Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Loading DCP Content onto Hard drives

Author Topic: Loading DCP Content onto Hard drives
Chase Pickett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2011 03:05 PM      Profile for Chase Pickett   Email Chase Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been working with a local Independent film studio on getting content loaded onto a hard drive properly for a full digital presentation, but as I do not know anything about the studio side of loading content I am not much help beyond telling this studio that their content isn't ingesting properly, so I feel a bit useless. If someone knows about this and is willing to share info with me, it will be much appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 01-10-2011 07:25 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
See if you can get them in contact with the technical people that make the software for your servers. I would imagine they would be your best bet at diagnosing why the stuff isn't working and to give them any pointers.

And is there any error log produced on the server when the ingesting fails? I'd imagine your technical support people would be able to glean information from that if it exists/was created.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-10-2011 07:32 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought they were coming out there to load it for you.

Chase Pickett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2011 07:58 PM      Profile for Chase Pickett   Email Chase Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe- they came out here and were unsuccessful themselves...
Chris- The guy I talked to from our Sony tech support was able to tell me exactly what I already knew. The problem lies in the file itself, and not the ability of our media block to recognize it, and read/ingest it. So I am wondering if anyone has ever had any experience with formatting content to be used in a D Cinema scenario. I know the editing was used with final cut pro (mac elitists) so I do not know what is entailed when converting to linux.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 01-10-2011 09:28 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I said, they (as in the studio people) need to contact Sony. The people at Sony will be better at figuring out what is wrong with the file and what to tell the guys to do to make their files not be horribly broken.

Chase Pickett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2011 10:44 PM      Profile for Chase Pickett   Email Chase Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I shall get them in contact with each other.

Jeremy Spracklen
Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2011 11:47 PM      Profile for Jeremy Spracklen   Email Jeremy Spracklen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of file are they trying to ingest exactly? It takes something a lot more specific than just converting a movie file to a linux format.

Is it a DCP package? What software did they use to make it? Final Cut Pro cannot output a DCP package natively.

Chase Pickett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2011 03:15 PM      Profile for Chase Pickett   Email Chase Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jeremy Spracklen
What kind of file are they trying to ingest exactly? It takes something a lot more specific than just converting a movie file to a linux format.

Is it a DCP package? What software did they use to make it? Final Cut Pro cannot output a DCP package natively.

What's the something more specific?
What software should they have used? I'm not sure what they used.

Jeremy Spracklen
Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2011 04:23 PM      Profile for Jeremy Spracklen   Email Jeremy Spracklen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just output a DCP package and the file types inside were:

1. An Asset Map
2. 2 MXF files.
3. A CPL file.
4 A PKL file.

Does the file that you are trying to ingest look something like that (different software will output slightly different packages)? Also, look at Film-Tech's Warehouse Page under DCI content. Download one of those and check out the file structure there.

DCI CONTENT

Compressor can be used, but you have to have a special plugin that is NOT easy to figure out and you have to have a VERY specific version of FCP to even get it to work.

Chase Pickett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2011 04:48 PM      Profile for Chase Pickett   Email Chase Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeremy thank you for your help. I sent exactly what you said onto the representative I've been in contact with. This is what he said back. "That is what ours looks like plus there is also a volume index. Additionally, this DCP has a subdirectory that contains the subtitle file and its corresponding font file. The DCP was authored using a DVS clipster."

Jeremy Spracklen
Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2011 02:15 AM      Profile for Jeremy Spracklen   Email Jeremy Spracklen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not familiar with Clipster, so all I can really recommend is to do a new output from scratch. I know that sometimes I will output projects and they will play perfectly on a Dolby server but a Doremi will just ignore it. If I do a new output without changing a single setting, it will suddenly work.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 01-13-2011 11:24 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They could also talk to DVS and mention the Sony servers.

Did they make sure the media format for ingest is ext3?

- Carsten

John Gavin
Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2011 02:44 AM      Profile for John Gavin   Email John Gavin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the correct files are on the media, then it is most likely that
the video or audio or subtitle files were manipulated after the
package was made. I have seen this happen where a last minute
change resulted in the engineer replacing the audio file but not
re creating the package so that the Assetmap did not match the
current assets in the package. Which should be rejected by the
server.

Even if the file names appear correct the uuid number may be different.

Chase Pickett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2011 02:58 AM      Profile for Chase Pickett   Email Chase Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, I think you hit it on the head. It worked just fine a few months ago, but they added subtitles to the DCP after they saw the need to subtitle locations. I will pass along this message. Thanks for your help.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: