Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Any Hard Digital Screen Numbers? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Any Hard Digital Screen Numbers?
Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 03-13-2011 03:28 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When the conversion to cyan tracks was being put into place, I recall they kept pushing the date-certain for cyan-only prints up further and further before they would actually go fully to all-cyan inventories. They also prolonged the full switch by using the high-magenta interim tracks to ease the transition. The reason I heard why they keep holding back full cyan conversion was because the studios needed something like at least 90%-95% penetration of red readers before they could go exclusively cyan. Loosing any more than 10% would hurt their bottom line.

Does anyone have any stats on the actual number of digital conversions that are in place vs. total US screen count? Where are we in terms of penetration for the whole country? And of course the second question, if we are not near that magic 90% conversion, won't that determine how long studios will keep supplying 35mm prints? Wouldn't the same motivation still apply -- simply that they can't afford to eliminate any more than 10% of the screens on which to play their product?

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-13-2011 08:36 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's surprisingly hard to get updated numbers. Even the Boxoffice and NATO websites don't have the info (or at least, not easily found). On Wikipedia I found this:

quote:
As of June, 2010, there are close to 16,000 digital cinema screens, with over 5000 of them being stereoscopic setups.
...but it has no reference, so who knows where that came from.

If true though, that would mean the U.S. is about 50% converted by now.

For what it's worth, our film booker predicted to me last summer that film would be around for five years, maybe less. We were already having trouble getting film prints from some companies even then.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-13-2011 09:07 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Texas Instruments would know how many chipsets they shipped to the 3 vendors.

Deduct 10% for failures and not installed units. Louis

Jussi Siponen
Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2011 01:12 AM      Profile for Jussi Siponen   Email Jussi Siponen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Media Salles publishes the European Cinema Yearbook - section
Digital Cinemas Worldwide has numbers on digital sites (cinemas) and screens.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2011 02:17 AM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I stopped keeping track after they topped 1,000.

I will say that the majority of installs have been made in the last couple of years. It took about a decade just to get to the 1,000 mark. It was pathetically slow going those first few years.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-14-2011 06:01 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, we are at or about 21% in North America. I actually think the installs for all but the majors is going to slow down in 2012...the VPF deals are going away and that is really going to put the breaks on. Starting in October of this year, the VPF deals, I'm hearing are going to be small enough that it will no longer cover the cost of the typical installation.

3D fueled most of my installations and 3D's bubble has burst...most are now reporting that 3D does not increase sales enough to justify the added expense...especially if you add in the cost of digifying on top of 3D.

-Steve

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-14-2011 11:11 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The site dcinematoday.com had databases on movie theaters equipped with digital projection, but I think they may have removed access to it. I can't find the links to it; anyone wishing to view the material had to register. Maybe I'm overlooking something.

I kept up with tracking digital projection installs when Carmike was doing their conversion. And even there dcinematoday was lagging behind what Carmike would make available on their own web site listings. It's still kind of funny to see Carmike's theaters listing DTS or Dolby Digital logos on d cinema shows (sometimes both logos together) when neither process is really being used.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-14-2011 12:21 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It will be in interesting to see what happens in the next year or so. I suspect that most of the installations that have already been made have been in newer theatres, which presumably have modern sound systems, larger booths, and ample electrical and exhaust facilities.

Many of the remaining theatres are likely older and will be more difficult (and, therefore, more time- and labor- intensive) than the first batch of installations. They will also likely require additional upgrades before [dlp] can be installed.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2011 12:26 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The film company had no cost savings with the conversion to cyan soundtracks. They have an extreme cost savings with the conversion to digital cinema. So the cyan comparison probable isn't a very good one. You would have to go all the way back to incorporating the sound track in to the film rather than on a synchronized record to have a fair comparison. The film companies everyone meet that deadline. I don't know if the theaters did or not.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-17-2011 06:42 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.dcinematoday.com/dc/pr.aspx?newsID=2127

'Worldwide, DLP Cinema screen counts showing Hollywood content rose by 67 percent for 2D and 97 percent for 3D, to grand totals of 28,036 and 18,637 screens respectively.'

That leaves out Sony installs, which shouldn't be too complicated to find on the net, as they have a large number of chain installs and fewer single screen installations.

Note that '97 percent for 3D' doesn't mean that TI DLP has 97% of the 3D DCI market. That passage means 'increases in 2010', that is, 3D DLP installs nearly doubled in 2010. I'm not sure though how TI get's the 3D numbers from their sales alone or how they deal with mixed 2D/3D screens.

- Carsten

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2011 01:06 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the 18,000 + figure exceeds the 50% of the screens the USA market is that here or North America?

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-23-2011 09:53 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Flawed data.

btw: the combination of cyan track & mylar reduced the cost of 35mm significantly. Printing now at 3000 fpm. Louis

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-24-2011 02:07 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ron that figure is worldwide (and out of date now). As Steve noted above, it's somewhere in the 20%-range for the US.

I'm sure some more accurate figures will come out at CinemanCon next week.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2011 11:39 AM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The figure I posted was for North America not world wide according to what the article said.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2011 10:24 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve I'm quite curious about the word "digifying" maybe the word is a typo or just a word I am totally unfamiliar with but "digifying" isn't in any dictionary that I can find. I suppose you might have meant dignifying but knowing you have a much deeper vocabulary than me I was just curious about the word. I am not trying to be smart ass I am just curious!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: