Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Which Colorimeter?

Author Topic: Which Colorimeter?
Simon Taylor
Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2011 02:03 PM      Profile for Simon Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Simon Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All. We are busy here in New Zealand installing NEC series 2 projectors with Doremi servers. As part of the DCI Compliance, we are required to colour calibrate the screens. There is limited to no supply of instruments here in NZ. The contenders look to be Minolta CS-100a (looks easy to use), Photo Research PR-650(expensive) and Ultra Stereo(don't know)
Questions;
What colorimeter would you recommend and who can sell us one?
How do you keep it within calibration; against coloured plates, or do you return the unit to the manufacturer?
Cheers for now
Simon

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-03-2011 02:26 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had little to no trouble with the USL PCA-100. As for calibration, we send it back to USL annually. In fact, if you don't keep your meter calibrated, it doesn't matter how much you spend on it...if it isn't calibrated, it is just spewing numbers.

Note too, BACP is now making a filter wheel for the PCA-100 so you can have both the Dolby filters and a polarizing filter already loaded. You just turn the wheel to put which filter (or none) in front of the lens.

-Steve

Ed Mauger
Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2011 07:25 PM      Profile for Ed Mauger   Email Ed Mauger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Simon,
The PhotoResearch PR655 is very stable, reliable and the most accurate of them all (and most expensive!), but not hugely more than the others. There's a dealer in Australia - check http://www.photoresearch.com/current/contactasia.asp#lightlab

As for the Minolta CS100A, have a look at the specifications. It seems that it will not measure x,y co-ordinates below 12cd/m2 (about 3.5fL), so this would be useless for cinema projectors, particularly for low light 3D colours.
You could try the Minolta CS200 instead. This time there's a dealer in New Zealand!:
http://www.konicaminolta.com/instruments/about/network/asia.html

One problem with the CS200 might be the lack of accuracy of x,y measurements at low light levels of +/- 0.004. The DCI specs call for +/-0.002 for review rooms or +/-0.006 for theatres. Depends if you're bothered about that or not.

The other 2 are:
USL PCA100 (as in the post above), or
Jeti Specbos 1211 http://www.jeti.com/cms/index.php/instruments/radiometer/specbos-1211
[I'm pretty sure this is the correct model - but check before!!].

I know of a few people who have the Specbos and are very happy with it, and the same for the PCA100 and CS200.

Not sure what you'd do about calibration - maybe the Australian and New Zealand agents can calibrate the PR655 or CS200.

Good luck!
Ed.

Jussi Siponen
Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2011 02:16 PM      Profile for Jussi Siponen   Email Jussi Siponen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have the unit on hand, but I think we're using the Jeti Specbos 1201. At least "Calibration of cinema projectors" is listed as one of the applications.

Pros: dirt cheap (relatively speaking) [Big Grin]
Cons: reguires a computer, slow

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-05-2011 08:36 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
some people are using this meter
http://www.sencore.com/products/Optical-Tri-Stimulus-Color-Analyzer-OTC1000_182.html

Chase Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2011 08:17 PM      Profile for Chase Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Chase Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use the USL PCA-100 and love it!

I got the filter wheel from BACP also, if you are setting up Dolby 3D using a Doremi Server it is a must. I just wish I could figure out how to make it turn remotely, maybe a servo or something?

Simon Taylor
Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2011 02:05 PM      Profile for Simon Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Simon Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all for your very good advice. Will see if there are calibration services here or is Aus for any of them.
Kind regards,
Simon

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: