Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Imax Finds a Niche in a Digital Future (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Imax Finds a Niche in a Digital Future
Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 01-30-2011 08:03 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Imax Finds a Niche in a Digital Future

DAVOS, SWITZERLAND — Moviegoers in Moscow who do not want to munch popcorn with the multiplex masses will soon have an alternative. At a V.I.P. cinema that is set to open in April, they will be able to watch blockbusters on a large, curved Imax screen while lounging in oversize leather chairs. The cost of a ticket for one of the 80 seats: close to $100.

At a time when many media companies eye the digital future with dread, worrying about how to persuade consumers to buy their products when free information and entertainment abound on the Web, Imax, a Canadian company, not only gets consumers to spend but also gets them to pay a premium.

Imax had a very good recession. Global box office receipts at Imax theaters more than doubled last year, to $546 million from $270 million in 2009. Under agreements with movie studios and cinema operators, the company keeps about one-third of that revenue.

Only a few years ago, Imax was weighed down by debt and scouting around unsuccessfully for a financial rescuer. The turnaround has prompted speculation about possible offers for the company.

Imax has said it is unaware of any reasons for a recent increase in the price of its stock, which is traded in Toronto and on Nasdaq. But Richard Gelfond, the company’s chief executive, was eager to discuss the company’s turnaround, during the World Economic Forum in Davos last week.

At a time when other media companies are reeling from the effects of piracy, Imax benefits from the fact that it offers an experience that is difficult to replicate outside a specially equipped theater. The screens are big — typically 22 meters wide by 16 meters high, or about 72 feet by 52 feet, though some are much larger. Resolution is higher than that of conventional movies.

But the company needed a technological leap to take advantage of those attributes in ways that were practical and financially viable. Starting in 2007, it switched to a digital projection system, replacing analog film prints, which cost $30,000 apiece, with digital versions that cost $175 per theater.

That made it feasible to expand the number of Imax screens, which is expected to reach nearly 600 worldwide by the end of this year, up from fewer than 300 in 2005. Digitization also encouraged Hollywood studios to make blockbusters like “Avatar” available in the Imax format, which used to be known more for nature films and other educational fare.

Some critics say digital Imax movies are not as good as the film versions, offering lower resolution and, sometimes, smaller screens.

But viewers do not seem to mind. The average Imax ticket price in the United States last year was about $13, Mr. Gelfond said, about $5 more than the overall average cinema price.

Imax’s growth has been particularly speedy in countries like China and Russia, where going to the movies makes for a popular night out. In Russia, the number of Imax screens rose to 15 from four last year, while in China, the total doubled to about 100, Mr. Gelfond said.

“There’s not a lot of live sports or music in China, so movies are the place to be,” he said.

Average Imax ticket prices in China are almost as high as in the United States, and Chinese consumers resold seats to “Avatar” for up to $100 on eBay, Mr. Gelfond said.

In Russia, Imax screens produced an average of $3 million in revenue last year, he said. That was the highest average of any market for the company; in the United States, the comparable figure was $1.2 million.

The company developed plans for the new theater in Moscow, which will be run by a local exhibitor, Formula Kino, after hearing that wealthy Russians sometimes liked to buy up every seat in a theater to treat themselves and a few friends to a private screening.

If the theater is successful, Imax plans to open other V.I.P. rooms, in cities like St. Petersburg, Mr. Gelfond said.

“All over the world, people are willing to pay for premium content,” he said. “They want something they can’t get in the home.”

NYTIMES IMAX
_______________-

It's a matter of time as to when IMAX luxury theatres hit North America. I would like to see reserved seating.

|  IP: Logged

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2011 07:05 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
V.I.P screens failed as a concept when they were only a few dollars/pounds more than a regular seat. How do they remotely think people will pay $100?

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 01-30-2011 07:58 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By making their VIP experience worth ~$100 instead of an extra $5? Just a guess. [Wink]

And you gotta consider that not all VIP concepts are geared towards the same market, as different types of people go to "VIP" things that cost an extra $5 per person than ones that cost an extra $90.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-30-2011 08:57 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still, a hundred bucks seems awful high for a movie. I would say maybe $25 - $30 would be the maximum people would pay. Truly, what could you do that would make people think it was worth $100 a ticket?!

Jake Spell
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2011 09:11 PM      Profile for Jake Spell   Email Jake Spell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe if you have enough money not to care , but if you had that then you prob already have a pretty badass home theater. But then again maybe they know something we dont...

quote: Tom Petrov
I would like to see reserved seating.
The IMAX theater in Myrtle Beach SC used to have reserved seating when it first opened but no longer uses it to my knowledge.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-30-2011 10:03 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
tl;dr

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 01-30-2011 10:16 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Still, a hundred bucks seems awful high for a movie. I would say maybe $25 - $30 would be the maximum people would pay. Truly, what could you do that would make people think it was worth $100 a ticket?!
There definitely are yuppies out there who value the exclusivity that they'd get from that. You and I won't see the value the place is offering, but we're not "high-class enough" to understand.

As an example, an old neighbor chatted with my mom about her family's upcoming move to Toronto. She gloated with pride that they were going to be so rich that they'd get taxed in the 50% bracket (which I believe was about as high in Canada as one could get). While there's no real direct value for her family being taxed in a higher bracket, it was still a point of pride simply because it confirmed to her that she was in this exclusive club.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 01-31-2011 07:11 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only the social-economic situation in Moscow allows this. It's hard to imagine, but this country is going a very strange way. Moscow is the new centre of capitalism in it's worst occurence. If they'd charge 1000US$ per ticket, they would find enough people to pay it. Just because they can show they can afford it. It's not about a premium movie experience. It's sheer decadence. Worse than in the worst czar days.
Not that 1000 per ticket would be the worst that could happen to the people there, it's just another demonstration of how bad a country might recover from communism.

- Carsten

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2011 10:08 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, premium screens or offerings have not failed, far from it. We can be empty and people will choose our premium seating. You only need to look at The Rex in Berkhamsted to see how successful the premium experience can be. Every new large Cinema built recently in the UK has had a premium section in it. Our business is about escapism and if you're sat in some posh section looking half-decent you could be anyone. People will pay for that.

Anyway with regards to the Russian venture, I want to see how they design an 80-seat IMAX auditorium. In their world of an elite at the new global centre of conspicuous consumption how much of a stretch is $8000 to rent the whole place out for a show?

I wouldn't want to go to an IMAX with unreserved seating, getting my chosen seat at that price is essential for me. You shouldn't have to queue or scramble in to get the best seats either, IMAX should be better from the moment you buy your tickets not just in the screen. It's no more expensive to do it either since you've already got a host in there.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-01-2011 10:33 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BTW - IMAX invested in a laser-projection venture quite a while ago - though this doesn't seem to pay out in short terms. Has anyone heard of plans to migrate lIeMAX to 4k DLP now that it slowly becomes available?

- Carsten

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-01-2011 02:52 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or, would you think that lIeMAX stays with 2*2k while the classic 15/70 locations will be equipped with 2*4k DLP?

- Carsten

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2011 07:59 AM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If Imax stick with 2*2k then other cinemas with 4k projection will be able to advertise themselves as having a better picture than Imax. (This will not apply to the Sony equipment when running 3D content)

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2011 03:54 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://gizmodo.com/5250625/cineplexes-getting-imax-but-is-it-imax-or-conspiracy

quote:
Cineplexes Getting IMAX, But Is It IMAX or CONSPIRACY?

You've probably seen the new phenomenon with your own eyes: A cineplex IMAX that doesn't have the monster screen you grew up with in science-museum IMAX theaters. Here's the what, the how and the why.

Just last night, comedian Aziz Ansari (from Parks and Recreation) published this piece describing the conspiracy of paying an extra $5 to see an "IMAX" movie that really wasn't much bigger than a normal screen.

I actually visited IMAX HQ a few weeks back, and a major point of discussion was the retrofitting process so lovingly described by Aziz. Basically, IMAX used to build their own massive theaters in their own buildings. But now, in order to expand, the company has made a deals with major theater chains like AMC in which they'll provide and install their proprietary mix of projectors, screens, speakers and hardware if the theater will foot the bill for the necessary structural renovations.

This plan, for better or worse, is IMAX's only current design for expansion in the US.
This conversion process, which has a patented geometry, includes installing a screen that's only slightly bigger (as little as 10 feet wider than before), but this screen is coupled with the removal of several rows of seats which allows it to be scooted roughly 30 feet closer to the audience, creating a sort of sitting too close the TV effect with a screen that, I was told, is perceived as 75 feet wider than before.

When the process was described to me, I thought it all sounded a bit hokey. But walking into IMAX's test multiplex, an otherwise typical AMC located in a Canada, I was shown a side-by-side of the same theater before and after the retrofitting process.

I will say, the new screen looked much bigger and far more imposing—"night and day" would make for a fair analogy. My mind wasn't mentally prepped for such a tangible difference, though I'd agree that it still fell short of, say, the unbelievable, multi-story beast of a screen that I watched Star Trek on several days later at a classic, standalone IMAX.

But the change I didn't expect (and I can't pretend to have perceived this tidbit up on my own) was a remarkable difference from acoustic paneling. Clapping in the original theater revealed a very live environment with a frightening amount of echo. The retrofit, however, absorbed the sound in a pleasant way, reminiscent of more than one acoustically-planned stage I performed on back in my band days.

There are other improvements as well, including a specifically non-THX-certified sound system, reaching up to 14,000W, that offers 117db of uncompressed digital sound without distortion. Engineers claimed that in a normal theater, the sweet spot for audio is in the dead center, and technicians make no effort to tend to those sitting in the back. Meanwhile, IMAX's system promised the same surround experience anywhere in the theater.

I tested that theory during a screening of some Rolling Stones at the Max footage by moving from the center of the theater to the back right corner. And there's absolutely no doubt, I lost a good deal of the side channels while the rear channel (in this case, it was the lead guitar, I believe), dominated the audio spectrum. I wouldn't have expected IMAX to have achieved the impossible unless, you know, they claimed that they had.
The other chief part of this retrofitting process is the new digital IMAX projector. Since its debut in the 70s, the Xenon-lamp-powered projector has stayed mostly unchanged. But with film prints reaching around $40,000 apiece, IMAX has embraced the digital revolution in their theaters (the cameras are still film with no plans mentioned to change that).
With the digital installations, films arrive on a standard hard drive, encrypted with DRM provisions that state just when a theater is authorized to play a film…errr…video.
Their projector is actually two, 2K Christie projectors that spit out the same image at the same time. A camera is positioned in between the projector lenses, tracking screen brightness in real time. An integrated server aggregates this and other data, adjusting both projectors for thermal shift, making sure the images don't change as they play. There are also a slew of other, top secret proprietary imaging adjustments going on at all times.

I know what you're thinking: Why didn't IMAX just use a 4K projector and save the hassle, especially with AMC announcing that all of their theaters would be equipped with 4K Sony projectors by 2012? IMAX does believe their projector offers a sub-pixel accuracy that, when combined with some extra imaging processing, looks better than Sony's 4K.

You can see imperfections in their digital projection system just like any digital system. The screen door effect, while minimized, can be noticed in bright spots of the image—if you're looking as closely and skeptically as I was. And you only need to move back in the theater to realize that the picture does appear sharper as you step away from the screen. In other words, it's not hitting some theoretical maximum perceived resolution…or even the best of what IMAX film can show. (As IMAX archives their own film into 8K and 12K prints, you can assume that the company feels the resolution of their product is much higher that their digital projectors may show).

The good news is that IMAX's digital projection system is "projector agnostic," meaning if a more suitable base projector comes around (be it 2K, 4K or higher), the realtime syncing and adjustment system can scale accordingly. In other words, when every AMC is stocked with 4K projectors in a few years, hopefully IMAX will be upping the ante as necessary by dual wielding 4K+ projectors instead.

So is this new IMAX, with smaller screens, with digital projection, still IMAX? Honestly, there are probably only a small handful of technicians—who aren't exactly sharing proprietary knowledge and decisions—capable of answering that question with complete scientific earnestness. To my eyes and my gut, it's more IMAX Lite or Normal Theater Enhanced—which makes sense, given that IMAX film has been estimated at a theoretical 18K resolution.

Is a retrofitted theater worth your extra $5? For the movies most likely to make it to the screen (big budget action), I think so...though maybe not for a family of four.

The price probably shouldn't be the same as a standalone IMAX theater, but I think that the point Ansari misses is that cineplexes are already benefiting from a pricing structure that makes viewers pay the same amount no matter what screen they see a movie on (how many times do beautiful art films get shunned to a broom closet of a theater while summer blockbusters are played on a plex's largest screen?). At minimum, the $5 IMAX premium ensures you see a movie on a screen that's better than the best AMC or whoever has in their building.

Personally, I hate to know that we will probably never see another 12,700sqft foot IMAX screen built (like that found in Mumbai), and that 70mm film projection is being traded for digital before digital is undeniable image perfection. But if the compromise is that more people will be seeing movies in theaters with bigger pictures and tighter quality control, then maybe it's a compromise worth making.

Look for lots more on our IMAX visit in the coming weeks.

I hope that formatting worked, and went some way to answering your question.

Frederick Lanoy
Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2011 04:08 PM      Profile for Frederick Lanoy   Email Frederick Lanoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I asked this question to IMAX's people for an article about digital IMAX. The answer is :

"We will upgrade to 4 K anywhere we think it will benefit the experience for the audience."

Well, Digital IMAX should be 4 K everywhere.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2011 04:33 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was under the impression that LieMAX was dual 4K projectors? Now they are running dual 2K? or has it always been this?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: