Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » USHIO CDXL-30 wattage

Author Topic: USHIO CDXL-30 wattage
David Stone
Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2011 01:27 AM      Profile for David Stone   Email David Stone   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Eveyone,

Is it true the CDXL-30 xenon although rated 3000 watts, actually only gives 2500 watts. The service company I use downunder told me this today,

Cheers,

David

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-18-2011 01:34 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Your service company is wrong.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-18-2011 04:40 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
volts times amps equals 3000 watts. Louis

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 03-18-2011 06:34 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They may give the lumen output of a 2500W, but what you wrote doesn't make much sense. If you power your lamp with 3000W... that's it! "Watts" is not a way to measure brightness!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-18-2011 07:41 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The CDXL-30 gives MORE light than a traditional 3K lamp.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-18-2011 08:34 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it is unfortunate that the cinema industry chose to use Watts as some form of measure of brightness. Not all 3KW lamps output the same lumens...even if they did, how they interact with the reflector, lens and the rest of the optics will determine the efficiency of the system.

In the case of the CDXL-30...its "wattage" equivalent (in terms of brightness) is approximately 3800-watts...as compared to a standard CXL-30 as the 3000-watt reference.

The CDXL-30s rated voltage is 27 and its current is 110...which is 2970-watts (pretty close to 3000...don't you think). However, the CDXL-30, despite being a 3KW lamp...can go all of the way up to 120-amps. Now its voltage will go up too...though not at the same rate as the current...at 120A...it is consuming about 3300-watts.

So just where did your tech get his/her information from?

-Steve

David Stone
Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2011 03:25 AM      Profile for David Stone   Email David Stone   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brad, Steve & everyone,

Where they get their info I don't know, but they are the biggest digital company Downunder,

I will certainly pass on your comments to them,

Cheers,

David.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: