Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » AMC ETX Digital Review (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: AMC ETX Digital Review
Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 10-19-2010 12:20 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got the opportunity to watch an exclusive engagement showing of "Hereafter" in AMC ETX Experience....

AMC advertises their new concept as follows

"AMC Yonge & Dundas exclusively offers the Enhanced Theatre Experience for all performances in Auditorium #7. ETX features a 20% larger floor-to-ceiling screen, 11-channel surround sound with 57,000 watts of power, and 8.8 million pixels providing 4X the resolution of HD"

Digital is cleary where movies and the exhibition is going. IMHO, after my viewing today, Digital is superior to the film experience. Now, don't get me wrong, I used to be projectionist for a long, long time. I built films, broke them down, changed bulbs, did this, did that. Film is done.

The most intersting thing about my experience was how perfect the showing was. No scratches, no dirt, perfect focus...no splice changes (although I kind of missed them).

As for the sound, WOW it was loud in there.

Also, I must point, the stadium seating at this AMC was curved rows. There were two obstructed seats in the theater and they you can't see part of the screen when watching flat.

Few things to point out:

-the screen was 55 feet wide
-I had no issues whatsoever without real masking. It was like letterboxed on a 16x9 tv....was kind of different at first, but I got used to it.
-Very, very loud.
-Surround speakers were staggered.
-Outstanding, perfect image (and not film-like, more like HDTV.

While watching the credits, I did pay some respect to the fact the movie was shot in PANAVISION with PANAVISION Lenses.....one day we won't be seeing that.

It is nice to know that there is both film and digital options.

For the most part, I knew I wasn't watching film, but I didn't really care as my experience was absolutely perfect.

Ticket price was $15.50

|  IP: Logged

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2010 04:03 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tom Petrov
8.8 million pixels providing 4X the resolution of HD
whatever. that's only twice the resolution of hd.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-19-2010 04:16 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ETX features a 20% larger floor-to-ceiling screen
20% larger than what? The smallest screen in the complex?

the screen was 55 feet wide
LOL, that's really not very big.

11-channel surround sound
ROTFL. [Roll Eyes] Do studios mix special versions of all of their movies with 4 to 6 extra channels just for this auditorium?

Digital is cleary where movies and the exhibition is going. IMHO, after my viewing today, Digital is superior to the film experience. Now, don't get me wrong, I used to be projectionist for a long, long time. I built films, broke them down, changed bulbs, did this, did that. Film is done.

The most intersting thing about my experience was how perfect the showing was. No scratches, no dirt, perfect focus

It sounds like you were a shitty projectionist. No scratches or dirt? In focus? Is that supposed to be amazing?

As for the sound, WOW it was loud in there.

Volume ≠ quality. Even a shitty car stereo can be WOW loud, but it will still sound like shit.

Ticket price was $15.50
Ouch. I hope that came with a nice vat of anal lube, because from the sounds of it, it would definitely come in handy!

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 10-19-2010 10:23 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with this guys review. The sound is like being at a rock concert.

ETX review

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2010 11:26 AM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oops nevermind, got my answer from the link up above.... sorry

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-19-2010 12:07 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this "ETX" thing just a better-than-average implementation of off-the-shelf equipment, or is something proprietary being done with the image and/or sound to justify the surcharge?

As I posted in the thread about the Regal something-X concept, I really take issue with the idea that customers should have to pay a surcharge for top quality projection and sound. Isn't this something that all theatres should be providing to all customers at the normal ticket price?

As far as I know, in the history of exhibition, there was never a surcharge for talking pictures. There was never a surcharge for 70mm (outside of roadshow engagements). There was never a surcharge for 3D (until this decade). There was never a surcharge for magnetic stereo, Dolby Stereo, or digital sound. Exhibitors put in these things because customers demanded them and because customers would choose to patronize theatres based upon presentation quality.

Why is it that now this industry (which regularly congratulates itself on being the lowest-cost form of out-of-home entertainment) feels the need to nickel-and-dime consumers for everything, including picture and sound quality? [Mad]

At least digital Imax can sort of justify its existence based upon some proprietary image processing and its sound system (and, presumably, some level of standards and oversight for its installation and maintenance). Unless AMC is doing this, I fail to see how a surcharge can be justified.

Also, I don't get the "loud" thing. There are standards for cinema sound systems. Playing the soundtrack at a higher-than-normal level without some good reason to do so (e.g. sold-out house) violates those standards. I wonder what sound mixers think of this idea.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-19-2010 01:46 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
8.8 million pixels providing 4X the resolution of HD
Considering the vast majority of Hollywood features these days produce a 2000 digital intermediate as the finished product in post production (and very few spend the extra $$$ for a 4K rendering) this whole 8.8 million pixels thing sounds like a giant load of horse shit.

Digital projection will never be better in native resolution than the source material being shown.

Same thing goes for the audio as well. 11 discrete channels? Bullshit. It's just 5.1 audio piped through twice as many amplifiers. Blah.

The sound is like being at a rock concert.
Far more often that not, concerts typically have terrible audio quality. You're there to see the band perform live. Great quality sound is not a selling point.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 10-19-2010 02:01 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
Far more often that not, concerts typically have terrible audio quality. You're there to see the band perform live. Great quality sound is not a selling point.

It depends on the venue and crowed. All sound-checks are done in an empty venue. The band is looking for that particular sound that they feel is right to them. It is up to the sound engineer to try his or her best to maintain it during the performance.

As for movie theaters sounding like a rock concert is not always the best situation unless you are playing a concert movie or something. They are just asking for people to come out and bitch about how loud the movie is.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-19-2010 02:12 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been to a lot of rock concerts. They've had varying levels of loudness. The best sounding rock concerts I've heard have had nothing near the audio quality of a film done right movie theater.

If "rock concert audio quality" is a AMC ETX selling point those guys better get rid of it fast.

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2010 06:36 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AMC ETX = [sleep]

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 10-19-2010 07:12 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When a theater offers a premium experience, be it Cinemarks XD, Regal's RPX, or AMC's ETX, Isn't it just a way of saying that the other auditoriums are not that good?

It seems to me that a smart multiplex owner would ensure all screens have correct EQ and correctly lit screens.

We should strive to make EVERY SCREEN a premium experience.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 10-19-2010 10:08 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Several years ago AMC ended up with all four of the THX auditoriums in the Philly market through acquisitions... THX auditoriums that when tuned and played properly to THX's specs kicked all kinds of ass. Then they let the THX cert expire and re-tuned the auditoriums to their standards. Now they sound... ok.

So they do that, and then they try to come up with a new and exciting presentation standard. Sometimes I just don't get it. And this in no way is a reflection of the engineers in Philly. I know some of them personally and they're good guys. It's the decisions made on high that I don't get.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 10-19-2010 10:22 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
Is this "ETX" thing just a better-than-average implementation of off-the-shelf equipment, or is something proprietary being done with the image and/or sound to justify the surcharge?
For the ETX. I walked into a few of the other theatres, they are constructed like theatre #7 and #8. This was the best stadium seating movie theate I have even been in. I even have a threat showing my disgust for stadium seating in another forum.

Every single row was curved.
Each seat was pointed directly at the middle of the screen
The screen was 55 feet
The picture was crystal clear and razor sharp
The surrounds were staggered
The rise was in between a sloped theatre and a stadium seating theatre.

The sound was outstanding, it was like I was at an event. It was very loud.

I was actually seated in the lower bowl about 8 rows from the screen, was just perfect.

The ETX is not for everyone, but for the first time in a long while, I was entertained.

quote: Scott Norwood
As far as I know, in the history of exhibition, there was never a surcharge for talking pictures. There was never a surcharge for 70mm (outside of roadshow engagements). There was never a surcharge for 3D (until this decade). There was never a surcharge for magnetic stereo, Dolby Stereo, or digital sound. Exhibitors put in these things because customers demanded them and because customers would choose to patronize theatres based upon presentation quality.

The times have changed, IMO this was a whole new way of watching a movie based on the screen and the sound. I mean 57,000 watts of power?

quote:

) feels the need to nickel-and-dime consumers for everything, including picture and sound quality? [Mad]

For the record, and here it is. I paid for one person.

-$7.25 for the train ride there
-$15.50 for the ticket
-$17.80 for lg pop, lg popcorn, MandM peanuts
-$7.25 for the train ride home.

Money well spent as everything was perfect. Would I do it again? Hell yes.

It also helped that the movies was good.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-19-2010 10:38 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Olpin
When a theater offers a premium experience, be it Cinemarks XD, Regal's RPX, or AMC's ETX, Isn't it just a way of saying that the other auditoriums are not that good?
Exactly.

Instead of delivering proper quality projection and sound for the standard ticket price the suckers, oh I mean customers, are expected to pay a premium.

Damn. In this down economy I guess it must be nice to be able to charge a luxury tax for a job done satisfactorily. I wish I could earn my standard pay for just getting out of bed and then make twice as much for showing up to work. I guess I picked the wrong freaking profession!

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 10-19-2010 10:45 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
Instead of delivering proper quality projection and sound for the standard ticket price the suckers, oh I mean customers, are expected to pay a premium.
Not sure I agree with this, I walked into another theatre that was playing "Hereafter" that was not ETX, it looked very much like standard 35mm. These theatres were fine and looked good, they also sounded good. But once inside the ETX theatre, it was something different, this is where the big events films will be played.

As for IMAX 3D someone mentioned earlier. Theatre 7 and 8 are identical with the same size screens, one was playing ETX while the older was IMAX of Avatar

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: