Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » True Grit in 4K? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: True Grit in 4K?
Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-16-2010 05:37 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So do any of you with a 4K DCinema system have a 4K version of True Grit DCP? I ran a screening of it (film) and it had a snappier than normal look to it and I've run many at this venue. Checking IMDB...it was shot Super-35 but the DI was supposed to be in 4K. Now IMDB is not definitive, for sure...but again, the print I ran had an image that looked much better than other prints off of digital in this screening room. The print was a "Select" print but not an EK (since there was a DI).

Just curious if they were putting the 4K DI (presuming that is what was done) to more use. I'm also curious what those that are running 35mm film prints think of the image quality as compared to other 35mm prints within the same theatre.

-Steve

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-16-2010 06:27 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess there are no series2 4k DLP projectors deployed so far?

That means all 4k screenings would still have to be on Sony machines. Unfortunately, in germany most Sony installs are just busy with 3D showings. We recently discussed options to watch real 4k in germany and found no dependable information. Some screens show 2D 4k DCPs occasionally, but
seems that most cinemas do not take the effort to uninstall the 3D lens just to show real 4k. There are some reports of bad 2D screenings (misconvergence) through the 3D lens, even in 2k.

- Carsten

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 12-16-2010 06:46 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be interesting to see if there are 4K DI's done for the 35mm release and how, if there is any, they compare to the 4K digi.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-17-2010 05:18 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They won't do a special 2k DI for 35mm releases for sure. So movies like Inception and Meet the Morgans, etc. will certainly share a 4k DI for DCI and 35mm.

The question is, will they create a 4k film-out as well? I just heard that Arri is now offering 4k output for Arri-Laser as a standard service.
Seems it is time for a general shift to 4k DI to DCP AND filmrecording.

Will 35mm prints become better because of a 4k film-out? I doubt it. We will probably see some very good prints again, but with the general decline of 35mm, the tendency is certainly not towards improved print quality in general.

- Carsten

Knut Erik Evensen
Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2010 06:35 AM      Profile for Knut Erik Evensen   Author's Homepage   Email Knut Erik Evensen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Inception did not use a DI, the 4K DCP was made from a scan of the interpositive. Source: studiodaily.com - Editing Inception for a Photochemical Finish

That is why Inception was screened at CineExpo 2010 in Amsterdam from a 35 mm print and that is why the 35 mm print looks better than then the DCP.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-19-2010 11:45 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As that movie used half a dozend of film and digital aquisition formats and massive CGI and VFX - what was there BEFORE that interpositive?

- Carsten

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2010 04:44 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carsten, you don't understand what a "digital intermediate" really is, and what the workflow for one entails. The digital acquired and generated material for Inception was scanned out to negative stock and cut into the shot-on-film footage, which was subsequently photochemically timed using traditional optical wedges. So while there was some digitally originated negative, there was NO D.I. process at all.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 12-19-2010 05:07 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If 4K is true, I will probably see True Grit in Ultra AVX when it opens.

John Stewart
Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2010 04:44 PM      Profile for John Stewart   Email John Stewart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

We had a local preview print of TRUE GRIT but it wasn't a select print. But, I thought it looked snappy as you say.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 12-25-2010 05:21 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hoping someone can chime in here.

Is it better to see True Grit in 4K digital or 35mm?

Chase Pickett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2010 05:51 PM      Profile for Chase Pickett   Email Chase Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't notice how clear the image was on screen. It looked just as grainy as any of our other scope live action 35mm films. I mainly compared it to The Fighter for this topic. Looked very close to me. If I would have gotten a digital copy of True Grit then I could give you a definitive answer.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 12-29-2010 05:48 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw True Grit in 2k at the Rave in Montgomery.

Horribly shallow depth of focus, as well as the usual fringing of high contrast images.

I assume Deakins can shoot a sharp movie, so it has to be the digital.

This brings up a probably stupid question: Is it possible to manually fine tune the focus on a digital projector? I'm guessing it shouldn't be necessary since the medium doesn't actually change as it does with film, but what I was looking at looked like a scope lens that needed just a slight twist.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-29-2010 07:26 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Martin McCaffery
Is it possible to manually fine tune the focus on a digital projector?
The location tech or operator can get into the projector's adjustment program, throw up a test pattern on the screen and check for focus and adjust accordingly if needed .. usually on a routine service basis, prior before showing ...

The focus knob is a thing of the past with digital units ...

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-29-2010 07:50 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
The focus knob is a thing of the past with digital units ...
I can show you thousands of Christie DCinema projectors that will prove that statement wrong.

However, it is certainly possible to have a DCinema projector be out of focus and furthermore, the lenses are NOT true zoom lenses and will very focus over their focal range. When setting up the lens, the focus should be optimized for each format. It is also possible to have and anamorphic lens for the "scope" picture that allows the projector to scale the image to fill the imager and then use that for a more light efficient image (about 23% more). As such, it is possible for the anamorphic to be out of twist or be out of focus...just like with film. Most theatres are NOT using anamorphics though. Those with side masking probably should use them but most get scared by the price.

-Steve

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-29-2010 08:24 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting . Dang me for running NEC/Barco/Sony and not Christie units for making such a statement .. my error on that one. ...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: