Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Washing Dolby 3D Glasses (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Washing Dolby 3D Glasses
Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 02-08-2011 09:43 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have those new wire trays for the Dolby 3D glasses. These trays are different from the ones shown in the Dolby training video.

-

The new trays can hold up to 48 pairs of the Cat 834 glasses, or 60 pairs of the new plastic Cat 830 glasses. And it looks like maybe 2 baskets can fit into the Knight commercial dishwasher.

Has anybody had any luck stacking that many pairs of glasses neatly like in the promotional photograph? Ours are not stacking too nice.

Looks like we have the older Cat 830 style. After about the 2nd or 3rd level, they start sliding all into each other. My concern is that they won't all get cleaned.

Am I right to worry about this?

(I haven't been able to test the washer yet because it was just installed and now I'm waiting for the ECO chemical dealers to make their site visit to finish setting it up.)

|  IP: Logged

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 02-08-2011 10:41 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is new tray from Marlin to deal with Cat. No. 832 glasses which is what you should have. the 830's were not intended for the USA cinemas. Long story not for discussion here.

I'll find the notice and send it to you.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-08-2011 10:58 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam - could you send that to me, too? We have those same trays and while they do work well, the glasses do tend to nest together.

Manny Knowles

- posted 02-08-2011 12:17 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sam D. Chavez
Long story not for discussion here.
Those often make the BEST stories!

But seriously, Sam - any reason I get zero results when Googling "Dolby Cat 832" ?

Mike - what have you been doing about the nesting situation? Do you stack fewer? or do you toss 'em in and let the washer somehow deal with the nesting?

And does the washer really only take 3min to do the job? [Eek!]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-08-2011 05:29 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We just stack 'em 4 deep on each side -- if you put them in carefully they'll usually stay up the way they're supposed to.

The washer we have only takes about 90 seconds. (Knight KLE150, undercounter model)

Jack Bauer
Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2011 03:08 AM      Profile for Jack Bauer   Email Jack Bauer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@Sam
I dont want you to elaborate on the "long story" about differences between cat830 and cat832 glasses, but a few words will be appreciated.
Are the lens the same? I dont care if it is only a matter of frame design.
Presently I am using 834's but I want to go plastic. I can get either 830 or 832. Which one would you advise?

Thanks. Jack

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-15-2011 11:19 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cat 832...that is an easy one.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-20-2011 07:03 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolbys current official pricelist quotes CAT834 at 17$, CAT832 at 12$.

http://www.dolby.com/professional/products/cinema/digital-cinema-price-list.html

I assume CAT 834 are the classic ones with spherical 'real' glas, while the cheaper CAT832 are the new type with 'silver foil' glasses.

Now what is CAT 830? Any pictures?

And how does this fit in?

http://www.marlinwire.com/docs/Dolby3D_PlasticReusableGlasses_Dealers.pdf

- Carsten

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 05-20-2011 07:58 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the 830 was discontinued. The 832 is the replacement.

The 834's will take more wash cycles but I don't recall the data.

Jack Bauer
Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2011 08:27 AM      Profile for Jack Bauer   Email Jack Bauer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My data:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=20459886#post20459886
Do you agree? Is cat832 really that design?

Jack

Manny Knowles

- posted 04-03-2012 01:38 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed that calibrating the Knight (KLE-175GT) washer can be a bit tricky...

The wash cycle re-uses the leftover water from the rinse cycle. And, after opening the washer, removing clean glasses and inserting used ones, the temperature of that water drops by about 10 degrees (F).

This means that the rinse cycle needs to be around 130F in order for the wash cycle to be at 120F, which is the minimum for the chemicals to work.

However, the glasses themselves (2 sets of 60pr) will cool the water by about 12F.

So the rinse cycle (empty) needs to be around 140F. This translates to a rinse cycle around 130F with glasses loaded. The subsequent wash cycle (with glasses loaded) is around 120F.

Anybody notice similar results with the Knight washer and the high-capacity trays (pictured in the original post) ?

I'm going to measure the water temperature with a different thermometer, just to make sure that the built-in one is reading right. I've got a few at home that can be calibrated using boiling or iced water.

(BTW my glasses don't look like any of the ones pictured in that last link.)

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-03-2012 06:47 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you attach a photo?

- Carsten

Manny Knowles

- posted 04-03-2012 09:26 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are a few pix of my Dolby 3D glasses:

-

-

-

...and (since this is how the thread got started) here they are "nesting" in the washing trays:

-

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 04-03-2012 11:32 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cat. No. 834Z

Manny Knowles

- posted 04-03-2012 11:37 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haha -- we crossed in the cloud!

...and the Marlin Wire Website has been updated to state that the 834's are a "loose fit" in the 780004 basket, which is probably what I have.

I'm curious about the other basket they have for the 834's (780006) -- so far, no pic on their site.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: