Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Digital Cinema = The death of theaters? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  10  11  12 

Author Topic: Digital Cinema = The death of theaters?
Kyle Butler
Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2010 10:45 PM      Profile for Kyle Butler   Email Kyle Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting topic brought up at a recent conference for second run theaters looking to go digital.

Many theaters have had the same 35mm equipment for years on end with a substantially small expenditure to keep them running.
If there's a problem with film, it can be fixed by way of splice tape, duct tape,rubber bands, etc. Even the most expensive components of a film system can be replaced within a reasonable amount of time without pushing the budget too much.
With the right projectionists and practices in place, its hard to lose a show with film.

Digital is a horse of a different color.
Within the 5 years of operating Digital cinema, our theater has lost 18 shows, and a total of 8 days of operation. We've installed and pulled every major brand of projector/server. Installed and tore down 2 silver screens per 3D auditorium. We've increased our monthly budget to incorporate increased xenon bulb costs, meanwhile, replacing those bulbs 425% more often than before.

Fast forward a few years later, and we've cut the budget. Bumped the hours we run our lamps. Stopped worrying about the "small" issues with picture presentation (Dirty silver screens, bad masking, Image positioning, 3fl light levels etc)

Everyone knows it isn't cheap to go to the movies, but we do it anyways. Why? The circuits claim its the same as going to a concert, or a football game. Its a premium experience. The question is, as the equipment ages and technology progresses, are the exhibitors going to maintain and replace anything? Or have we already set a bad example of what digital cinema can be?
(Poor upkeep, sub par standards (ive never felt like 2k was appropriate for "the big screen")

If you ask me my opinion, id say that home theater technology will surpass what can be had at a theater in less than 15 years time.

I know similar ideas have been posted in the forums, But everyone usually agrees that 35mm will make a comeback in this case. This is about the suggested "end" of movie theaters.

|  IP: Logged

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2010 10:53 PM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been running 35mm film since 1968 and while I love it, I am looking forward to D-cinema.
After a few teething problems and equipment upgrades, our e-cinema system has been operating successfully for some time. It gives me a window into the future.
The only thing that frightens me is the high cost of D-cinema repairs and maintenance compared with film systems. Even replacing major film system components is not daunting.
My observations with film and digital are:
1 You don’t know if there is an issue with image or sound till you run the whole film print.
2 It has become increasingly more difficult to train projectionists and to rely on them. Experienced ones are either dying out or they just don’t want to do it any more. Younger ones have a social life. Rostering is a nightmare. Good pay doesn’t seem as alluring as it once was. It is easier to find people who can play computers than it is to train them how to lace film.
3 Hard drives are much easier to lug up the projection box steps than a box of 7 spools.
4 Film distributors will give us a copy on hard drive any time we want it. There is no nail-biting over whether we can date a print or if it will arrive in time from another location.
5 There is no drama involved in extending or repeating a season of a digital show. Nobody is waiting for the copy on your server.
6 Re-starting a film show back before a problem occurred can be difficult.
7 If nobody is in the booth when a digital show starts, there is little risk of the copy being damaged. Show start time is when the audience wants to be ushered in.
8 Digital copies mean that we won’t have to listen to distributors sobbing about the cost of prints and why you can’t have one.
9 If you have a no-show because it’s a policy session and no one turns up, you have to run the whole film through in real time.
As I have said before, we should all be running 70mm film because that is the best that cinemas could offer. But that is not going to happen. So we must look at what is possible if we want to continue.

Kyle Butler
Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2010 11:16 PM      Profile for Kyle Butler   Email Kyle Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent points ron.
Ill take the offensive on them though to stir things up [Big Grin]

1)The same can be said for digital. Just look at the Iron Man 2 fiasco. Our prints were unlocked at 8pm, giving us just enough time to build em and screen them before the midnight showing. The digital copy didn't arrive until Thursday, and the keys weren't active until 11:45pm, Just 15 minutes prior to the showing. hardly enough time to check for problems. and its not the first time ive had problems with the distributors screwing with our screenings.

2)I can't argue with that. I work with 4 other projectionists, and not a single of them does a thing. I honestly feel like the picture would be projected on the ceiling, with no sound and in the wrong format if i wasn't there. Digital certainly takes the monkeys out of the booth and puts them in concessions where they belong [Razz]

3)Can't argue with that one.

4)We still have an incredibly hard time getting drives to us. In some cases, its taken less time and less work to receive replacement reels, or prints altogether than to get a hard drive to us on time.

5) Holdovers are definitely much easier on everyone with digital. As long as they actually get those keys out to us! (could just be our bad luck)

6)Good point

7)Good point

8)For the most part that's true. However, it seems that the distributors are using VPF'S, shipping costs, hard drive costs,production and intermediate costs as a new "Well, this is why we can't send you a copy"

9)With our few film showings left, we just call down and ask if we've sold. We don't start it until someone shows up. Not as convenient as a good ol "stop" button on a server,but not bad.

Amen to 70mm

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-12-2010 11:21 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know Sony projectors that use 4K lamps, the lamps must be changed every 6 weeks. Save big $$$ with digital cinema today!

Kyle Butler
Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2010 11:26 PM      Profile for Kyle Butler   Email Kyle Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know ALL ABOUT em.
When were lucky, we get 7 WHOLE WEEKS of use on a $1250 lamp.
What a deal.
And that $1000+ lamp gives us a whopping 4.5FL of light at its best.

I can't get over how great it is [thumbsup]

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2010 04:02 AM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot …
10. Assembling film trailers can be a bitch, paticularly here in Oz where the law requires us to attach the ratings tag to every one. We have to find a frame line, cut off the advertising approval stuff, check the OFALC database (lots of fun) for the right classification, find a tag, splice it the right way (yes, I have been guilty of classifying an M film as rated W) and assemble it with a couple of others. More joy still if you're changing them on the bottom platter. When a show is running, its easy to risk a frontal labotomy from the middle platter while you're in prayer mode on the bottom one. With digital it's a breeze.
Conversely, I can do all this while a film is running. I cant load a digital file while a digital feature is showing.
Kyle, glad you agree on the 70mm thing. Sad though. I know many people who won't go to a 3D movie but I never heard anyone say they wouldn't go to a 70mm show. Our industry certainly knows how to shoot itself in the foot; just as well it is too dumb to load a gun.
When we get a D for showmanship, I will be keeping the film gear in place, just as we are with e-cinema.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-13-2010 08:20 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 8000 pound gorilla in this is the "theatrical window." According to the Wall Street journal, (see post elsewhere on site), there is a proposal that cinema will only get 3-4 weeks of exclusitivity.

If this is true, film vs digital won't matter much except to those who spent all their money. Louis

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2010 12:15 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought a 4K lamp was warranted for 1200 hours...maybe 900...

Todd McCracken
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2010 03:17 PM      Profile for Todd McCracken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the contrary I consider D-cinema to be not the death of theaters, but the rebirth.

Now sites can play pristine copies of legacy titles along with any other content encoded in DCI compliant format.

Additionally the option of showing live content (often in 3d) has proved to be a huge profit generating avenue for sites so equipped.

The options for content of your choosing has just been opened up greatly, with a bit of vision and imagination so can your profits.

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2010 03:37 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The death of cinema has been predicted since the birth of cinema. Radio was supposed to kill cinema. Television was supposed to kill cinema. VHS was supposed to kill cinema. Cable was supposed to kill cinema. Laserdisc was supposed to kill cinema. The internet was supposed to kill cinema. PPV was supposed to kill cinema. DVD was supposed to kill cinema. Widescreen televisions were supposed to kill cinema. Gaming devices like the XBox and PlayStation which can also be used as an entertainment portal were supposed to kill cinema.

Cinema's not going anywhere anytime soon. It's just evolving, like it always has.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2010 04:50 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone remember the TV show "Futurerama"? If was on fox at 7PM Sunday nights, a few years ago. It was an anamated show, that takes place in the year 3000. In one scene, we are in a projection booth, and what is showing the movie? A 35MM projector! [Razz]

Kyle Butler
Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2010 07:33 PM      Profile for Kyle Butler   Email Kyle Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: James Westbrook
I thought a 4K lamp was warranted for 1200 hours...maybe 900...
Nope. 600 at most (at least for LTIX) They have 3 different models in the field ranging from 500 to 600 warranted hours.

quote: Louis Bornwasser
The 8000 pound gorilla in this is the "theatrical window." According to the Wall Street journal, (see post elsewhere on site), there is a proposal that cinema will only get 3-4 weeks of exclusitivity.

If this is true, film vs digital won't matter much except to those who spent all their money. Louis

Absolutely. That was something that was brought up. The combination of decreased showmanship, lagging technology, and the smaller release window could do it. It's going to make more sense to shorten the window now too. with 35mm prints costing several thousand $$, the studios and distributors wanted to keep the prints in circulation for as long as possible to increase the profit margin for each print. With digital, there isn't a huge difference financially if movies are pulled in 5 vs 5 months.

quote: Edward Havens
The death of cinema has been predicted since the birth of cinema. Radio was supposed to kill cinema. Television was supposed to kill cinema. VHS was supposed to kill cinema. Cable was supposed to kill cinema. Laserdisc was supposed to kill cinema. The internet was supposed to kill cinema. PPV was supposed to kill cinema. DVD was supposed to kill cinema. Widescreen televisions were supposed to kill cinema. Gaming devices like the XBox and PlayStation which can also be used as an entertainment portal were supposed to kill cinema.

Cinema's not going anywhere anytime soon. It's just evolving, like it always has.

Valid point, but i feel like things are a lot different this time around. VHS, radio, and DVD'S never killed cinema, because it's always been a better experience to see a flick on the big screen. Bigger,better picture, bigger, better sound. Nothing could compete with it. However, were moving to a time when a lot of people have decent home theaters with 1080p and sound that's sometimes better than what can be had at a lot of theaters (sadly). This time around, cinemas are going to have to compete with whats available to the average Joe by upgrading and replacing equipment. This was rarely done before. The only 35mm "upgrades" our theater has invested in, in the last 2 years are technalight kits, which don't cost a lot. Upgrading or replacing DC equipment can be extremely overwhelming with the high cost, and issues with DCI(DCI equipment on loan has to be installed and in use per contracts). Combine that with the shrinking release window, and increasing prices, and i think people will start waiting a month or two to see it at home.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-13-2010 08:02 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pulling LTI 4.2kw's out at 650 and they're warranted at 700 ... glad that I don't see the bill for the bulbs ..

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-13-2010 08:41 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
4K lamp warranties (Rated life) vary with the model as much as with the wattage. For instance, Ushio has three 4KW lamps for the NC2000C. The one with 17,000 lumen output is a 500-hour lamp. the one with a 14,000 lumen output is a 1000-hour lamp. The one with just a 11,500 lumen output is a 1,500-hour lamp. That is all from one lamp manufacturer and in one specific projector.

The Sony 4K lamp (4200-watts, technically) is a a 500-hour lamp and gets about 18000 lumens. There is just the one model of 4K. However, there are 3K and 2K lamps for the Sonys and they get more traditional hours

However, the substantially higher cost of an explosion in DCinema projectors (Damage to the reflector, often glass, UV filter, 3D color wheel, folding mirror, integrator...etc...tend to make one not want to push a lamp like in a film system where often, even after a catastrophic explosion, can be brought back on line, with a dinged up reflector. It is a real rare bird of a film projector to be damaged by a lamp explosion.

Another issue with DCinema projector lamps is that there is no shutter to mask a flickering lamp...any flicker in the lamp immediately shows up on the image so what is acceptable in a film system is often considered much worse in a digital one.

The net results, keeping a DCinema system lamped up is going to cost more than an equivalently illuminated film system.

Steve

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-13-2010 10:08 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ron Curran
Conversely, I can do all this while a film is running. I cant load a digital file while a digital feature is showing.
You can with D-Cinema.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  10  11  12 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: