Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » How do you determine when it is time to change a digital projector filter?

Author Topic: How do you determine when it is time to change a digital projector filter?
Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2011 01:27 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know there are guidelines in the manuals of digital projection equipment which provide a filter changing period; however, after perusing the forums here it seems evident that different locations require different intervals for filter changes. So to have the most effective filter changing process it would seem that inspecting the filters would be the best indicator of the filter changing frequency. What I'm wondering though specifically is what criteria indicates that a filter is due for change? Is there some way to quantify it other than common sense?

|  IP: Logged

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 04-05-2011 01:29 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the Sony 320, the interval is set at 2500 hours. You'll get a yellow tail light indication when it is time to change the filters.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-05-2011 03:51 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the others use an "at every lamp change" as the criteria however the booth and how long the lamp/fans are operating greatly weigh into this.

I just changed out a lamp in an NEC at 1500 hours and the filters were definitely ready for a change. In fact, I've yet to see a machine with 1500 hours + of projection time where the filters didn't look bad enough to warrant cleaning/changing.

-Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-05-2011 04:58 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The lamphouse air filters on the NEC's are HEPA type filters and are supposed to be changed out with every lamp change, however that is NOT necessarily the case with all lamps. The electronics filters which are seperate are supposed to be checked at 2K hours and changed IF NEEDED. Of course the lamp house has far more volume of air moving through it than the electronics section does so the filters will clog much quicker. What I have found is that the filters will last the life of a longer life... say 1500 (warranty) hour digital lamp so if you are running a high output lamp that goes ~650 (warranty) hours you should get 2 lamp changes from a single pair of lamphouse filters. On the NEC there is a nice feature where if the lamphouse over heats due to insufficient air flow the lamp will simply shut off and you'll get an error on the side panel LCD display so you know... Strong is now selling the filters seperately as one will need more lamphouse filters than electronics filters. The fact that NEC filters the lamphouse air I feel is a big advantage as the lamphouse parts and rectifier will always stay clean as new... neither of the other manufacturers do it.

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2011 10:34 AM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the contributions. Good info so far, [thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: