Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Best 3D for a HUGE screen (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Best 3D for a HUGE screen
Jake Spell
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2011 12:45 AM      Profile for Jake Spell   Email Jake Spell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having just changed ownership, the theater I work at is looking into adding 3D. It is a former IMAX and has a HUGE screen (69'x29' matte white) and lighting it with a 6k bulb and 35mm film is enough of a challenge.

From what I'v seen here and herd elsewhere Dolby is the best but would be impossible to light on that sized screen even with 2 projectors. We are trying to avoid changing the screen out if possible.

As a single screen we have to have the best picture for both 2D and 3D in the area, which means going against RealD and a liemax.

So what would you recommend? Is Xpand going to blow peoples minds the way Dolby would, or is Dolby going to be way to dark?

Thanks in advance

Jake

|  IP: Logged

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 01-19-2011 01:06 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Without a doubt I would go for IMAX Digital.

Check out a Cineplex Odeon AVX and you will see how dark RealD is on there massive screen

Jake Spell
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2011 01:24 AM      Profile for Jake Spell   Email Jake Spell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMAX is not a choice as they are the completion and I know how bad RealD looks, It is in the local Carmike plus it requires a silver screen which we are trying to avoid because of the hot spotting and loosing the 3D effect in certain areas of the theater.

Also Worth Noting: Screen throw is 74' so people sit REALLY close to the screen, so 4K is a must as soon as it becomes available.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 01-19-2011 01:38 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So are you trying to re-create IMAX in your own way?

Big D, ETX, UltraAVX are all examples you should be looking at.

Jake Spell
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2011 02:01 AM      Profile for Jake Spell   Email Jake Spell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't say that were trying to recreate IMAX, just that we are offering something different and better. Ironicly our screen is larger than our local lieMAX whose slogan, if In not mistaken, is "Think Big".

As far as AVX, ETX, and any other three letter "Premium" formats I would love to see and compare them myself, but there aren't any close to me. Do you know any details yourself other than opinions, what projector, what 3D, type of screen? Ill defiantly go re-read your review of the formats in the TRON movie review.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2011 02:14 AM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMAX digital uses a silver screen so the existing screen would probably need to be painted.

It's an interesting question as I do prefer the look of dolby 3d on a white screen. Can dolby and expand/ panastereo 3d work as a 2 projectors systems? Can a single 3d projector system fill a huge white sheet?

I have seen real d fill a 70ft wide silver screen quite well!

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 01-19-2011 02:23 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The EXT, AVX, and Empire Extra theatres in my area are about the same size as the smaller IMAX or Liemax digital theatres. If you are trying to top IMAX 3D, I am not sure if it is possible as I personally think it is the best way to see 3D.

As for ETX, they are using 4K projectors. The AVX I think is a 2k upgradable to 4k...not sure what is was for sure, but I think it was 4k.

The big difference aside from picture is that the AVX/EXTRA screens have reserved seating. I think this is where you can gain an advantage over IMAX.

quote:
I have seen real d fill a 70ft wide silver screen quite well!
And coming right out of an IMAX presentation, the REALD AVX 70 footer looked terrible for the same TRON movie

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-19-2011 03:16 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tom Petrov
Without a doubt I would go for IMAX Digital.
For a HUGE screen? Screw that, go with REAL IMAX instead.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 01-19-2011 03:22 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
For a HUGE screen? Screw that, go with REAL IMAX instead.
Does IMAX even install traditional 15/70 anymore?

quote: Jake Spell
they are the completion
IMAX does not really care how close you are to the next theatre. We have two sets of cinemas in the GTA. The Paramount vs AMC Yonge/Dundas and the Coliseum vs AMC Courtney Park. The theatres are very close. The AMC theatres are playing Green Hornet while the Coliseum/Paramount are playing TRON.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-19-2011 03:44 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure they don't.

Kris Verhanneman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2011 03:55 AM      Profile for Kris Verhanneman   Email Kris Verhanneman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
a dual projection stack of 2 DP2K-32B Barco projectors can give you enough light for a great dolby 3D projection.

We have one on a silver screen of 250mē and have lots of light.

Now you should check how much light you lose sinds your screen isn't new. And given the fact that you are very close to the screen you should contact Barco to check with their technical staff. Theire may be a solution to use 2 smaller projectors. But that needs to be calculated.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2011 05:21 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marcus uses Real-D on some of their Ultra-Screens. I've seen it and it looks good, but the screening I saw did not use the full width of the screen.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-19-2011 10:08 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay...lets say you have a Matte white screen (unlikely but certainly possible). Using a single projector and Dolby 3D...you will need 125,546 lumens to get Dolby 3D in spec. for your Scope image. That doesn't seem too likely.

Going to a dual-stack system, you can cut that number by MORE than half to about 56,500 Lumens...still more than any set of current projectors and muster. Use anamorphics (and I highly recommend them for side-masked screens for Scope) and you are down to just 43,500 Lumens. Still more than you can buy from current projectors.

The last bit will need to come from the screen. Use a 1.4 gain pearl and you are down to 26,100 and then you have your choice of all three DLP projectors, Barco DP2K-32B, Chrisite CP2230, or NEC 3200. You will be running 6-6.5K lamps in BOTH machines but you WILL hit 3D light specs WITH Dolby 3D and the lowest gain (greatest viewable angles with the best light). All of this is going to cost a bit...not only to buy but also to keep up with...buring 6K lamps x 2...the most expensive combined with the shortest lived. It will look spectacular though.

Now most will poo-poo the anamorphics and say use a higher gain screen (1.8 or 2.2). The FLAW in that plan is you really only hit your light in ONE place on the screen. Everywhere else you are below spec. Furthermore, even in that sweet spot, if you look even 20-degrees to the left or right, you are again below spec. The anamorphics are a good solution though they are pricey. However, you only need to buy them once. They also allow you to better match your light needs between scope and flat. Just remember, as far as your projector is concerned...when you are running scope, your screen is over 36-feet tall! Without the anamorphic, you are pissing away light to light the drapes.

Note too, if you wait a few months...all of this will translate into 4K (which is here now but I would avoid being on the first wave of most anything in technology). On a giant screen, the greater density of the pixels is going to improve the experience for those sitting closer...even on a 2K master as all projection artifacts are cut by 75%...including convergence.

As for Xpand...there is no dual projector solution, that I am aware of, since they are an active glasses solution..they depend on only one eye showing at a time. As a single projector solution, they could work. You are starting out needing 70,300 Lumens on a matte white. Using anamorphics, you are down to 54,100. With a 1.4 gain screen, you'll just squeak by...with a new lamp. A 1.8 gain screen should get you there with some head room, but not much and you are getting into a notably hot spotty screen. Likewise for the 2.2 gain offerings but you are down to 24,600 lumens...which gives you the proper headroom. However, you are now paying for expensive glasses and have effectively the same nasty dispersion as a silver screen...just that it is white and will have better colors. Your operating costs are lower than the Dolby solution but it certainly will be an inferior show, light uniformity wise.

-Steve

Jake Spell
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2011 12:00 PM      Profile for Jake Spell   Email Jake Spell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the great info!! [thumbsup] [beer]

Steve your vast knowledge in all things related with projection continues to amaze me!! [thumbsup]

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2011 12:41 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would also consider how close your front row is to your screen. If your screen is REALLY big, and the seating in the front rows is too close, you're going to end up ripping your customers' eyes apart trying to converge images.

Bigger does not equal better in 3D.

(Don't think this will be an issue if it was previously an IMAX theater, though.)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: