Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » who pays for tape damage?

Author Topic: who pays for tape damage?
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-18-2010 03:00 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a new one for me:

A film festival delivered an HDCAM deck and tape to an exsiting venue for a screening. I was employed by the venue as the projectionist for the show. I don't know whether this was a four-wall deal or some other arrangement, but it doesn't really matter either way.

Anyway, the deck decided to give errors about tape slack and reel motors (E08 and E09 on a JH-3) and chew the tape (and break it in half) when it was first inserted. Tape was unplayable and unsalvageable, and a DVD copy had to be substituted. The rental house that provided the deck checked it out and said that it was fine and that the tape must have been defective (further investigation revealed that it had not been rewound properly from a previous engagement). The videomaker (who was paid for the screening rights) is now demanding that the festival replace the tape (~$800).

Is there a common protocol for this? Unlike a scratched print, a chewed videotape is completely unplayable. I've never seen this happen before, but I suppose that it must have happened somewhere. Is there any way to prove that a physical tape was defective when it arrived? It never did play for me...it simply refused to thread and it took several tries to eject it. Fortunately, it has not been suggested that either I or the venue has any responsibility for this (the festival provided both tape and deck) and this is more or less Not My Problem, but I'm curious.

|  IP: Logged

Todd McCracken
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2010 03:03 PM      Profile for Todd McCracken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they provided the deck and the tape I would say it's all on them (the festival)

Unless of course the contract says otherwise.

Jimmy Conner
Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2010 02:41 AM      Profile for Jimmy Conner   Email Jimmy Conner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A tape? How quaint... I thought everyone used HDDs, digital discs of one format or another, or solid state these days [Smile] ...

The videographer should have provided a simple (and relatively inexpensive) copy on Blu-Ray with a player. Tapes are always a problem waiting to happen.

HDCAM stock is expensive as these things go, but not anywhere near the quoted $800 (even including any transfer expenses).

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-20-2010 05:30 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
$800 for a videotape? That's ridiculous. Seriously, tape needs to go away ASAP. Hard drives are the way to go.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2010 06:59 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The festival that provded the deck should be responsible.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 11-20-2010 11:34 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tapes are still a major format in festival, Post Production / Studio and Market Research screenings. We deal with all the formats sent to us by the studio / filmmakers.
Our screening formats:
  • HD-Cam-SR
    HD-Cam
    D-5
    Digi Beta
    DVcam
    Beta-SP
    Blu-ray
    DVD
    Avid
    and other drives
Plus 35mm SRD , DTS and 6-Track Mag and Akai digital drives.
If we have an issue with a tape or media, we report the issue to the studio or filmmaker before anything else is done. So they are the ones to give the ok. And you transfer the go ahead to them if there is a problem. On rental decks you call the rental company and most of the time they will say nothing was reported to them or it checked out fine. All my decks are in-house used for Post-Production services.
The festival should have some form of insurance. But $800 for a tape, it sounds like the filmmaker want a new tape transfer.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 11-20-2010 11:40 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A filmmaker we just had here was complaining about $1000 for an HDCAM tape. Don't know if that included transfer costs, but he found it shockingly expensive.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 11-20-2010 11:55 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can get HD-Cam tape stock from many companies, here is a normal price from one company we have used.

HDCam large:
Sony HDCam Tape BCT-125 HDL for $89.99 for single tape.
HDCam SR large:
Sony HDCam-SR Tape BCT-124SRL HDCam SR for $229.38 for single tape.

The transfer and how many copies is the other cost for screening tapes. And what tape format you are transfering to.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: