Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » DIgital Projector Cleaning: How to?

Author Topic: DIgital Projector Cleaning: How to?
Andy Linde
Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2010 04:38 PM      Profile for Andy Linde   Author's Homepage   Email Andy Linde   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WE have a pretty stringent cleaning schedule for our 35mm projectors, but have nothing as detailed in place yet for out digital projectors.

I'd like to know from you, what you all do to clean your digital projectors. WHat with, how often, etc etc

Really starting from sctarch here. I want to build a weekly/monthly cleaning schedule for them so any input is helpful thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Mike Moreno
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2010 07:36 PM      Profile for Mike Moreno   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Moreno   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
as far as i know you just are able to clean duts, and depending of the projector check the air filters, liquid coolant and check some conecctions because inside of the circuit boards, DLP´s and stuff like that suposte to be seal and just certificate tech can check.
and is the same for servers.

mike moreno

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2010 11:44 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would definitely open the servers up every 6 months to vacuum (or blow them out outside) them out if and only if you are familiar with working with computers and have proper authorization (and keys) from upper management to do so.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2010 04:50 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hit it with a water hose. (Just kidding, don't try this at home.) [Big Grin]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-01-2010 06:27 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cleaning the equipment is a very important thing but requires the proper knowledge to do so. Keeping it clean will extend it's life span dramatically. Any theater that does not have it's popper exhausted outside should not even consider installing digital gear until they have done such. There is nothing worse than a grease laden Christie ZX or CP-2000 lamphouse assembly... I have seen it happen and cleaning it is uber time consumming requiring major disassembly.

Untill you can receive proper training you can at least keep the air intakes clean and clear in all equipment, racks and consoles. Replace or clean air filters at reccomended intervals.

First off... be careful opening up any projector or server. ALL of them have tamper switches and you may require a pass code to reset the unit after you remove those covers... Automatically assume that's something you will not be able to get on a Friday or Saturday evening!! Either way you will get indication in the unit's log that the covers were tampered opened. Both NEC and BARCO require reset codes. A first generation Dolby Show Player for instance will more than likely shut it self off permanently! You may have to order a replacement from Dolby to get going again. Ditto if one of it's internal fans fails [Eek!] .

Secondly... If you use any vaccum inside any of this equipment it needs to be one that is certified static proof. They make special vaccums for cleaning out computer main frames... you need the same exact thing because you are working on very similar equipment! Expect to pay upwards of $500.00 for one that is decent.

Lastly... Be sure you do not void your warranty by going inside a unit. Do not forget that your going inside will be logged and there is no way to delete that from the log [Big Grin] !!

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: