Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Alternate Content Server

Author Topic: Alternate Content Server
Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-18-2010 05:39 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a location that plays a lot of DVD Blue Ray DigiBeta HDCam and the likes the DVD players don't survive all that long but are cheap the heads in the digibetas are requiring frequent replace (very expensive)
Is there any media servers that people would recomend for alternate content that would also allow insertion of house automation functions

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-18-2010 06:46 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they have DCinema...I would investigate DCP creation software and merely transfer their content to that.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2010 08:01 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ray Derrick who developed Panastereo has excelent software for P.C computers for that purpose.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-18-2010 08:05 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gordon McLeod
the heads in the digibetas are requiring frequent replace (very expensive)

Digibeta heads should last a minimum of 1000 run hours. Of course this doesn't account for searching, Fast Forword, or rewind which also puts wear on the heads. This is just another Sony BS crapo thing... they never gave one the choice of high speed winding without the tape in the thread position! They had this one figured out to keep the head factory in biz decades after the machines went out of production! If the location is charging correctly for the use of the equipment then there should be ample $$$$ to keep the machine in top shape. If not then consider another beat up machine to use as a transport and don't rewind through the tape path. Also consider a beta tape rewinder... you can sometimes find those on Ebay.

Mark

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-19-2010 08:07 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got to play with the Grass Valley "T2 iDDR" unit for about a day this spring. I am not intimately familiar with it, but I don't really recommend it based on what I have seen. It has some interesting features (e.g. can play two different programs simultaneously on two different outputs), but the UI is awkward and clunky, and the software seemed buggy (I crashed it twice; maybe it has improved since then). Also, it does not have an HD-SDI input, so you would have to find some other way of getting HD material into it. Although it has a built-in DVD drive, it does not seem to have the capability to rip a DVD to its internal storage device.

Personally, I have always been a bit nervous about playing material from anything other than an original tape, as I do not want to face the wrath of some director for any potential image or sound quality degradation. In the past, I have worked for festivals which made compilation tapes of shorts program (entire program on one tape), and there have been occasional issues with this. It is much easier to point to an origianl tape and demonstrate that the sound is clipped or that a dropout exists than to explain the whole process of encoding the material in a different format and attempt to demonstrate it did not introduce any artifacts or problems. This may be less of an issue in the digital age, but the thought still makes me nervous, especially when the video-makers are in attendance.

I like the idea of the DCP option, though. Is there some sort of device that will take an SDI input and create a DCP without losing quality?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-19-2010 08:37 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My option of a DCP is to relieve a device that would play the same thing over and over again. If these are all one-offs...then you are still playing the tape, disc...etc to transfer it.

There is some sense in making a "reel" out of a bunch of shorts to have a smooth running show but for typical one-offs...get over it and have the machines kept up. DVDs and BluRays are always going to have gotchas...they are not professional formats and can be made by most anything so there is no quality standard.

Note, "J" decks are also light duty decks...they are supposed to just be for previewing tapes. The 2000 series are the real decks...their heads don't clog as fast. There is a playback only version too (the 2600...I think). If you want to be in the business of playing this material, you have to be prepared to keep the equipment up. As Mark said, if you are charging the right price for its use, you should have no problem keeping it up.

Steve

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2010 08:44 AM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
I like the idea of the DCP option, though. Is there some sort of device that will take an SDI input and create a DCP without losing quality?
Creating a DCP will reduce the quality as each frame is recompressed, although it would only be slight.

Interlaced video would have to be converted into progressive video before/duing the conversion. This would affect the image quality.

The file sizes that would be created when making DCPs would be far larger than the source material (if using disk based sources). In busy venues this may result in hard drive space being used up quickly. The time taken to ingest the content, especially when shows are running may cause issues.

It would definitely make sense to have the DVD and Blu-ray disks content ripped to a computer hard drive and played from that. It the device could be made to operate like a D-Cinema server with a playlist that would be excellent.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-19-2010 05:34 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No this is not one off presentations but continous grind operation
This is a multiScreen Art house
The need to have house automation functions is a big issue

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2010 08:31 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Panamedia player is hooked up to my CA21. Fully automated.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: