Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Question on CP2210

Author Topic: Question on CP2210
John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2010 08:46 AM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our principle owner wants to add another 3D screen. The auditorium in question is a 24 ft. wide scope screen (side masking for flat).

Is this size machine (CP2210) sufficient for a Master Image setup? I am worried that we will have to use the maximum bulb and the result may not be satisfactory. I would be more comfortable with the CP2220. Am I right?

Any comments welcomed.

Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-11-2010 09:54 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The CP2210 is a 12000 lumen machine...or thereabouts...depending on the lamp used.

MasterImage is about 18% efficient and the silver screen will have a gain of 2-2.4 (2.3-2.4 when new...closer to 2 after a couple of years)

With a 22'-wide screen, the maximum height you would have is 11.9...multiplying that by 1.896 you get 22.55. Multiplying that by the height of 11.9 and you get the area of 268.31 sq. ft.

The target for 3D is 3.5-5.5 (be on the high side)...so 5.5...multiiply all of this by 5.5 and you get 1476 lumens for a Matte-white screen. Divide that by 2 (screen gain after some use) and you get 738 lumens. Divide that by the efficiency (.18) and you get 4099 lumens. Now to allow for lamp aging add in another 25% you need 5123 lumens to run Master Image 3D at 5.5 lumens The CDXL-18SD has 11,000 lumens available...you could probably even do it with less.

Now, I am in the camp, except for Real-D, that 5.5 is the lumen level I want 1/3 of the way in, not in the center since that is just ONE POINT...silver screens suck that way. so you will likely need closer to 9fL in the center to my way of thinking.

However...you are still covered with just the CDXL-18SD. If you are nervous...there is the CDXL-20SD that can output 13000 lumens.

Consider this.. an NEC NC2000C with their standard 4000 lamp is only outputting about 11500 lumens...that little Christie is brighter than you think. Even the Barco DP2K-15C is only going to get you 12000 lumens with 3000 watts.

So the math says it will work and not be over driven either...especially if you only want 5fL in the very center.

Steve

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: