Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Will 4K be the next 70mm? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  14  15  16 

Author Topic: Will 4K be the next 70mm?
Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2010 01:43 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont like being nostalgic. I only had the pleasure of watching only a couple of 70mm presentations and that is something really woth watching. Do you think that 4K will be the equivalent of 70mm ? Me I hope not for I would love to see the 70mm rising up again although I doubt it will happen and many will say that I should keep dreaming.
Demetris

|  IP: Logged

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2010 05:39 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen 4K and I've seen 8K presentations. Good stuff. Honest! But the technology is only as strong as the skills of the people who use it. That said, the last big movie to be shot in 65mm was, what? Far and Away? The D.P. was one of the hot-shots of Hollywood at the time but he couldn't nail the skill set for 70mm. The chances of a lot of guys successfully shooting with 65mm today are far lower than the chances of a lot of guys doing great stuff with 4K or 8K.

Besides, I happen to like deep focus (which seems to be the opposite of how film die-hards feel). Super Panavision always had a problem with deep focus unless you over-lit the movie. And there was an awful lot of unnatural-looking lighting in the 1960s anyway.

On another note, I wonder what percentage of us at Film-Tech have actually worked with 70mm prints. It's not horrible, for sure, but it's still not as easy as 35mm. And there's no such thing as a "minor" breakdown with 70mm. As much as I enjoyed the showmanship opportunity I was glad that only one of our six systems was 70mm.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-17-2010 06:59 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've worked with A LOT of 70mm film and equipment...I never considered it any harder than 35mm...just fatter.

No, 4K is not the equivalent of 70mm. 4K is the equivalent of 35mm 1.85:1 in resolution (give or take). Where as 70mm's frame is over twice the width of 35mm's and about double 1.85's height..it will take more than 8K to capture 65/70mm 5-perf and three times that for IMAX.

I think at 4K, you are at least not asking people to take a step back for digital (perhaps on contrast ratio and color space on EK prints but not on release prints). The exception being CinemaScope...which if shot anamorphically is closer to 5-6K in resolution.

I wouldn't call digital deep-focus...yes the pixels are sharp but the depth of image is compressed. I'm hoping that as pixel count goes up, the depth of the image increases (without the stupid glasses and trickery).

I've yet to see, personally, anything digital that compares favorably to 70mm (unless you got a bad 70mm print).

Steve

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-19-2010 10:08 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always thought that 70mm failed because of expense, not difficulty or quality.

And 70mm is cheaper than digital. Louis

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 09-19-2010 10:22 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But "digital" as a marketing buzzword packs more of a punch.

And, Louis, do you mean cheaper to shoot 65mm or to distribute 70mm?

Either way, I'm not so sure it's cheaper than digital...

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2010 12:00 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
No, 4K is not the equivalent of 70mm. 4K is the equivalent of 35mm 1.85:1 in resolution (give or take). Where as 70mm's frame is over twice the width of 35mm's and about double 1.85's height..it will take more than 8K to capture 65/70mm 5-perf and three times that for IMAX.
You are absolutely correct that 70mm film (and 35mm anamorphic) has higher resolving power than 4K digital. However, not all that resolving power makes it to the screen in a release print. Also, depending on how far back you are sitting, your eye can only resolve so much anyway.

For anybody sitting more than 1.6 screen heights back, they won't be able to see anything more than 4k resolution anyway. I think once you hit 4k resolution, color reproduction, contrast and dynamic range become far more important. If a 4k projection system can produce these measures as well as film can (at least release print quality film) then 4k digital will for all intents and purposes look just as good to the vast majority of the audience as 70mm. Additionally there is the benefit of not having to worry about dirt and scratches (irrelevant for film done right) and there is abosolutely no jump or weave which helps with percieved resolution.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 09-19-2010 12:28 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Greg Anderson
I wonder what percentage of us at Film-Tech have actually worked with 70mm prints.
It's been over 25 years, but when I was a relief projectionist with 224 in DC I worked plenty of 70mm on many different machines (Bauer U2,Century JJ, Phillips AA) never found them particularly difficult. The muscle memory in the fingers could take awhile to catchup. I remember one day I had to do a 35mm show at one theatre, a 16mm at another and 70mm at a third (it was a long day).

The real reason 70mm died is no one wanted to carry those cans upstairs.

Manny Knowles

- posted 09-19-2010 12:35 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that, from the studio standpoint, the only real reason 70mm remained an option was because of its sound capability.

The studios abandoned the 65mm taking format long before they ditched the 70mm projection format. Honestly, most of the 70mm screenings I have seen are of 35mm blowups. And, boy, is it obvious!

But some of those soundtracks sound like they could've been mixed last week!

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 09-19-2010 01:01 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Manny, a good 70mm mix is far superior to ANY digital soundtrack in use today.

A big problem is today's directors and sound mixers are too fixated on the "more is better" school, piling on so much crap the soundtracks essentially never shut up.

Listen to any of the films prior to say 1990 and you'll notice the restraint used in the tracks which makes them compliment, rather than override, the visuals.

As for 70mm, one of the main factors killing it, according to those from the studios I spoke with, the cost of the prints, coupled with some chains/theatres that consistently damaged the prints, led to the demise of 70mm.

Manny Knowles

- posted 09-19-2010 01:05 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I lived in Michigan, I caught 70mm releases of WILLOW and DIE HARD and both were damaged within the first month of release.

WILLOW had mag. dropouts throughout the climax (the Witch's demise).

DIE HARD had print damage and missing footage, probably in the first reel.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 09-19-2010 01:14 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL Manny, do you remember the Gateway 5 in La Mirada?

I saw "Amadeus" there in 70mm..and they had a dropout that brought unintentional laughs..it was during the scene where Saleri was talking about Mozart's compositions, it was right after the line "...a single note, hanging there unwavering".

Oops.

I told the manager about it and two days later they had a replacement reel.

That theatre was opened by SRO and they knew how to do film right..the presentations were always bright, clean prints, in focus and started on time. They even had waterfall curtains (!) that they used to do curtain calls between trailers and the feature!!

But when SRO went under and a certain chain took over it all went to shit in a very short time.

Manny Knowles

- posted 09-19-2010 01:30 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yikes, Tony! This was the 80's -- a loooong time ago!

I'm pretty sure they were both United Artists "The Movies at..." ??

I don't remember which suburb. I want to say Farmington Hills, but I'm not even sure that's a real place in Michigan.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 09-19-2010 02:01 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep it was a long time ago, and yep it was the 80's.

But the Gateway 5 was in So. Calif., just off the 5 freeway.

I take it you were in Michigan back then? [Smile]

SRO was an independent chain which had great theatres, excellent staffing and quality presentations. I think they went under due to over-expansion.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-19-2010 02:48 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Let me say first that I LOOOOOOOOVE 70mm! My fondest memories of running film were at the GCC Northpark in Dallas where we ran lots and lots of it. Given a choice, I will still to this day take a 70mm print over a 35mm print (assuming they are both in equal condition).

With that being said I'm curious to a bit more details on Steve's numbers. Steve, are those numbers based upon resolution in film TODAY or back in the 80s?

Digital sound on 35mm is what killed 70mm, although I do agree carrying those damned things up the stairs wasn't much fun.

Still though I have to point out that since most 70mm prints were actually blowups, and of those we're talking mostly 80s, that is the basis of my post. With that being said, lets take a blowup from the 80s. Comparing that to a 35mm print of the same title (from the same printing), the 70mm blows it away. Its not even funny how much better the 70mm is. (If Joe was comparing it, he would probably use an analogy of a high bitrate blu-ray vs. a 3 generation "EP" VHS dub.)

BUT...compare that 70mm print from the 80s against a general release print made at a Technicolor lab (not the crappy Deluxe high speed prints from Canada) over the last 10 years and suddenly the 70mm print isn't so special due to technology advances in printing and filmstocks. I've seen regular release prints over the last decade that are superior visually to the 70mm blowups from the 80s. I can make that statement fairly because I have the capability of side-by-side comparisons today, whereas most of the people on the internet do that comparison based from their memory 20+ years ago, which is not fair nor accurate at all.

We also have to consider what happens when we take an 80s 70mm print and compare it to a recent 35mm re-print of the same title. Its sad but true, the 35mm reprint made within the last several years HAS A SHARPER IMAGE than the 70mm original print! This is no joke. Welcome to reality.

Then we get into sound. I am in the camp that 70mm mag sound was phenomenal and better than digital sound today...BUT the trick is finding a print that doesn't have mag damage! Once the tracks have wear or damage to them from an incompetent operator (or setup tech), the print is junk. All it takes is one pass.

From there we can compare sound mixes. I would imagine a mix such as Star Trek from 2009 or Inception as being even better on SR 70mm mag...but can anyone really find a mix from the 80s that was better than those recent examples of great sound mixing???

It is because of this that I am often surprised that people flock to 70mm revivals featuring blowups. Sure its worth the trip to go see something SHOT in large format like Baraka or Lawrence of Arabia (if you can stay awake), but when I see 70mm prints such as Ghostbusters being in a 70mm revival all I can do is laugh, because that is NOT 70mm in a good light.

Lets concentrate on the Ghostbusters example for a minute. The grain on that is ABSURD! There is simply no reason for it to look sooooooo shitty, but it does. I've ran many high speed 35mm prints from the 80s with the older technology lab work and filmstocks of the day that looked better than Ghostbusters in 70mm...and this is all assuming that the print being shown is in mint condition...which if we all wake up and come back to reality, is not. Most of the 70mm prints out there have wear and print damage. It doesn't take us back to those glory days. Back then 70mm was the best available. Today, we can and have achieved better results.

If only we could see what 70mm was capable of TODAY! Now THAT would be something to see!!!

Contrary to popular belief, 70mm is not just bigger. It has different tolerances on loop sizes, twisting (if platters), mag sound carries its own set of problems making sure everything is degaussed, etc...but gate tension is especially critical. For example, I've never come across a Century JJ machine that had optimal 70mm gate tension just by switching over from 35mm. It has ALWAYS been too much. (That isn't to say there aren't machines that magically are.) On single lens JJs a suitable sized allen wrench can be used to prevent the gate from fully closing at the stopping point needed, but on a turret JJ...well, that's just a pain in the ass to realign.

Most people also don't acknowledge that 70mm is not 70mm. There are different thicknesses of 70mm. One specific match that comes to mind was when we ran Brainstorm. That print was thinner (or thicker, I can't recall) than the other feature we were running as a double feature. Had we not made the proper adjustment to the trap before we ran the "thicker" print, we would have put unnecessary stress and possibly wear onto the print.

Enter 70mm dts...no more mag sound wear concerns, but also no more mag sound for the purists! At the same time we were treated to polyester film base, but if we look back at the example of Titanic in 70mm, the late John Pytlak was sent around the country to personally screen all of the prints 5 months into the run and the GCC Northpark in Dallas was his last stop. He said that most of the prints had bad wear on them that there were only 2 prints prior to ours he had seen which were acceptable (he noted those did have wear, dirt and scratches on them, but weren't too bad). He proclaimed that our print was absolutely flawless, which it was...and for the purists, that was running off of a platter.

Fast forward to TODAY. Does anyone here actually think 70mm has a chance in hell of being presented and the prints NOT be destroyed by incompetent operators???

Nope.

The "glory days" of 70mm are over, but I have to ask, when 4K comes out and a direct comparison is made given all of the technical improvements in filmstock and such...will it be lower, equal or better than regular 70mm blowups? How about films shot in 65mm such as Lawrence of Arabia (with the technology they had at the time vs. today)? A lot of that will depend on what care is taken in how current movies are shot and handled in post production. Time will tell.

Manny Knowles

- posted 09-19-2010 04:36 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And let's not forget to add that even if a film is shot on 65mm, any film print may well come from a digital intermediate. In which case, a digital presentation would be closer to the distribution master than a film print.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  14  15  16 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: