Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Renting Digital Projector

Author Topic: Renting Digital Projector
Jake Spell
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2011 10:21 PM      Profile for Jake Spell   Email Jake Spell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The theater I work at is looking into renting a digital projector to fill a 54'w x 29'h screen with content from a Direct TV or cable box.

Thanks for any help!!

|  IP: Logged

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 01-07-2011 11:20 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do they have a barrel full of money?

Jake Spell
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2011 01:50 AM      Profile for Jake Spell   Email Jake Spell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not exactly... If its something that is going to cost a fortune to do then they may hold out for a permanent install. Just looking for some pricing for the moment.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-08-2011 03:23 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
If its just DirecTV, they may get out of it cheaper by renting two portable (professional 3 chip DLPs) and stack them.

Jake Spell
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2011 11:51 AM      Profile for Jake Spell   Email Jake Spell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you know any places that rent these? Were located in Charleston South Carolina.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2011 06:48 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The cost of video projectors has dropped alot over the last few years. The main question is do you really need to fill the screen?

10 years ago I worked at an IMAX with a much larger screen than the you have. We never dreamed to fill the screen for private events that used video. No one ever complained because the image was still huge!

A panasonic 6300 with a 6000 lumen output, 720p image quality might be an affordable option, its published specs allow for a 600" image.

There are plenty of more expensive options like 10,000 lumen (or bigger) Christies rentable from staging companies.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-08-2011 06:52 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the 10k lumen range, my current favorite is the Christie HD10K-M. These are pretty readily available for rental now. I think I measured something like 33 fL with this on a ~25' wide superglo screen. For your size screen, you would need more like 20k lumens (depending on the screen surface), which you could get by stacking two of these, as Brad mentioned. Or you could live with a dim picture. Or get a brighter projector.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 01-09-2011 06:12 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Large staging companies usually have projectors suitable for this. Unless you are showing DCI content you don't need an actual cinema projector. The cinema models are generally available without the DCI input cards for non-cinema use and that's what staging services may have for very large screens. I don't know if there's such a projector in Charleston... in New York, L.A. or Toronto I could probably rent one with little trouble. Price is going to be pretty high of course. Stacking two smaller projectors is a good option if you can't find a single unit bright enough.

Jake Spell
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2011 02:39 AM      Profile for Jake Spell   Email Jake Spell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the input guys!! Very much appreciated, I think Ill see what the local staging companies have to offer as one is pretty large and does events all over the nation. [beer] [thumbsup]

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 01-10-2011 07:58 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And are you going to get a license for the content from Direct-TV or the cable company? Theatre screenings have been shutdown in the past for not having the license from cable and Direct-TV,etc.. In past cases the content provider stated anything over 50" needed it. Most of the times they go after locations doing sports events. And you deal with the service provider's commercial accounts department.

Jake Spell
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2011 12:27 PM      Profile for Jake Spell   Email Jake Spell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't know that would had been an issue so I will definatly look into it. Thanks!

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 01-10-2011 08:10 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Figure $7,000 to $10,000 to bring in a 3D compatible DCP, set it up an break it down after the show, this should include costs for techs to do the work, cables etc. etc.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: