Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Cineplex Ultra AVX

Author Topic: Cineplex Ultra AVX
Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 12-14-2010 01:44 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[thumbsdown]

What a crock of [bs]

Ok, the screen was huge, sound was good, and digital projection ok. The seats were leatherette reclining/rocker that were comfy.

But here in lies the problem. The theatre is no better than the other large auditoriums in the Silver City I was at. Unlike ETX, the seat rows are not curved which makes for horrible viewing agles (the viewing angles are the most important thing in cinema build IMO)..the angled seating is one of the big reasons why I like ETX.

Its nice that there is reserved seating, but why not just offer this in all cinemas.

What they did get right was the renovation. It does feel like you are in an event while you are in there. Pre-show ads come down at you large and loud and design scheme makes you want to stay in there. Nice lighting..but you could do this to any other theatre.

Overall though, it looks like mild refresh of an older auditorium (kind of reminds me of refreshes of cars mid cycle)

FYI. Cineplex carefully and strategically renovated this dying cinema which is located 2km away from an AMC which is in middle of installing IMAX Digital. This is why comepetition is so good!

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-14-2010 02:19 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tom Petrov
Pre-show ads come down at you large and loud
Uh oh...fail. I don't appreciate having advertising shoved in my face, particularly when I pay to get in! There is no excuse for it being loud. Anything more than "casual tv volume" for preshow/commercial bs is unacceptable.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 12-14-2010 02:21 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Uh oh...fail. I don't appreciate having advertising shoved in my face, particularly when I pay to get in! There is no excuse for it being loud. Anything more than "casual tv volume" for preshow/commercial bs is unacceptable.
I agree. But a lot of people like the pre show entertainment, so from an ad revenue standpoint, it works because it forces you pay attention.

BTW, after the preshow when the show started, there were 11 corporate commercials before the standard 5 trailers.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: