Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Can mpeg be converted to mxf?

Author Topic: Can mpeg be converted to mxf?
Kyle Morrow
Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2011 06:59 PM      Profile for Kyle Morrow   Email Kyle Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As per title: Is there any tools available that can convert mpeg (or other media) to mxf format to work on a digital server.

I may very well be living in a dream, but i would like to convert media on site to be able to play on our QUBE digital server.

Anyone successfully done this?

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 02-22-2011 07:45 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm assuming you mean for free?

There was this thread if you have the patience to go that route.

Alternatively, Cineasset will make you a DCP from another source with the click of a mouse. Unfortunately, you won't get much change from $4000AUD but you will not have the headaches the freeware route will give you.

Have a go at the trial version. It'll let you make a 15 second DCP to test. Works great.

Kyle Morrow
Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2011 08:51 PM      Profile for Kyle Morrow   Email Kyle Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, free or paid program that doesnt involve selling a kidney.

Thanks for the informative and for me, scary link.
I'll buy some headache tablets in advance!

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 02-22-2011 09:14 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
$4000 once over many years would probably be less than Panadol Headache Tablets over the same time.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-23-2011 09:40 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Note that there are possibly two ways to do this: Some servers (and I'm sure the Qubes do) do support MPEG-2 directly. For others, you would have to transcode MPEG to J2k.

Means, the first choice will simply repack the MPEG and audio into the MXF ('wrapping'), the second will create a full DCI/SMPTE compatible J2k DCP.

The free 'DCPC' discussed in the other thread can do both.

Though I advise to first contact Qube, because their servers alwayes offered choices to play alternative, non-DCP content. Maybe there is a simpler way than to create DCPs with the Qubes.

XP-D specs:
'The base system handles DCI JPEG2000 in both 24 fps and 48 fps frame rates, high bit-rate MPEG 2 and VC1 picture while also being expandable with additional software codecs.'

But note that 'MPEG2' doesn't necessarily mean native MPEG2 streams like you use them under Windows - you may still need to wrap them into MXF and create a formal DCP package.

Bear in mind also audio and framerate conversion, de-interlace issues, etc. This is usually more complex to solve for the beginner than the formal file conversion with DCPC.

- Carsten

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 03-12-2013 02:22 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 747 days since the last post.

Tran Phong
Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2013 02:22 AM      Profile for Tran Phong   Author's Homepage   Email Tran Phong   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So free software : FinalDCP . DVD-o matic , DCP buider.. n DoremiCineasset (aiready cracked version 5.2.11)-> I used it.
EasyDCP (cracked v. 1.4)

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2013 10:04 AM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At my location we have been using a program called OpenDCP to make both J2K and Mpeg DCPs. It can be found here: http://opendcp.org/

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 03-23-2013 02:10 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OpenDCP is very easy. We did a premiere last Wednesday at a performing arts center in which we converted a Powerpoint walk in slide, introduction clip by the star of the film and in less than 20 minutes had it loaded on the playlist for QC.....beats setting up Scaler/switcher + Computer + BluRay...We had our hands full with several key problems, studio security with night vision goggles and a Barco set up for rear projection due to lack of lens for front throw.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 03-23-2013 05:15 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tran Phong
EasyDCP (cracked v. 1.4)
There's plenty of acceptable to good Open Source DCP creation software out there. So, even when operating on a budget, there is no real excuse to using pirated software.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-23-2013 08:57 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does OpenDCP wrap an MPEG video into a .MXF container file without re-encoding the video?

From a standpoint of making a JPEG2000 DCP the app would seem pretty convenient, if you're starting with a high quality source such as an uncompressed digital intermediate or at least something running at a really high bit rate. If it's down to "consumer" grade levels of compression already another decode/re-encode step would really make matters worse.

Bajsic Bojan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2013 01:18 PM      Profile for Bajsic Bojan   Email Bajsic Bojan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it is an m2v file (no audio), it will rewrap without reencoding. The rewraping is a faster process also then reencoding to jpeg.

You need a different preset for the colorspace change tho (same screen file, same lens file, i named mine something like "178 MPEG MXF").

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-23-2013 03:02 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it will rewrap, as a matter of fact, it can not even do MPEG2 encoding.

You will have to demultiplex conventional video+audio MPEG2 streams and wrap video and audio separately.

Also, with MPEG2 streams out of the usual breed of 'different' sources, you can never be sure that the server will play it reliably. Re-Encoding with hard constraints could be the better option. Depends on wether it will only be played on a server you can actually test it on.

- Carsten

Yinghong Wu
Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2013 09:12 PM      Profile for Yinghong Wu   Email Yinghong Wu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the Open Source software can solve your problem like this http://dcinemaforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=6.0

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: