Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Harry Potter 7.1 keys unlock 30 minutes before the first show?

Author Topic: Harry Potter 7.1 keys unlock 30 minutes before the first show?
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-15-2010 01:40 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our Harry Potter 7.1 keys unlock 30 minutes before the first show Wednesday night.

Security, right? OK. I can sort of get that. They want to make sure they keep a hold on it so cinemas can't possibly get a recording of it or see it too early. Makes checking it all works almost impossible though and even if it doesn't work at that point there's not much that can be done about it. Still...security blah blah blah...

Why then do I have a complete 35mm print here that's built and ready to screen right now ...42 hours before my digital key unlocks.

This late key thing is ridiculous and makes it impossible to do my job correctly.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-15-2010 02:03 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's digital, it will work perfectly, it cannot fail. Now be quiet and get back in your corner!

Oh, when you pirate the movie, just use the film version. [Razz]

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 11-15-2010 02:13 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someday everyone will have the same problem with their digital copy and the first shows will be screwed up all over the globe. How much fun would that be? [Smile]

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-15-2010 02:15 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That already happened in Germany, Mark...with AVATAR. OK, so it wasn't global, but...

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2010 07:28 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're showing HP7 on Wednesday? Lucky you, we're not even getting midnight showings and it opens on a normal Friday.

The KDMs are time-sensitive, so why not send one for a rehearsal of the film at a pre-determined time for each territory, and then one for the actual release? No-one wants to go to screen on such a big title without running the print/copy through.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-15-2010 07:35 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Megamind came with two keys - one for a one-reel test run, that became available Wednesday or Thursday, and the other for the whole movie that opened on Friday. I wouldn't be surprised to see that becoming the standard practice.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-16-2010 06:41 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm betting it's like Megamind with some sort of test reel. This wold only be good to make sure the filum looks and sounds good. Of course that still doesn't guarantee you that the actual feature KDM is going to work properly... Fortuinately the studios have the KDM thingy pretty well nailed down now. New installs may be the ones to suffer.

Mark

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 11-16-2010 06:50 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why they can't put those two things in the same key is beyond me. It's a shame I don't work for those people - There are much better ways to do what they're trying to do. Oh well.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-17-2010 11:23 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We just got our keys. They unlock at 10:00 PM, so we can at least do a test before we have to start selling tickets.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 11-17-2010 02:31 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So much for the so-called "security" of D-Cinema: just found this news item about how the first 36 minutes of the movie is already on the 'net:
LINK

quote:
Movie bosses to prosecute 'Harry Potter' pirates
Nov. 17, 2010, 9:27 AM EST
Photos: 'Deathly Hallows'
Bing: 'Deathly Hallows' clips

WENN

Executives at the Warner Bros. film studio are planning to prosecute any Internet user caught pirating the new "Harry Potter" movie online, after scenes from the blockbuster leaked early.

The first part of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" hits the big screen on Friday, but earlier this week, the first 36 minutes of the blockbuster were discovered on several download sites.

Related: More on the 'Deathly Hallows'

Bosses at the movie studio are fuming over the leak, and have vowed to take legal action against "those involved."

A statement from Warner Bros. chiefs reads, "A portion of 'Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows: Part One' was stolen and illegally posted on the Internet. This constitutes a serious breach of copyright violation and theft of Warner Bros. property.

More: Get up to date with a 'Potter' Primer

"We are working actively to restrict and/or remove copies that may be available. Also, we are vigorously investigating this matter and will prosecute those involved to the full extent of the law."

The second part of the wizard tale, starring Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson, is due to be released next July.

Makes me wonder if this movie was originated, post-produced and distributed EXCLUSIVELY on film if this kind of thing would still be happening?

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 11-17-2010 02:39 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
aww tony -- don't be so gullible!

isn't if more fun if it's all marketing BS?

consider the possibility:

1. those scenes were planted to work the fans into a rich lather

2. the "piracy" angle gets the upcoming release into the mainstream news (free advertising); while also letting the fans know that there's 30+ minutes for them to preview (more free advertising)

i rest my case!

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 11-17-2010 02:57 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL, a distinct possibility..but I'll bet the MPAA would have a cow over it. [Smile]

I guess the REAL test will be to see how soon (or if) the "pirated" material is taken down.

Check your emails Manny..I sent you a message Sunday.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-17-2010 04:03 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Update: Our key unlocks at 10:00 A.M. so plenty of time for a test run, if necessary.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-17-2010 06:48 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, found that out since we wanted to screen it tonight for checkup since I've already injested our copy .. saw that on the cover letter of the unlock time being 10am on the 18th...

oh well, no rest for the wicked...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: