Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Trailmix Trouble

Author Topic: Trailmix Trouble
Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2011 12:51 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had some fire alarm issues on Thursday, so I couldn't ingest trailers from the 2 discs that we use until late in the afternoon. The Sony's dont like fire alarms.

After having to scroll through all those titles on the hard drive, I was irritated to death.

There is NO logic at all in the groupings of content. PLUS, there is stuff on there that has already opened!!

Why not group the 2D, 3D, Flat, and Scope stuff? It was misery looking back and forth thru the menu before finding what I needed.

I also dont release the current trailmix until I have the new one in my cold dead hands. I've had one experience of opening the new mix just to find that the hard drive won't run, then be given the 3rd degree by the call center person.

I surely doubt that the supplier of the discs will do anything, as they seem to be so good at making it as rough on the booth people as possible.

Am I the only one suffering? Should I just take something and shut up?

|  IP: Logged

Peter Egglington
Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2011 02:41 PM      Profile for Peter Egglington   Email Peter Egglington   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why not?

Matt Johnston
Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2011 06:58 PM      Profile for Matt Johnston   Email Matt Johnston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have access to a SMS-C?

If I'm ingesting into a Sony 220 or 320 (and not into the TMS) I prefer to just sit at the computer and scroll through the files

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2011 07:59 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im one of the lucky ones that still has to ingest at each of the digi projectors.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2011 11:04 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since the trail mixes come every week we only ingest trailers that we need, if any at all.

Chase Pickett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2011 12:55 AM      Profile for Chase Pickett   Email Chase Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I absolutely hate technicolor's trail mixes. I dread when they come in because it means dealing with them. I absolutely love the time wasted flipping through each individual file so much that I often decide not to ship them back for a few days after they give us the shipping label. You piss me off, I piss you off. We also do not have a central server, so ingesting at each projector makes my life a living hell.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-12-2011 02:12 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..don't you just love SONY's since I've heard that they like the Cinedigm HD's than the TECH HD's?

But, just clik on the USB folder to highlight it, click Injest and walk away for a good long while ...

But, I've had to do a total shutdown in the MENU by letting the UPS close down the system, let it sit for a bit, then restart it to get things back to normal ...

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2011 10:42 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After several months of having to download the entire trailer drives just to get 4-5 of them, the deleting the rest, I was really glad when some adjustments were made on our machines. The Cinedigm discs have always opened fast. The others dont.

It's just wrong the way these things are done. All the damn scrolling with no rhyme or reason for the arrangement.

It's all coming back to me... Back in the 1980's I had to feed a computer in a TV station that was hungry for commercials. I hated that job. Look what's happening all over again!! I'm feeding a projector that is hungry for trailers, and the suppliers could care less about making the discs easier to use.

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2011 11:08 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My current location has a central LMS, using the Cinedigm server system, and we have the capability to pick and choose exactly what we want to upload. Hook the hard drive in, let the LMS find what we haven't already downloaded, and then click on the boxes of the files we do not want to ingest. Easy peasy.

Todd McCracken
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2011 04:19 PM      Profile for Todd McCracken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I really feel for the folks using content servers that dont even bother to list the title, just the cpl-ID. It must be profoundly frustrating.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-14-2011 06:56 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chase Pickett
You piss me off, I piss you off.
Trust me here, you will NOT "piss them off," but you might cause their computer system to generate you a bill for a non-returned hard drive. Good luck getting them to reverse that when it happens.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 02-15-2011 08:14 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bruce McGee
Trailmix Trouble
I was thinking this was some new re-mixed Roger Rabbit cartoon.

Moving on...

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2011 04:49 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After I posted that title, I thought about Roger Rabbit, too.

All the best!
[bruce]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: