Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » technical differences between projector brands?

Author Topic: technical differences between projector brands?
Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-17-2011 09:10 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently read a few setup manuals of series-II projectors. Currently I am lacking manuals for Kinoton and Barco machines.

However, I found that the setup options for the Christie series-II are much broader than for NEC series II. The NEC seems to offer the same basic functionality over the WEB interface as on the local machine panel.
I am sure the NEC setup options are enough for most simple installations, but I ask myself wether more options are hidden in a special installers menu? The christie has a very well thought out system of access limitations for different grades of users. I don't see anything like that on the NEC. I see the same mentioned for the Barco Communicator software, though I have no idea about the range of Barcos setup options compared to Christie.

Any thoughts about the general setup featureset of the Barcos/Kinoton/Cinemeccanica?

The Barco manuals are not freely downloadable it seems. Maybe someone can make them available in the warehouse download section?

I know I can download them after registration with Barco, but it seems you already need to have a Barco machine in order to register. That doesn't help in decision making.

- Carsten

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-17-2011 11:02 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First off...this should be posted here It is hard to find because it is at the TOP!

NEC and Barco have different user levels too. Though I find that most seem to have the all-access level or the no-access level (all or nothing).

It all depends on what features you are looking for as to how limited a projector will seem to be.

I've generally found Barco's software to be the most thought out and best but I have not played with the Christie series IIs to see all of the improvements...the web versions of the ZX and M were slow pigs that were most frustrating to work with. The TPC was better but also nothing compared to Barco.

NECs software is "okay" but clunky in its layout and not quite as intuitive as it should be but if you keep at it, it can let you do most anything...it is just awkward.

-Steve

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: