Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Looking for Sony service manual for SRX-R220

Author Topic: Looking for Sony service manual for SRX-R220
Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2011 10:01 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have attempted to go through the proper channels to obtain an electronic copy of the Sony SRX-R220 service manual; however, the information appears to be cloaked in secrecy. Does anyone by chance know of a resource I might tap?
Thanks in advance... [Big Grin]

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-09-2011 11:31 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Eric Robinson
the information appears to be cloaked in secrecy
Sort of. If you get Sony training then you get in on all the secrets. Personally, don't waste your time. Sony will soon vanish from the Cinemas like SDDS did. You could even help that to happen by pushing that projector down the booth stairs, really! Sony has 6500 projectors installed as of Cinemacon. DLP has like 35,000 installed projectors of which 20 some thousand are 3-Dee as of Cinemacon. Guess who's winning?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-10-2011 06:11 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why does anyone have to 'win' in a booming business like this?

Christie has sold far more DLP units than Barco or NEC. Does that mean Barco and NEC will vanish from the market?

DLP has to share it's profits between 3/4 manufacturers. Sony achieves all the profits within their own company.

@Eric: Google 'Projecteur-numerique-Sony-Cine-Alta-4K- SRX-R220.pdf'
It's an english installation manual for the R320. Maybe not all you are looking for, but at least a starting point.

- Carsten

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2011 11:36 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@Carsten: Thanks for the tip for the install manual. I do already have the install manual which speaks nothing to the filter changing process. It is peculiar that there isn't some short document from Sony discussing the procedure. I'm assuming it is all wrapped up in the service manual.

As far as the Sony training, we have been looking into it and it is certainly something I would like to do.

The training I am giving will be on Tuesday, so I was looking for more of an immediate solution. It may turn out that I will simply have to wing it without the material though.

Thanks for all the replies thus far [Wink]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-11-2011 10:45 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carsten... It wasn't inkling that any one DLP manufacturer would win nor do I care... but the facts show it is very evident that T.I. has more or less won the entire market. Sony's output is miniscule compared to DLP. Even if there were but one of those manufacturers producing DLP the facts would and figures would still be the same. I think it is pretty obvuious who won because there isn't the slightest chance of Sony racing past the competition because there is no one to sell them to.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 04-11-2011 10:49 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a bit of history with Sony abandoning products in the past too. SDDS comes to mind...

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-11-2011 02:50 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know a european SONY manager who claims that they never really gave up SDDS. He says he has one full-time employee working on SDDS alone. Well, obviously they stopped making processors.

Anyway - this 'who won' issues is pointless. WE WANT multiple manufacturers/sources for equipment. And one manufacturer is always selling less than the other.

Apple is the second highest valued company today. Yet they have only 5% or so of the PC market. Now obviously 'Microsoft' won. But what does that mean? Nothing.

Most car companies exist for over a hundred years. Was it ever a wrong decision to buy from a company that is not the largest manufacturer?

- Carsten

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2011 12:19 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eric, I can't give you my manual (don't worry, it doesn't cover the filters ... or anything else in great depth much either) but I'm Sony certified for maintenance and I would be willing to give you a hand. One Film-Techer to another since I'm right down the freeway.

P.S. Depending on which version of the R220 you have there are 2 or 3 filters. The older ones have 2 on the left side, the newer only one.
The filters are on the left side of the machine and then one in a goofy buckle-box behind the card cage on the upper right side.
To reset the hours login as  - (password is  - ).
If you find you're having issues getting replacement filters call Ben at American Cinema Equipment.

[ 04-13-2011, 01:41 AM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: