Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » IMAX Linear Polarization (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: IMAX Linear Polarization
Chase Pickett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2010 12:53 PM      Profile for Chase Pickett   Email Chase Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know why the IMAX Digital systems use linear polarization rather than Circular polarization? It seems to me a better experience comes from circular rather than linear but there has to be a reason that IMAX uses linear, and I would like to know if anyone knows that reason.

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-14-2010 02:31 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cross talk is less with linear than it is with circular

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2010 02:33 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am under the impression that IMAX offers linear, circlular and shutter glasses for 3D. Its been 10 years since I touched an IMAX projector but our location had both linear polorization and shutter glasses, one could use either glasses for the same screening.
After I left I heard that they stopped using the shutter glasses probably over maintainence issues. Ie the cheif projectionist no longer wanted to climb the 8 story tall screen to ajust the transmitteror perhaps the cleaning of the very expensive glasses, changing the batteries became too much ? The cheaper thow away linear glasses did provide a notably brighter image too. Ghosting was a big issue if you tilted your head.

I was told that that location now uses circlular glasses now.

Chase Pickett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2010 04:11 PM      Profile for Chase Pickett   Email Chase Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I just haven't been to any IMAX screens which utilize shutter glasses or circular. The 6 or so that I have been to all utilized the linear which always annoyed me because keeping your head straight is a hard thing to do for 2 hours or so. I'm glad to hear they do use circular in some cases. But as Gordon put it cross talk is more noticeable with circular but I find it a better trade off.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-14-2010 05:20 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Cameron Glendinning
Ie the cheif projectionist no longer wanted to climb the 8 story tall screen to ajust the transmitteror perhaps the cleaning of the very expensive glasses, changing the batteries became too much ?
Nope.

The luvvies cleaning the glasses and re-charging the batteries decided it was not necessary to lock the battery into place (read: easier to take the battery off again to re-charge) so the batteries went missing over time as the punters could souvenir an IMAX branded battery with ease. That's when the transmitter was switched off.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-15-2010 09:58 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That they use old polarization junk from the 50'is is simply retarted anbd assinine! Tilt your head more then 2.8 degrees either way and the cross talk is worse then Circular Polarization is. In reality they do it because the glasses are uber cheap to buy. C.P. glasses actually have linear AND C.P. filters in them and cost about three times the price per unit.

Mark

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2010 10:06 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For your IMAX that is showing movies other then your standard IMAX Doc, Mark is correct. Price becomes a huge factor in what glasses/system the theatre runs. The shutter glasses get very expensive, as well as diffrent versions of the standard set. Most theatres don't have room in their budget to splurge on pricey glasses that are expensive to replace when some one wants a trinket with IMAX on it much like John said with the battery.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-16-2010 04:46 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't that what these new 3D HDTV's use to present 3D, is with linear polarization and shutter glasses that costs almost 200 bucks for the emitter and glasses to add on to the unit?

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 12-16-2010 10:43 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on brand, I saw that the 3D TV glasses range from a low of ~$90 up to ~$150.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-16-2010 06:09 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lenny Lipton has something to say about using linear vs. circular glases. It is true that LP IMAX glases are more tilt-sensitive. Yet most peole say IMAX still delivers the best 3D performance. LP vs. CP has a separation efficiency faktor of 10. So even with some head tilting, the stereo separation is better than with CP. The limiting factor, though, is still the screen. But starting at 1000:1 is still better than with 100:1
Seems that, due to the large IMAX screens, IMAX also has the largest glases of them all to allow a large viewing angle.
The necessity for head movements on large IMAX screens to follow the action maybe a bad idea for LP glases - but obviously few people seem to complain. The larger size also attributes to the price, so...

Also, at the time original IMAX 3D was deployed, Ghostbusting was beyond the scope of postproduction options.

There is a digital (non IMAX) two-projector screen in germany using IMAX glases, and thus, LP Filters. Seems to be no problem.

- Carsten

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-16-2010 08:20 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually did tests running stacked digital projectors, an audience of over 200 people, and custom CP and linear filters at Zion Canyon on their 80 foot screen. Every one found the linear glasses extremely annoying and no one saw any difference visually between CP or Linear as far as the 3-D effect itself was concerned. The most interesting observation of that test was that about 3 or 4 people could not even see a 3-d image!! I can just imagine if the rest of the world used linear filtration for Digital just 3-D how many people would be complaining.

Mark

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-17-2010 04:53 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How does that comply with the general IMAX 3D performance perception?

- Carsten

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 12-17-2010 07:21 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anything Imax is poison to Mark, so take his opinions regarding them with a few pounds of salt.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-18-2010 09:04 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guys... Tell that to the ex-Imax people that left and designed the Master Image Unit that uses CP. Also do not forget that CP filters have a linear element AND a quarter wave element in them...

@ Carston... The audience always has the final say...

Mark

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 12-18-2010 12:27 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tell them what, Mark? I know some of the ex-Imax people at master Image and to the best of my knowledge the design was set when they joined. You may know differently but I can't see how it matters.
We've never met: I respect your immense experience and knowledge of film production and presentation. For some reason you dislike Imax and criticize everything they do. Anyone reading your posts will recognize that. Chase (I think I met him in Latvia or Estonia?) has been a member here since November 2010 and may not be aware of this bias.
CP works fine but I'd like to see a filter wheel - or LC polarization switcher - that can work with linear polarization: maybe the reason CP is used with Real-D and Master Image is because of this impossibility? For dual lens 3D, LP is an option. The crosstalk increases rapidly with head tilt... but the audience naturally "gets it" and don't tilt their heads.
Working with a real IMAX 15/70 screen the light efficiency is a major issue. Even with two 15kW lamps image brightness with two LP filters in the light path to one's eye is borderline and losing more light to CP - the glasses and filter CP polarizers have an additional light loss from the 1/4 wave plate layer after the LP layer - so a few people incapable of holding their heads up is not so important. Crosstalk is undeniably less than CP with LP (when the LP polarization axes are correctly aligned).
OK, audience experience: IMAX 15/70 3D reaction, in my experience, has been "WOW!!!" and never been "I hate how the 3D goes bad when I tilt my head". The number of "Ouch I got a headache from it" responses seems the same for all polarized systems and a bit less with XPAND or Dolby 3D.
The Imax shutter glasses were introduced for Imax Dome 3D ("SOLIDO") in 1990. LP would not work in a dome where the audience will be gazing all around and subsequently tilting their heads. A silver dome screen would also be a big disaster because of cross-illumination and contrast loss (obliteration?). To use a matte screen the only solution was LC shutter glasses. The shutter glasses were originally extended to IMAX 15/70 3D to add the near-field "3D sound" system Imax/Sonics tried out, the glasses had tiny speakers in their temples. The shutter glasses are also inherently LP glasses, and the LP axis happened to be at 45 degrees from vertical. The left and right lenses are identical with one flipped to make a pair. This makes them also "normal" 45/135 LP glasses. Some flat screen Imax 3D systems (NYC Lincoln Square for one) with the LC glasses added LP filters at the projector to reduce crostalk. I don't know if this is still done.
My opinion is that dual projector systems where both eyes are projected simultaneously are a bit less brain-annoying than alternate eye projection but that the main headache inducer is the false 3D itself, the eyes and brain get upset that closer objects are unnaturally at the same focus plane as distant objects. 3D producers seem to have realized this and don't put many objects far out of the screen and present a "window" 3D with most action occurring behind the screen plane.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: