Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Dull image

Author Topic: Dull image
Venkat SIddareddy
Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2010 11:59 AM      Profile for Venkat SIddareddy   Author's Homepage   Email Venkat SIddareddy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear all,
I am facing a problem in a test projection here in India.
We are testing our media server in a theater equipped with Qube E-cinema server.
When we connect our server to the projector the image is dull. Where as Qube's server projects the image with good brightness and contrast.
What are the suggested improvements?

My video looks very good in a short throw distance.

I was thinking of changing the contrast, brightness and gamma levels in my hardware using the graphic card.

Is it a good thing to do?

Or can I change the contrast, brightness and gamma in my media player?
Or are there any suggestions in doing it in the video mastering itslef?

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks
Venkat

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-21-2010 12:11 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
First, check the settings on the projector of the channel/macro that you are using to input your media server. The problem is most probably there.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-30-2010 06:20 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Venkat - what do you mean with 'Media Server'? I think you inquired before about a soundcard - so I suggest your Media Server is more or less a plain-vanilla PC and a standard graphics card.

There are two ways to adjust the image (three, if you happen to have an additional scaler device inbetween) - on the projector side, or on the PC side.

The projector will have individual settings for each of it's inputs. You still should make sure you don't mess around with the HD-SDI/DCI color settings, you should only adjust the DVI input.

Adjusting it on the PC side is probably the easiest given common knowledge, but in the long run, you should do it on the projector side.

Usually, a qualified service technician should do these adjustments with a colormeter. If you just do it adlib, you can do a lot of things wrong.

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: