Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » TRON: LEGACY in IMAX3D/LIEMAX/15.70mm/RealD/UltraAVX Back2back2back2backt2back (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: TRON: LEGACY in IMAX3D/LIEMAX/15.70mm/RealD/UltraAVX Back2back2back2backt2back
Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 01-10-2011 11:48 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All rights folks, I had a oppotunity to visit and watch a number of movies this weekend at three different theatres thanks for friends who work in the exhibition industry. It also just so happened that these theatres were all playing TRON LEGACY in IMAX3D/IMAX15.70/LIEMAX/RealD and UltraAVX. I was able to watch a good 45 is some of the presentations for the IMAX and a small amount in the non-IMAX. Throw in a 35mm presentation of The Kings Speech and a DLP presentation of Blue Valentine all within a 48hr period and you have results that might surprise you.

Let me just say, fresh of the heals of watching two 70mm films presented in 70mm, IMAX Digital/15.70 is best method to watch TRON LEGACY in 3D and the presentation is FAR superior than 35mm/or DLP.

My results are from what I saw and where I would pay going forward.

First up: IMAX 3D in Mississauga. I was not able to tell if the first screen that was playing was IMAX 15/70 or Digital. The theatre did have two side by side projectors showing the picture. Large screen but not enormous. I would have to say, at least 3.5 stories tall.

Right away I noticed how much more calibrated the picture looked. The sound was also incredible.

The thing that I noticed the most was that this theatre was clearly built for IMAX. There were only 8-10 rows of seats (250apx) total. All curved and pointed directly towards the center of the screen. Seats and theatre felt like it was shaking.

Second Up: IMAX at AMC retrofit. Just like the IMAX in Mississauga, the picture looked solid and consistent. Was not dark at all. Theater and seats felt like there were shaking. Sounded very good. Screen was large but not huge.

And this is where the LIEMAX comes in. The theatre was clearly built for standard 35mm. Nothing like the first theatre or the 15.70 I was at. I personaly like sitting close (first 5 rows) and I had no problem with the smaller screen size but I can see why people would assume that this is not a real IMAX.

Third Up: IMAX 15/70 in Toronto. The screen was HUGE. I am talking massive compared to the other two. From what I understand, the IMAX screen at Scotiabank is 62.5 feet by 90 feet. I did noticed that 2D parts were not really 2D and you had to keep the glasses on. Sound was very good but not as good IMO as the Digital Presentation. (I have no idea if the sound is same or what not)

While the screen was massive and resolution good, it did not make a difference that is was film. If any of the screens were to be fatigue, it would be the one at Scotiabank.

The conclusion I found was that all three IMAX presentations were very consisent. It just looked better than standard DLP or 35mm. Also, the brightness levels were much higher than RealD and it seemed there was a lot more depth in the 3D images.

I also really liked how the screen opened up in certain sceens to become full.

Real D of TRON LEGACY in the same complex as IMAX was terrible, so was the presentation of AVX which is just too dark on these screens.

As for all the LIEMAX claims, I am not sure if this is true as it appeared that the screen size and throw did not matter. I did notice that a lot of people were at the back of the busy theatre. I like to sit at the front and there was nobody around me. I don't sit far from the screen so this theatre build would not bother me. I think people would chill out about LIEMAX if the theatres were much smaller while keeping a the same medium/large sized screen.

If I had to pick, all three IMAX presentations were good in my books, all three were much more involving than RealD and the picture looked very good. Sound was outstanding the the experience was better than standard 35mm or RealD. 15/70 would not be enough to sway me one way or the other based on this weekends experience.

I will be sure to watch the next big EVENT movie in IMAX.

I am a fan!

NOTE: I could heard the projector of the 15/70 at the Scotiabank Theatre during the credits when I was hanging out in the back row.

Note, I am sure 15/70 will blow my mind if it was filmed in IMAX and was non 3D.

All of the above comments are not an attack on 15/70/DIGITAL/35MM or anything like that.

Just an FYI, IMAX technicians test IMAX movies in a closed door retro fit theatre in the Oakville area.

|  IP: Logged

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 01-11-2011 12:49 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[sleep] [sleep] [sleep] [sleep] [Roll Eyes]

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 01-12-2011 12:02 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tom Petrov
If any of the screens were to be fatigue, it would be the one at Scotiabank.
I am not an Imax expert but it may have been because of the following?

I did noticed that 2D parts were not really 2D and you had to keep the glasses on.
since the 2D parts were actually 2D [Smile]

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 01-12-2011 07:59 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
since the 2D parts were actually 2D [Smile]
The two parts in a REALD or IMAX Digital were not 2D in the 70/15. They became 2D while wearing the glasses.

Does this makes sense?

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 01-12-2011 08:05 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed that the 2D scenes were in fact 2D but were not on the same plane as the screen. I don't remember if the image was set further away from the audience or closer to the audience, but it was definitely not the same distance as the screen. And it wasn't off by much. It was kind of like it was five feet in front of (or behind, don't remember which) the screen. If that makes sense. I'm not sure if that's what you're talking about or not. This was a 15/70 show.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2011 11:12 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
in regards to the switching aspect ratios, it sounds like this decision to go full screen on select scenes was a marketing tool for the IMAX version and not par the director's intent (or even actually filmed that way in the first place). According to the article in American Cinematographer:

"The filmmakers framed for 2.35:1 and 'we protected the top and bottom of the 2.35 frame in order to keep items from breaking the horizontal frame lines' notes (Joseph) Kosinski 'When the brain preceives a depth cue disrupted by those edges,it gends to ruin the illusion'"

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 01-13-2011 12:07 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark J. Marshall
If that makes sense. I'm not sure if that's what you're talking about or not. This was a 15/70 show.
What I mean is this. In a RealD or IMAX 3D Digital cineam, without the glasses on the 2D parts/scenes were perfect 2D

The IMAX 3D 70mm on the other hand had was blurred during the 2D segments which was corrected when putting on the glasses.

quote:
n regards to the switching aspect ratios, it sounds like this decision to go full screen on select scenes was a marketing tool for the IMAX version and not par the director's intent (or even actually filmed that way in the first place). According to the article in American Cinematographer:
These guys claim it was fulled with the extended frame and the picture is not zoomed. TRON/EXTENEDED scenes

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 01-13-2011 07:45 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could be that the projectors are aimed differently or that the IMAX screen is so much larger that the images were separated more in IMAX than in DLP. That would cause both what you saw and what I saw.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 01-13-2011 11:52 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I mean is this. In a RealD or IMAX 3D Digital cineam, without the glasses on the 2D parts/scenes were perfect 2D

The IMAX 3D 70mm on the other hand had was blurred during the 2D segments which was corrected when putting on the glasses.

What I meant is that maybe the IMAX 70mm setup was misaligned. If the scene were supposed to be 2D and you saw them "3D", maybe what you saw was just a bad-aligned setup. That would explain the fatigue as well.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 01-13-2011 12:24 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good detailed, overall evaluation, Tom.
The conclusion I found was that all three IMAX presentations were very consisent. It just looked better than standard DLP or 35mm. Also, the brightness levels were much higher than RealD and it seemed there was a lot more depth in the 3D images.
And I came to similar conclusions re: LIEMAX; albeit LIEMAX is no longer film-based in most venues, it really is the way to see high-end presentation today and it beats out other formats every time, be it 3D or 2D. I know that like others, I have ranted against LIMAX vis-à-vis the loss of the 15/70 IMAX film system as a format, but putting that aside -- and you must because it is not going to change given the economics, except perhaps for the few huge vehicles like DARK KNIGHT -- IMAX Digital (dual projector) is really the best way to see a movie nowadays.

I liken IMAX-D to what 70mm film theatre operations were during the hayday of 70mm. If you wanted the best presentation experience, you sought out a 70mm theatre. I think IMAX-Digital theatre are the new 70mm venues of the 60s, 70s & 80s. I am not talking about the single issue of image resolution, size and brightness because 5/70 still beats everything hands down, but the over-all theatre operation, including picture, sound and especially theatre creature comforts. The present-day IMAX-D cinemas are run like each one is a "flagship" level theatre, at least of the ones I have gone to, that has been the case.

According to the CEO, IMAX is actively working toward dual 4K projection and even higher rez, which is good news because it means as good as they are able to get their picture now, which as Tom notes and I agree, is VERY good, it will only get better. So bottom line is, I don't mind paying for the higher-end quality presentation....well, yah I mind, but if this is the way it's structured today, then I'd rather pay for better rather than suffer mediocre to save a few dollars -- I just won't by as much of their over-priced grease-ladened junk food.

I don't think it was wise for the industry to make customers pay extra for a level of presentation that it should be acheiving for every screening in every theatre, but it is what it is, so if I have to pay for premium, I will, just like I sought out 70mm theatres back in the day -- I will just choose more selectively the films that I actually think are worthy of me schleping out to see them in a theatre at all. No doubt there will be fewer of those than in the past.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2011 11:33 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
considering that the IMAX Digital projector are Texas Instrument DLP systems, it'd make sense for the IMAX-Digital dual projector systems to be upgraded to 4K playback, since Christie and Barco systems are being released as such.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 01-14-2011 01:52 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Angel
I know that like others, I have ranted against LIMAX vis-à-vis the loss of the 15/70 IMAX film system as a format, but putting that aside -- and you must because it is not going to change given the economics, except perhaps for the few huge vehicles like DARK KNIGHT -- IMAX Digital (dual projector) is really the best way to see a movie nowadays.
Hey Frank, thanks for posting and responding. I agree that IMAX Digital/15.70 is the best way to see a movie nowadays. While the screen at the IMAX in Toronto was huge, the screen size really did not do it for me, it was in a way too big.

What I did noticed from each of the three theatres I visited was that the screen being closer, the colour/contrast etc, sound and overall theatre design (except the AMC) is what made the difference. The consistency of the IMAX image from each theatre was pretty much the same.

I saw a number of digital, 35mm, and RealD UltraAVX presentation to compare against the IMAX 3D and nothing came as close.

Even tonight, I saw How Do You Know in 35mm on a 14 foot screen which blew away The King's Speech from the other night that looked horrible on the a 20 footer show in 35mm.

I think IMAX-Digital theatre are the new 70mm venues of the 60s, 70s & 80s.
I kind of disagree, I look at it more as kind of like a more modern THX Home Video type thing only for the theatres. I mean, the film is perhaps not recorded in 70mm but they have done things to the sound, image, grain that have enhanced the movie presentation so that it is of high quality. Then inside the theatre, the screen is closer, sound is a bit better etc. 3D is brigher etc.

. So bottom line is, I don't mind paying for the higher-end quality presentation.
Me too! and it looks like the public loves the IMAX Experience.

Could be that the projectors are aimed differently or that the IMAX screen is so much larger that the images were separated more in IMAX than in DLP. That would cause both what you saw and what I saw.

I guess its possible. Or perhaps the Digital is going IN/OUT of 2D/3D while the film format can't.

I mean, has there ever been a 2D IMAX film showing on 70/15 with dual projectors?

quote:
he present-day IMAX-D cinemas are run like each one is a "flagship" level theatre,
I would have to agree, the Digital cinemas are also monitored by IMAX Corp in real-time which is a benefit for us moviegoers

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2011 12:29 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's good to see that people are appreciating the IMAX digital format, and what IMAX are trying to do regarding standards across the whole visit to the film.

We've had a good launch to our IMAX digital and it blows away anything we had before. Our team have also got behind it which is great. The way IMAX presented the digital format and experience to us as Managers was very impressive and won me over, despite this website giving me a healthy dose of scepticism!

I still think there is a place for 15/70 IMAX, but for a Cinema like ours the digital is a brilliant addition.

Tom I agree with what you say about Tron, posted elsewhere that I'd seen it across different formats and IMAX Digital 3D was a lot better. I sat through the tech rehearsal of Green Hornet yesterday so will try and see some of it in RealD to compare as well.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 01-14-2011 01:00 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, when I see IMAX, I want to see a GIANT screen in front of me. That's the way it's been for like 387 years. Now all of a sudden a screen the size of the front of a standard multi-plex theater is ok. Sorry, that's not IMAX. Is it cool? Maybe, but they should call it something else.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 01-14-2011 01:05 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, when I see IMAX, I want to see a GIANT screen in front of me
And how long have they been showing "Hollywood" fare, feature length films on these giant screens you are talking about?

I saw "How Do You Know" in 35mm on a small 14 foot screen, I also saw "The Fighter" on a 45 footer at AMC. Should the smaller 14 footer be called "35mm lite"?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: