Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » DVD/BluRay Players that will work with a Christie CP2000/2000S

Author Topic: DVD/BluRay Players that will work with a Christie CP2000/2000S
Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 10-17-2010 01:35 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there anyone running a DVD or BluRay player on their Christies WITHOUT a scaler? What make and model player are you using, and how do they perform with burned DVDs and BR? Are they readily available? I need this info ASAP for a festival screening this Tuesday and a full on festival this coming weekend.

I currently am using an OPPO DVD player with DVI out that does not want to read half the discs stuck in it that have been tested time and time again on other players (that the owners refuse to loan us) and play fine on those.

This is urgent, and I hope you can assist.

Thanks

-Aaron

|  IP: Logged

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 10-17-2010 02:22 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron. sorry I can't offer up a solution but as a veteran of countless film festivals and special screenings one thing in your post stood out:

quote:
I currently am using an OPPO DVD player with DVI out that does not want to read half the discs stuck in it that have been tested time and time again on other players (that the owners refuse to loan us) and play fine on those.

The bold part pegged my bullshit meter!

If these discs allegedly played fine on another player and they REFUSE to loan said player to you means they are LYING their asses off!!

The Oppo is a very good player with a track record of handling marginal discs fairly well.

A good test for you would be to bring in your own player and monitor to test discs with beforehand. Or pick one up for the festival, they are cheap enough now.

BTW the most common reason why a filmmaker's DVD or blu-ray won't play is because it was never "finalized." (A step done after the dvd/blu-ray is burned, I have no idea what it does but I can tell you it won't play without that step in conventional players, but it WILL usually play in a computer drive.)

Aaron Sisemore

- posted 10-17-2010 03:07 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have test-played several of the discs in question on the Oppo - Either they refuse to detect when loaded, or they will load and play between 18 and 30 minutes before they begin going apeshit, skipping, pausing, etc until they just outright stop. The festival's preshow DVD plays flawlessly, for some reason, as does all the content I screen for a weekly seminar. I really don't want to believe it is the player's fault

The person that play-tested these discs on 'their' player is a respected F-T member (I will not name him in public). When asked about borrowing the player, I just received no answer, not necessarily a direct refusal, but the festival reps have told me that they will not loan the player to the festival for use at my venue (or me, presumably).

Any other ideas?

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 10-17-2010 05:57 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, there's some vital info there. How old is your OPPO player? Will it play a "commercial" dvd all the way through? Is there any pattern to the type of discs it pukes on? What is the running time of your regular content that plays o.k., is any of it longer than say 30 minutes?

It is possible that your player has a weak laser or other problem.

Suggest you buy or rent another player asap for your festival.

quote: Aaron Sisemore
....but the festival reps have told me that they will not loan the player to the festival for use at my venue (or me, presumably).

That baffles me a lot, as it would be in their best interests to loan you their player if it indeed does play the discs flawlessly. Their attitude frankly sucks. Why would they NOT want to ensure flawless screenings?

Again, respected F-T member or not, there is something fishy going on here.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-17-2010 06:20 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would see if the Oppo player has a firmware update available.

Various issues, such as the BD copy protection scheme, require many Blu-ray players to receive periodic firmware updates. If the firmware updates are not applied some discs may not play well or not even load at all.

Of course, the PS3 makes it pretty easy to apply firmware updates. Others standalone players vary on their ease of downloading and applying updates.

Aaron Sisemore

- posted 10-18-2010 02:56 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tony Bandiera Jr
How old is your OPPO player?
Approximately three years old. It (and three more of the same model) were purchased for the chain from Ebay, per a recommendation from someone at Christie.

Will it play a "commercial" dvd all the way through?
One of the weekly seminar discs is 'commercially' made (not a DVD-R) and it does play through fine, I believe it is about a hour long. I have not had the time to try playing a DVD from home on it.

Is there any pattern to the type of discs it pukes on?
With the exception of the JFS preshow DVD-R, the only pattern I see is that all of the discs that have exhibited this trouble are those used for the Jewish Film Series. All of the discs are DVD-R. All have played at the series' other venue with no problem whatsoever.

Another odd thing: Last year we had the exact same problem with only the JFS DVDs, and to my knowledge we ran the entire Petaluma International Film Festival (also mostly DVD-R discs) through the same player with zero incidents.

What is the running time of your regular content that plays o.k., is any of it longer than say 30 minutes?
See above; the seminar DVD runs about 60 min. The JFS preshow is 76 min.

It is possible that your player has a weak laser or other problem.

Suggest you buy or rent another player asap for your festival.

I am looking into that, the chain does have three more of the identical Oppo player that I have now, some with less hours on them than the one here. - Also the JFS is procuring their own player, as soon as it arrives we will be testing to see if it works on the projector.

quote: Bobby Henderson
I would see if the Oppo player has a firmware update available.
I will check on that tomorrow when i get the model # of the player.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: