Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Please help 100% digital rookie (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Please help 100% digital rookie
Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2011 09:33 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, guys

This is painful.
First feature and key loading were done while tech's were still here. Next film is now ready, but the key is not. I haven't been listening enough that single try, and now what...

The "no book" DSS200 says, when I press "help":

Managing licenses:

1: Click "Content" - Done
Then "manage" - OK - grounded allready here:
Press "manage" where ? The word does not exist on my screen.

Please say the magic word (You may laugh while typing)

Per

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-17-2011 10:07 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Go to Content then click on the tab to Load Licenses.

Plug your thumb drive with the key on it into one of the front USB ports....if they keys are in the ROOT of the USB, it should show up, the grayed out button will light up that allows you to load the licenses.

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2011 10:15 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Steve.

It's 4am now here. I'll try this first thing awake again.

And thanks for not laughing loud enough for me to hear on my side of the Earth [Smile]

Per

Kris Verhanneman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2011 01:59 AM      Profile for Kris Verhanneman   Email Kris Verhanneman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Per,

also make sure that the keys are either in a zip file or decompressed on the USB drive.

Last piece of advice, use a usb drive that only contains KDM's. To much other junk can confuse the dolby server witch results in a USB drive that doesn't recognise the usb drives that you plug into the server.

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2011 08:46 AM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Both of You -

I believe, it was a defect USB-Stick.
A new stick with the same two keys did the job.
Everything is running fine now, and I'm beginning "to dare" trying those things, I think, I ought to be able to read in a manual. Plug and Pray ! I think, it was Brad, who once wrote, that we should just try and try again. Nothing to be ruined in there.... Off we go ! [Big Grin]

Right now, a storm of hurricane proportions goes over the danish movie business. A couple of small film distributors, specialized in "narrow stuff" movies only, have offered a couple of titles for cinema use on bluray, and the organisations are not amused. I've got one of them running now, with a picture quality on my small screen (15 feet only) that fully equalizes my 35mm scope. This will not, as claimed by critics, ruin the cinemas name and rumor, but on the contrary make possible the fast distribution of films, normally only circulating in Denmark in one or two prints, being half a year or more making their way around, and being worn and dirty before getting to me. I will not be hesitating, if offered more of this kind. Is this being done in the homeland of movies, too ?

Best regards

Per

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-18-2011 11:18 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Kris Verhanneman
use a usb drive that only contains KDM's. To much other junk can confuse the dolby server
Please somebody tell me this isn't true.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2011 01:53 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It isn't, at least not in my experience.

What does catch people out is that, if you have a single KDM on the stick that is not for the server you've stuck it in, the server will simply ignore it. The servers only see relevant KDMs Pretty logical really. It will report no new licences available.

I've had more than one phone call telling me the server doesn't see the KDM, when I look at the KDM it's not for the server in question.

Chase Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2011 03:07 PM      Profile for Chase Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Chase Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With current software I believe 4.2.1 b3 and a few versions before I just can't remember how far back, anyway if the servers are networked together if the KDM is for another server it will distribute it to the other server over the network.

Chase Taylor

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2011 03:20 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding KDM's, is the time wriiten in the code based on your local time or some other time zone? Ex: <ContentKeysNotValidBefore>2011-03-11T03:00:00+00:00</ContentKeysNotValidBefore>
<ContentKeysNotValidAfter>2011-07-01T04:59:59+00:00</ContentKeysNotValidAfter>

If I'm reading this correctly, it say the key is valid at 3am March 11th.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 03-18-2011 03:50 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since it sounds like the KDM's are specific to the server brand per Pete's comment, I would imagine the date format used for that KDM isn't written in a local format but in a standard one that all X servers use for KDM purposes.

But is the 2nd line actually from a real KDM? Because at first glance there seems to be typos for the date. That is, unless they really gave you a KDM that's valid from March 11 to early morning July 1, since I usually remember getting keys that were good for a few weeks although I don't have to deal with those anymore.

Steve Guttag

- posted 03-18-2011 04:16 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
KDM and all of the clocks reference GMT (setting your time zone on your server won't change the KDM's start/stop time).

I believe all of the KDMs are formed the same...however, the particular player knows what KDMs pertain to it and thus will ignore others. That is, if you have a complex of DSS200s...and put in a KDM for a different DSS200...it will ignore it. However, most of our clients are getting KDMs that work for all players in the complex.

-Steve

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2011 05:21 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is the actual code I copied and pasted for ourr KDM of Battle L.A.

Chase Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2011 10:07 PM      Profile for Chase Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Chase Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All theatre's get a key for each server that is in the building, meaning a single file per server. They are all packaged together in a zip file.

Steve with your example if all of your DSS200's are networked together the server that you put the usb stick in with all of your keys on it, the server will distribute all of the keys to the other server so you don't have to walk around and put the usb stick into each server. The show manager software will take care of that for you.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2011 03:56 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good point Chase, you're absolutely right about that.

Now if it was only possible to load KDMs from a remote instance of Show Manager client...

Steve Guttag

- posted 03-19-2011 06:30 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chase you are presuming all installations are networked...not all are (Though it would be easier if they were for several reasons...moving content being one of them).

And yes, I agree...having a client being able to load KDMs would be a nice feature. Then, the computer that is downloading the KDMs from email or whatnot can then log onto the network and load the KDMs right then an there...skip the whole thumb drive step all together.

-Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: