Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Continental in Denver now "RPX" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Continental in Denver now "RPX"
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-11-2011 04:49 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The big screen at the Continental in Denver, CO has been given the digital 3D upgrade with an 8k lamp and is the 8th Regal RPX auditorium in the chain. RPX officially stands for "Real Pricey Experience". The first movie shown in the auditorium under this banner is the Justin Beeber thingy. How proud they must be. New features include:

-Heightened ticket prices for any movie in this auditorium.
-Old screen removed and replaced with "something bigger".
-102 speaker sound system using a different array of speakers. The stage channels hang from the ceiling like a concert venue (hopefully they are at least behind the screen). The auditorium is wired for 10 channels and uses matrixing to achieve said number of channels.
-All QSC amps (which it already had, but it now has more).
-Designed by Regal techs on their own.
-And most importantly: New leather seating!!!

No word yet on if the screen retains the original D150 curve or not.

This is the auditorium that companies just love to tamper with over and over and over.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-11-2011 10:10 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some more info:

-20 QSC amps
-Total power 100,015 watts (extra 15 watts to power all of the LEDs on the amps to make them look pretty)
-New GIANT screen 70x30 feet scope, 50x30 feet flat (common height = awesome).
-Around 25-30 foot lamberts in 2D, 8-10 foot Lamberts in 3D
-Accepts 5.1 and 7.1 inputs and can matrix out to 9.1 using monopoints (whatever the eff monopoints are)
-Barco built their largest projector for this setup and it can project up to a 105 foot screen if needed. It can project even larger than that if the projector is moved "way back".

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-11-2011 10:24 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh fun. Now to make "Justin Bieber" more presentable .... lol

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2011 09:13 AM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The old GIANT D150 screen was 78x35 feet, constant height.

Do they have any film capability at all now?

I'm also curious to know if they improved the sight-lines that they screwed up (front quarter) when they remodeled the auditorium a few years ago.

Chase Pickett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2011 12:25 PM      Profile for Chase Pickett   Email Chase Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My theater will be the first installed with ETX in a couple of weeks. [puke] The biggest thing I'm looking forward to is a picture that will actually be closer to 35mm in brightness. A 4200 watt bulb just isn't cutting it.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 02-12-2011 12:30 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chase

You'll enjoy 30FL and they'll rent sunglasses at the till. [Smile]

Chase Pickett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2011 12:55 PM      Profile for Chase Pickett   Email Chase Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marco Giustini
You'll enjoy 30FL and they'll rent sunglasses at the till.
Please tell me you aren't pulling my leg. I am looking forward to it then. I hope we can scale it back just a bit if 30fL is the light on screen though. Thanks for making my day. That ETX does mean one less auditorium with a Sony, so I'm cool with that. Speaking of which, does it make sense to anyone here to install a digital, and put a silver screen up just to take it down a year and a half later to retrofit the auditorium for the ETX? Keep in mind we have 3 other auditoriums that seat the same number, have the same screen sizes, and the same overall dimensions which haven't been converted to digital. And that sony they are taking out for the ETX is going away. Not even re-purposed for another auditorium. Seems like a bit of a waste of money.

Jake Spell
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2011 01:32 PM      Profile for Jake Spell   Email Jake Spell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with you Chase, but when do the corporate big wigs ever make good decisions...

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-12-2011 03:29 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Geoff, the new screen is supposedly free-floating and has been moved forward enough to remove about 70 seats. I don't think the D150 curve has been retained. The screen being closer means it appears bigger. They should move it all the way to the back row! No film capability remains in that auditorium. I'd be interested in hearing your opinions of it.

Fun fact: The Continental has far fewer seats now as a 10-plex than it did when it was a 6-plex.

Chase: Does this mean your theater will finally be able to have a "presentation manager"?

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 02-12-2011 04:47 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
Fun fact: The Continental has far fewer seats now as a 10-plex than it did when it was a 6-plex.
Less seats = more full houses. [Razz]

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2011 04:54 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would love to check it out sometime, but first they'll have to show something worth seeing. Right now, the only thing I'm interested in this year is Cars 2. I might check out Thor or Cap'n America if the reviews are outstanding, because I've liked some of the movies from Branagh and Johnson.

But I'll won't see anything at the Continental's ArePeeEchs if I have to wear dark glasses. I only wear dark glasses outside, when it's sunny.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2011 04:56 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
is this the same Continental theater from the 80's. The old Continental theater was a 70MM house there is no way to duplicate a 70MM film on that size of screen with Digital is there?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-12-2011 05:39 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The one and the same. Well, not so much the same any more.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2011 07:09 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I loved that theater shame they screwed up. I worked for Commonwealth it and the Cooper were the flagships. I hated it that they added the baby theaters with them. Cooper Cameo and um whatever they called the additional screen (one i think maybe more) when I worked for them.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-12-2011 11:37 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, they junked the other great single screeners, the Cooper and the Mann Century 21. A Barnes and Noble stands on the Cooper's former site and they gutted the Century 21 and put an Ultimate Electronics inside (they are now going bankrupt).

They kept the Continental mostly intact. They didn't touch the main auditorium during the first renovation other than to add more modern speakers and sound processors, etc. The lobby was turned into auditorium #4, the smallest house in the complex. They built the other auditoriums around the main one which was rechristened as "#5". Then after many more years they added 4 more auditoriums to the east of the building as well as adding stadium seating to the other newer auditoriums, again leaving the main house alone. Then, even though they had no problems putting butts in seats when it came to the big house, they decided it needed to be stadium seating. So they retrofitted it for that, lost a whole mess of seats in the process, screwed up a lot of the sightlines and made the auditorium look like your average, generic multiplex auditorium, only now they couldn't sell as many tickets to the house, but Regal's businessmen aren't very bright. Now they have removed even more seats to add RPX. With the way they're going, soon the auditorium will have the same amount of seats as your average screening room.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: