Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » audio connection betwen a Dolby DSP100 and a CP650

Author Topic: audio connection betwen a Dolby DSP100 and a CP650
Mike Moreno
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2010 07:06 PM      Profile for Mike Moreno   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Moreno   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi, im trying to make the cable for the DB25 AES out from a Dolby DSP100 and send the audio to the option card I/O connector from a CP650 that have Cat No. 790
somone have the pin out and in to make it?

thanks
mike moreno

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-15-2010 07:27 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah...STOP!!!!!!

They are not the same pinout nor the same signal. The CP650 with the CAT 790 card uses an unbalanced AES3-id signal at 75-Ohms.

You want to use the BNC outputs of the DSP100 and then use the pinout listed in the CP650 manual. I suggest using mini-coax cable and note, all of the shields are going to tie to one pin (7 as I recall...but check that).

If you want to use AES3 cable and the DB25 on the DSP100...you will need to use transformers on the CP650 input. I suggest looking at the Board from Odyssey Products...it will give you the exact same pinout you need for the DSP100 as well as have the necessary transformers and attenuation. The cost is similar to the transformers alone (as in-line cable mounts).

Steve

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 10-15-2010 09:39 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you upgrading to 7.1 audio?

There is a Dolby paper that describes what you need to do.

The audio board Steve mentioned is 650 Optio AES.

Mike Moreno
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2010 12:16 PM      Profile for Mike Moreno   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Moreno   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, i´ll better whait for the audio converter,i dont wanna cause a problem in the Dolby´s.

thanks steve and sam.

mike moreno
mexico

Mike Moreno
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2010 05:37 PM      Profile for Mike Moreno   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Moreno   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i still waiting for the audio converter [Confused]

so, Steve, you recomend the micro coaxial to send audio direct to the external analog imput from the cp650 or it goesto the option card I/O?

thanks
mike moreno

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 10-21-2010 12:04 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is the I/O port that needs to be connected.
The Odyssey 650 Optio AES card fits on the I/O makes it a lot more simple to wire. It also has transformers so you can use the balanced out from the server.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-21-2010 10:35 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm saying that you CAN use a simple 4-wire mini-coax (75-Ohm cable) to make a direct connection between the BNC outputs of the DSP100 and the Option I/O of the CP650 with a Cat 790. You ability to make the cable may be another issue.

Note too, Odyssey also makes a board for the CP650 that brings the AES3-id inputs out to BNC connectors so one could use a 3-5 wire BNC/BNC premade cable too.

I tend to agree with Sam on using the AES3 (balanced) audio as that seems to be the winning trend at the moment. If you were to want Surround 7.1, for instance, you would need to use the DB25 output of the DSP100 for channels 1-6 and then use one of the BNC outputs for channels 11/12 (Lb, Rb).

Steve

Mike Moreno
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2010 04:56 PM      Profile for Mike Moreno   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Moreno   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok i got it [beer]

the connections in the cp650 option card I/O are:
SP/DIF 1/2 + ------ Pin 1
SP/DIF 3/4 + ------ Pin 2.
SP/DIF 5/6 + ------ Pin 13.
SP/DIF 7/8 + ------ Pin 21.
and all negtives to pin 7.
is that correct?

mike moreno
mexico

Carlos Camargo
Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2010 08:11 PM      Profile for Carlos Camargo   Author's Homepage   Email Carlos Camargo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike Moreno

The cable worked?

Carlos Camargo
Brazil

Mike Moreno
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2010 10:52 PM      Profile for Mike Moreno   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Moreno   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes carlos,
it was dificult to find the minicoaxial here in my city.
but it works.

mike moreno

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: