Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Ingesting woes

Author Topic: Ingesting woes
Chase Pickett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2010 08:45 PM      Profile for Chase Pickett   Email Chase Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My theater received a copy of "The People Vs. George Lucas" about a week ago and while it seemed to be ingesting properly, when it finally hit 100% on the ingest status, I went into the DCP to find it was incomplete. Contacted the studio, had another hard drive sent, and it is doing the exact same thing. Now we've had it ingest fine in the past (I'd say 3 months ago) to find that the audio wasn't synced up with the video. I'm assuming that something is happening on the studio side of things but I can't be too sure. Any comment's/ideas on what this may be?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-24-2010 09:21 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
George Lucas 1, People 0

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2010 10:21 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try using THE FORCE! (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-24-2010 11:01 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried not using crappy Sony equipment?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-25-2010 12:38 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Your equipment probably isn't THX certified.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-25-2010 01:06 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried to reset the SMS, then do the injest again?

Chase Pickett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2010 01:22 PM      Profile for Chase Pickett   Email Chase Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte- Yes have with the same result.

Brad- Nope. THX was deemed not important apparently.

Joe- How did I know you were going to bust my balls about using Sony's?

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2010 05:15 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Lensenmayer
Try using THE FORCE! (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

Should that not work try this wonder Spray [Smile]

-

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-25-2010 07:57 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chase Pickett
Joe- How did I know you were going to bust my balls about using Sony's?
Because you have them?

Chase Pickett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2011 10:17 PM      Profile for Chase Pickett   Email Chase Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I looked further into this little b.s hard drive to find that it is formatted to work with a mac o.s. I'm assuming that it doesn't work too well with Lenux. We have some real geniuses on our hands apparently.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-02-2011 10:29 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
it doesn't work too well with Linux
...and that is what SONY uses in their Media block .. is a Linux based server...

Wonder if the Media block and server are in sync with one another - like their clocks or something else?

Try your injest again, or you may have to get your SONY tech in there to get things back in order ...

..hope you got a 35mm backup copy...

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 01-02-2011 10:29 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting, considering that the linux kernel has a module for reading hfs and hfs+ partitions.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-02-2011 10:48 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the studio should send someone out to show you how to do your job properly. I'll have someone there tomorrow.

Anyway, the Mac OS formatting shouldn't be an issue if it can read HFS+ drives. If it can even start to ingest, then it can. If it couldn't read the drive at all due to the formatting, it couldn't find the file to ingest. It may be an issue with Sony not knowing how to handle HFS+. Not sure why they wouldn't just send it out in FAT16 or whatever ancient formatting most movies use. But I agree, the problem is likely on their end.

Chase Pickett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2011 11:24 PM      Profile for Chase Pickett   Email Chase Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
Maybe the studio should send someone out to show you how to do your job properly.
Hey now I've tried everything I could think to try, and everything you guys have posted. Maybe not so much the spray, but it did lighten my mood a bit. But they are sending someone out tomorrow morning. Honestly I'm 99% sure it's their end, and they just aren't convinced. On our sony srx220 it can start to ingest and corrupts, but on the new srx320, nothing is even recognized. I'm still really new to Digital but I am trying. Honestly this little fiasco has taught me more than I'd ever think it could have. I guess the best way to learn is by trial and error.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-03-2011 02:57 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..it's not uncommon for the Media Block to get corrupted, fail and have to be replaced.

..heard of many Media Block replacement in Sony units...

..and I bet yours have also failed, and there is nothing you can do.

quote: Chase Pickett
but on the new SRX320, nothing is even recognized.
Have you done a complete SMS shutdown - by letting the UPS completely power down the unit, then push the white button on the status tower to restart?

Let the SONY techs take care of the problem.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: