Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Need advice on 3D system to choose! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Need advice on 3D system to choose!
Fenando Caveira
Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2011 07:01 PM      Profile for Fenando Caveira   Email Fenando Caveira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello.

This is my first post.
I work in a movie theater in lisbon and we are about to upgrade ou digital projection and we need to think 3D.

Screen. White Matte 1.4
15meter wide by 6metrs high
Projection distance 31 meters

Iīm having problems choosing the 3D system.

As far has projectors go iīm thinking either Christie CP2230 or the Barco DP2K-32B.

Have a sailsman trying to fix me with barco DP2K-23B with the dolby 3D system, but i think this is noto good enough for the screen size.

in the other side i have another one who says i need a active 3D sistem with the Christie CP2230.

I suspect one is not enough and the other is to much.

Right now iīm using an old Barco DP-90 with a Doremi dcp 2000.
It works but so dark, you se why we need to upgrade.

Thank you

|  IP: Logged

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 04-11-2011 07:46 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both Christie and Barco models you mention will produce enough light for Dolby 3D if you use the largest bulb; 6,000 Watts if I recall.

Have the dealer do an estimate on maximum 2D light output. Hopefully, it comes out to 50 or more FL. Figure 10% efficiency for Dolby 3D to be on the safe side and you will have 5 FL which is a good starting # so you have room for the bulb to age, the screen to darken, etc,.

You could go to a 1.8 gain screen to improve the light to the audience.

The active glasses work well but the glasses are still quite expensive and battery powered.

The Dolby 3D system has the best quality IMHO, color-wise and the glasses are less expensive than ever before, now that the Cat. No. 832's are available.

Chase Pickett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2011 07:48 PM      Profile for Chase Pickett   Email Chase Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could an option be a CP2230 with RealD XL? We have this set up, and I'm quite happy with the results. In my opinion, the Christie CP2230 has no equal for light efficiency. Well others come very close, but in my experience the Christie is the best.

Fenando Caveira
Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2011 08:09 PM      Profile for Fenando Caveira   Email Fenando Caveira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The RealD Cinema System is the device of choice in cinema auditoriums under 45 ft in screen width."

The screen we have is 50ft. Could this be an issue?

Thanks again!

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2011 10:33 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That quote from RealD's website is specifically talking about their standard system that uses the Z-Screen. If you look at the tab for the XL Cinema System, you'll notice they say it can be used with screens up to 80 feet wide.

Kris Verhanneman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2011 02:48 AM      Profile for Kris Verhanneman   Email Kris Verhanneman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry but please forget RealD. When you sign with them it will cost you more in the end.

When you do want a passive system without dolby you can still go to master image (cheaper and no extra costs after you bought it).

But if you can, go with dolby.

I have a very pleasant memorie of the time we used that 3D system. As said before by others on this forum Dolby 3D is the best 3D on the market. You may just need to change your screen. The Barco will give more then enough light for your purpuse (ushio or osram 6500W bulb) but try to stay away from silver screens.

Another last remarque, activation or de activating the 3D option on the projector is just a matter of seconds (I do miss that now).

Take a look on this forum. There was a discussion over what were the actual costs of different 3D systems.

Fenando Caveira
Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2011 07:05 AM      Profile for Fenando Caveira   Email Fenando Caveira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with the dolby, at least this is wht the dealer is saying, is that i need 45000 lumens to use it.

He sent me this christie calculator with all the numbers to prove to me that the only system good for me was the XpanD.
I just donīt want to be robed, cause the XpanD is realy expencive!!

And the dolby is very good price and doesnīt need the silver screen! I just have to be shure it wil do the job with the projectors i had in mind!

By the way, the projection throw is 101ft!! donīt i loose a lot of light there??

I should tell you we are not a comercial venue. we do mostly premiers and film festivals with directors and producers often present, so we need a good system. But we are also state funded, and right now there is no money.

Dificult balance i know, so you see wy i need independet advice!

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 04-12-2011 10:13 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can go to 6500W with the 32B. The 1.2" DLP projectors seem to be more light efficient than the 0.9" ones and you get a lot of light out of a 32B!
I don't know what the Real-D licensing looks like in Europe, in N. America it's very popular but the glasses are free I think. The XL system is good for quite large screens, I don't think Master Image has a comparable product.
Dolby is excellent. No argument there. The glasses cost more than Real-D or master Image, you need a glasses washing system and staff to operate it plus some security to limit glasses loss.
XpanD is uses quite expensive glasses - you don't want ANY to walk away - and on top of the washing you have battery issues. My opinion of XpanD is that it's perfect for industry screening rooms where a silver or high gain screen is not desired (due to the degraded 2D image) and the clients are unlikely to steal the glasses... not so great for a commercial cinema.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 04-12-2011 11:45 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Dave above.

You need a second opinion on light calculations. I don't believe your dealer is taking your 1.4 gain screen into the equation. 1.8 would be better for Dolby.

Dolby offers many very attractive packages that include the glasses as part of the price. The latest glasses now sell at pretty low prices making it possible to get the price to good customers down to $13.00 or so.

Fenando Caveira
Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2011 01:36 PM      Profile for Fenando Caveira   Email Fenando Caveira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So iīm thinking cp2230 with the dolby 3D system.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 04-12-2011 02:07 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Barco model you mentioned is very good as well and there are many Barco projectors close by as is the factory.

The Barco may come out a little less expensive as the Dolby 3D kit can be ordered as part of the projector.

Both are very good and each has its set of advantages.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 04-12-2011 03:39 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Fenando Caveira
By the way, the projection throw is 101ft!! donīt i loose a lot of light there??

For all intents and purposes, no. Other than some slight loss in longer focal length lenses, the throw is irrelevant in terms of amount of light needed. It is the screen size that matters.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 04-12-2011 04:30 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On this occasion only size matters! Screen size.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-12-2011 04:31 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fenando: Try to find a Dolby 3D cinema in Portugal, Spain or France to judge yourself. It is true that Dolby is probably the best system as far as quality is concerned. But it will eat most of the light that your expensive 6kW bulb throws out. Your screen is not too large for it in general, I'd say though.

There is a cheaper and better alternative to XpanD - Volfoni. They have better glases, no licence cost - and you can even rent it for a start into 3D. If it works for you - keep the rental, or buy it. If it doesn't work, return it and make a new decision - you loose nothing.

Panavision makes another system similiar to Dolby 3D. It was said it is more light efficient than Dolby 3D. Some tests I read seem to suggest this is not the case, however. Their licensing is more or less the same as the other big players. Panavision is a big name, but they just started with their 3D system.

Anyway - there are more options than the three or four best known systems.

Look up Disneys list of approved 3D systems!

- Carsten

Fenando Caveira
Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2011 05:04 PM      Profile for Fenando Caveira   Email Fenando Caveira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
by the way, the room sits 827 people witch makes the active system a very expencive option...

this is the disney list:

REAL D
DOLBY
MASTER IMAGE
XpanD
NESTRI
Eyes3Shut
IMAX 3D
3Din
Panastereo
3DGE by VOLFONI
Etoniq
3D Tech
Sony SRX-R320S
Panavision Digital 3D System
DepthQ
Hi-Shock

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: