Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » AMC's ETX system question (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: AMC's ETX system question
Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2010 09:36 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is AMC's ETX system comprised of Sony's Digital projection system or is it something else?

for the record:

AMC also offers ETX at AMC Empire 25 (New York City); AMC BarryWoods 24 (Kansas City, MO); AMC Pleasure Island 24 (Orlando, FL); AMC Burbank 16 and AMC Century City 15 (Los Angeles); AMC Northpark 15 (Dallas); AMC Metreon 16 (San Francisco); AMC Forum 22 (Montreal) and AMC Yonge & Dundas 24 (Toronto). Another ETX auditorium is scheduled to open soon at AMC Aventura 24 (Ft. Lauderdale, FL).

|  IP: Logged

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 10-26-2010 01:06 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the ETX projectors are in fact SONY

Pretty damn good presentation.

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2010 05:20 PM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't find any resource to back up the assertion that ETX is using Sony 4K units. The only reference I can find that leans toward that fact is the mention on the AMC web site, describing ETX:

quote:
ETX Includes 20% larger floor-to-ceiling screen, breathtaking sound and digital projection that is higher resolution than HD.
http://www.amctheatres.com/Empire/

Click on the ETX logo on the left-hand side of the page for the above description.

None of the ETX theaters are saying anything about 4K in the same breath as ETX in their showtime notes, as well. Maybe they're assuming that the two go together, but audiences wouldn't have any reason to automatically connect the two.

The main ETX page says very little. Considering how much they are upcharging for shows in the ETX screens, they could put more than 5 minutes into publicizing it...

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 10-26-2010 06:21 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Jentsch
None of the ETX theaters are saying anything about 4K in the same breath as ETX in their showtime notes, as well. Maybe they're assuming that the two go together, but audiences wouldn't have any reason to automatically connect the two.

I believe all the cinemas at Yonge Dundas 24 in Toronto are 4K SONY Machines.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-26-2010 09:00 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yet, isn't all digital info on the HD still in 2K form? Like watching a lesser resolution video on a 1080p TV ...?

Granted, with SONY using a higher resolution chip when doing 3D so you don't have the classic "triple flash" as with the other units where each eye has it's own dedicated information, but shove a 2D playback through a SONY and it's no better than a BARCO, Christie or NEC...

Sounds like AMC is copying REG's process .. "Whoopie! Let the race begin!"

-Monte

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2010 10:45 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if the Sony is worse than 2k dlp as i have yet to see it theatrically but the home theater HD versions look softer than most 1080 dlp projectors i have compared.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-27-2010 12:46 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Visually, I can't tell the difference between the SONY 2K and the DLP 2k presentations...in the 3D form.

But, what helps a lot is when the throw is long so the light is more concentrated, then you got a great picture.

Short throws and big screens really disperses the light quite a bit.

Manny Montes
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2010 08:20 PM      Profile for Manny Montes   Email Manny Montes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think i'm going to check out an ETX show at the aventura AMC, if I can peek in the booth i'll let you know what they're running

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2011 08:40 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
do all the ETX screen feature/playback 7.1 films? (like the Cinemark XD, Regal RPX setups)

I see that AMC is installing an ETX system over at Tysons Corner beginning on the 18th of March.

Eric Rice
Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2011 11:22 PM      Profile for Eric Rice   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Rice   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched Unstoppable in the ETX auditorium at the Pleasure Island 24 in Downtown Disney back in November. They'd converted an auditorium with a balcony with the booth underneath it with a very large port window, could see everything in the booth from the back row. They were running a Christie 2k, the rest of the complex had Sony 4ks.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2011 01:25 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well now I'm really confused I thought ETX systems were comprised of Sony units, but with your comment it sounds like AMC is switching between Sony and Christie projector's depending on the size of the screen. AMC installed a Christie DLP system on the Uptown screen since it outputs a greater amount of light needed for such a large screen - not that AMC needs to be wedded to Sony, but I'm glad they are branching out and using the suitable technology - I'd think though if Christie is the alternative, I'd hope they are 4K DLP upgradeable since the Solaria systems are now available.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-03-2011 01:46 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This situation with digital projection and large screens is so goofy and stupid.

The native 4K projectors have resolution levels more acceptable (but still not great) for giant screen use if the movie file is native 4K in resolution; very few are. But they throw an image that's just too dim.

Some 2K projector models can throw a somewhat adequately bright image onto a giant sized screen; they can do better still in brightness when dual 2K projectors are used. But the imagery is still just 2K and just too fuzzy or pixel-jaggy to work well.

35mm doesn't really work so great on giant sized screens.

To this day, the only format that works on great big screens:
70MM FILM PROJECTION.

Chase Pickett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2011 04:17 PM      Profile for Chase Pickett   Email Chase Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An ETX install is being completed today at my theater here in Colorado. Unlike the rest of the digital houses here, it is a Christie 2k (3200 it the model I believe) with a 4k upgrade. The sound system is 12.1 too. Not that we would really ever need it, but we do have the capability now. Hope this helps.

ALSO: AMC seems to be going with Christie now for the larger auditoriums. The sony 4Ks just can't provide enough light for screens bigger than 80 feet wide.

EDIT: 11.1 surround sound. Not 12.1 [uhoh]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-03-2011 10:54 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the system has "11.1" channels of amplification, but that in no way makes it deliver 11.1 channel sound.

The native channel layout of the movie soundtrack is what really determines the channel layout. Nearly all are just 5.1. It doesn't matter how many amps and speakers are thrown at it it's still only 5.1.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 03-03-2011 11:10 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Filmjournal.com is reporting that ETX is five stage/screen channels, six surround, two low-frequency.

filmjournal

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: