Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Dolby 3-D countdown logo

Author Topic: Dolby 3-D countdown logo
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-18-2010 04:09 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, halle-freakin-lujah, the Dolby 3-D countdown logo is finally on our screen, due to being included on the "Tangled" hard drive. I doubt if my ranting about it on here had anything to do with it, but I'm glad somebody at Dolby finally saw the light. That logo is quite cool.

Now if only the "Train" sound logo would show up sometime.....

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-18-2010 04:14 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Those logos come pre-packaged with every Dolby server and 3D system. Did your installer fail to give them to you?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-18-2010 05:12 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have the Dolby 3D, but the GDC server. The logo disk was included with the 3D system but it will apparently only load on a Dolby server. Maybe they've changed that?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-18-2010 07:21 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
They haven't, but had you asked, I could have sent you one that would have loaded.

Silly GDCs. [Roll Eyes]

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 12-18-2010 11:41 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also available as DCP:

Dolby Perspectives (Stomp)
Dolby City Redux
Dolby 7.1 (Bouncing Balls)

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-19-2010 11:29 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby is not doing a dam thing to make sure these snipes are out there. They should be included on every trailer pack that goes out along with Real-D and what ever other systems exist today. Dolby seems to have lost their "hollywood connection" for what ever reason.

As for the GDC... it runs rings around everything else out there...

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-19-2010 12:00 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
As for the GDC... it runs rings around everything else out there...
So says Mark..."today."

I feel, however, that Dolby (and the other companies of digital equipment) would be best served if they made their snipes available for download. Sure they would be big but you only need ONE copy to load it on your servers. Some already offer their snipes.

-Steve

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-19-2010 12:34 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
Sure they would be big but you only need ONE copy to load it on your servers.
They can't be THAT big -- some of the Cinetize logos are longer than the Dolby and they're easily downloadable on DSL. I suppose the issue is more that Dolby is paranoid about locations that don't use their products using their logo inappropriately.

I am still wishing for a digital copy of Cinema Concepts' "Christmas Lights" trailer. This will be the first Christmas in over 20 years that we haven't played that trailer. (Brad, you wouldn't happen to have THAT, would ya?) [Smile]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-19-2010 03:16 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
So says Mark..."today."

Yep! I look foreword to bigger and better developments from whom ever they may come. For now the GDC is somewhat like the Doremi but with many more bells and whistles.

I just checked on the GDC ftp server and the Dolby Countdown as well as the other necessary Dolby set up snipes are available for download there. I will foreword this info to Mike as I can't post it publicly here without permission from GDC. It is a sizable file in tital...

Mark

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2010 03:55 PM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From a end user standpoint I find the Dolby server much easier to use then the GDC. The Dolby Show Manager is a much better interface.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-19-2010 04:40 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to think that was important too Matt. After using just about every server out there over a time period I've concluded that the GUI is just 10% of the quotent of any server. Myself and others that use them have yet to find ANY server presently being sold that can't be completely understood in less then 5 minutes time. With Dolby if you want multiple features all loaded on each server with instant access to them (as Brad pointed out to me during a past Dolby seminar) then you simply can't use Dolby no matter what. Glossy it is... but beyond that the Dolby is pretty much a dinosaur.

Mark

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-19-2010 04:54 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Mark, you are SOOOOOOOOOOOOO outdated on your knowledge about Dolby it isn't even funny.

Don't worry about it. Its not even worth explaining to you. Keep peddling your GDCs.

Kris Verhanneman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2010 05:00 PM      Profile for Kris Verhanneman   Email Kris Verhanneman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

if somebody has some links to download dolby trailers it would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Kris

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-19-2010 06:33 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad... hardly so. Now who is flip flopping??? You told me in person and mentioned in these threads in the past that "Doremi is the best thing out there and the greatest company to work with". "They will build them any way I need them" and so on. I have installed several of the new Dolby's as well as many of the first generation Dolby servers and just about everything else under the sun except the old Qvis stuff. I see no advantage at all to Dolby excepting the 3-D system. They are not near the company they once were under Ray's leadership... hell, they can't even do something simple like make their own snipes easily downloadable for their own customers! And let us not forget... Dolby today is primarily a liscensing company first and foremost... who knows if Dolby servers and Dolby 3-D, or Dolby Digital Cinema will be around in x number of years. If that end of the company doesn't make a decent profit the b.o.d. could pull the plug. Several Dolby Employees have told me this repeatedly.

Anyways inside it's more or less the same as the GDC or Doremi and in fact the GDC and Dolby use more or less the same motherboard. In Dolby's case their server is built on a Supermicro main frame... GDC has their own case manufactured but still usees a Supermicro motherboard. Both of them present more or less the same features and functions. All the servers out there have very easy to use GUI's so thats not even something thats debatable any longer. In reality, like projectors one is probably safe with just about any of the servers out there... they are all pretty reliable. It's just in my experience the GDC still runs rings around the rest in several important aspects. I suppose if you installed some of them then you'd know.

Mark

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-19-2010 07:05 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The Doremis at one point were the best option out there, as the Dolbys were restricted with what they could do. That was over 2 years ago. Now the Dolbys are far superior to the Doremis. Yes Mark, things DO change...but they change based upon time, not the way you change your mind depending on where you are working and what your markup is. (History has shown every time you go to work for someone else, the last items you were previously praising become "junk" and the new stuff you are being told to push becomes "gold".)

And yes I did have a GDC brought in for evaluation earlier this year. The result of that was that it was decided we were not going to recommend them. The Dolby is the better product and to put it in your terms, there is far less of a chance of Dolby going out of business than GDC.

This thread is only going to end up becoming another place for Mark to go on his newfound never-ending job to sell GDC so I'm shutting it down now.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: