters.

my 2 cents [Smile]

Jo Mostert
Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2011 06:30 PM      Profile for Jo Mostert   Email Jo Mostert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@ Jean-Marc:
For me, it's hard to compare. I use XDC's on a daily base, but I didn't ever operate DoReMi.

Pro: ease of use. It's really easy. Almost like operating an iPod or something like that.
Quite flexible in working with all kinds of automation.

Contra: I miss the possibility (should be in the next release) to copy/ingest a complete show (or part of a show: f.i. commercials/commercials+trailers) from library to server, of from server to server.
In se, it's on a windows system, which results in some random unstable behaviour.

Handling XDC's software (Solo G3 and CineStore Plaza) requires a lot of clicking, drag&drop, where I personally prefer tab&type.

All together, I can work with it, pretty well. But the complete software package is not completely adult. There's still room for progression. In the long run, I hope there's more integration between this part of the hard- and software in our cinema, and the software used at the kassa's and for selling the tickets. I hate it when I have to tell five different computersystems that we start playing X-Men tomorrow :-)

I can't compare the price. I don't know what we paid XDC.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2011 03:11 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Olivier : yes, I've been visiting a few Europalace booths lately, hence my remark. Thank you for the explanation. I'll have a look at the interoperable softwares.

Jo: thanks, I've heard that these servers were quite reliable.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: