Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Watermarked Trailers?

Author Topic: Watermarked Trailers?
Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2010 04:16 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I saw a film today at a Cinema that isn't one of ours, and the trailer for 'The Next Three Days' looked like one of the ones you see at trade screenings, with poor resolution and a visible 'property of Lionsgate UK' watermark at the bottom. When did this start happening?

I could only think they've added it ad hoc at the request of a distributor to gauge reactions from audiences (this Cinema is one of the top three grossing sites in the UK and draws a wide crowd).

Regardless, it's not exactly great to see something that rough when as an industry we're pushing the image quality of digital to the customers. Any other views on this?

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-16-2010 06:19 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to admit that sometimes we show trailers downloaded from the internet. Some of them e.g. official Disney trailers for press purposes, are very good at FullHD resolution. Sometimes we just don't get decent quality ones... I always feel sorry when I see something like that on our screen, but sometimes we have no choice and then DVD quality is the maximum we get. We never had trailers with watermarks, though.

- Carsten

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: